Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PSG Data from Sleep Study - EDF Formats
PSG Data from Sleep Study - EDF Formats
I had a sleep study in December and asked the sleep lab to provide me with the underlying PSG data.

The data is stored in "standard" EDF files (just like ResMed PAP machine data and data from various other devices).

This means that the data can be viewed with any generic EDF file viewer such as Polyman (in my sig).

Alternatively we can view the data using  "Phillips Respironics Sleepware G3" software.
The Phillips software looks very much like OSCAR but has extra capabilities to annotate events and create reports etc.

I have not explored the capabilities of the software but I've attached a few screenshots to give a feel for it.
The images look cluttered because all possible data graphs are turned on and there isn't it enough screen space to make that useful.

There is a heck of a lot of data available but I wonder if anyone even looks at most of it when doing a "vanilla" sleep study.

I don't know if most sleep labs would be willing to supply this data.  Nothing to lose... I just asked and they said yes.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: PSG Data from Sleep Study - EDF Formats
Do you have a download link for Phillips Respironics Sleepware G3?
Post Reply Post Reply
I (just now) googled for "G3 Software 3.8.1" and found 3 links.

I didn't test the download but the first two hits look OK coming from ..

https://sleepware-g3.software.informer.com/3.8/
Post Reply Post Reply
I'm after this too and made a post earlier . That link is a dodgey site. Did youhave the original setup file?
Post Reply Post Reply
You could try EDFbrowser.  The source code is hosted on EDFbrowser gitlab.  I have used pyEDFLib (which uses EDFbrowser) to inspect EDF files.  pyEDFLib is a python wrapper to EDFbrowser.  pyEDFLib  can be found on pyEDFLib download from PyPi.  If you are so inclined, (or talented) you can nearly recreate all of OSCAR using pyEDFLib.  

There's a learning curve on using EDF files, but I have to say they are quite effective containers for medical information.  ResMed PAP machines also store data as an EDF.  It would be really interesting to review PSG data.
Post Reply Post Reply
I attempted to get my PSG RAW data from OHSU Sleep Lab but they said it was in a special “proprietary” ResMed format for which there is no available patient software.

I recently had another PSG and am going to request that data. If I get the same answer, in reading HIPPA regulations in the US, this appears to be a violation of HIPPA rules which require the medical records to be provided and, to be provided in a format that can be easily accessed and understood.

It simply appears that ResMed and medical providers are breaking the law. They’ll probably claim that they are protecting “proprietary” licensed software. Unfortunately, this is not a good legal argument withhold medical records from patients.

Possible class action!? I’ll post if it happens. I am determined. 

Why? = Prior diagnosed with Sleep Apnea and severe PLMD. PGS results for approx 4hrs: 40 awakenings; 89 arousals (83 unspecified/“spontaneous”, 6 CSA related, AI=20.9/hr); sleep efficiency 59%; approx. 70% N2 sleep, 0% N3; 108 sleep transitions (>13/hr is severe/extreme, mine=27.7/hr), PLM Index 7.5/hr (mild) and “spontaneous” arousal index of 20.9/hr. Physician, embarrassed with the news, refused to watch 2, 2.5 minute videos (each 20 min at 10x speed) I took during study showing repetitive, almost continuous PLMS with arousals. No interest in determining cause of “spontaneous” arousals. Now diagnosed with Sleep Apnea only. Now my wife and kids just think I’m lazy.

You, me, us….deserve better. I encourage everyone to take their own videos of their PSG to keep em’ honest. The answer to overworked health care workers, which I sympathize with, is not providing lower-quality care.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Apnea has gotten worse recently, I have no sleep study, can I just buy a cpcp? replayablecontent 12 217 Yesterday, 12:38 PM
Last Post: replayablecontent
  [CPAP] Titration Study liebano 2 74 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: gainerfull
Question [Diagnosis] Home Sleep Study Results & Feedback togapilot 6 528 03-26-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: togapilot
  CPAP newbie / OSCAR / study feedback Brad124 4 189 03-23-2024, 08:02 AM
Last Post: Brad124
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 117 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
  New to CPAP Titration Study and OSCAR Data Help Needed slowmoto 2 143 03-20-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: slowmoto
  Split night sleep study Bwanajohn51 0 62 03-20-2024, 01:07 PM
Last Post: Bwanajohn51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.