Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

managing myself
managing myself
I started CPAP therapy without a sleep test, and my AHI values look good. I wanted to get your opinion on pressure adjustment as the machine's pressure tends to increase due to flow limitation. I don't want to unnecessarily increase the pressure since my AHI values are low. I'm sharing my 3-day Oscar data with you. Do you think I should increase the pressure, or should I continue with my current settings?"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: managing myself
What I'm seeing on OSCAR indicates you'll need to increase pressure, probably focus on Max for now. I would increase max pressure to 12 to see if things get better.

The target areas I'm seeing that indicates edits being required are first flow limits being present fairly frequently. Since you're using EPR 3 already, this leaves only a pressure increase as your answer. Second item is your pressure chart is skimming along the top in a flat line, also an indicator to increase pressure. The CPAP wants more pressure to act, in this case it's circling back to FL. They typically signal to the CPAP to increase, so it's possible to address this by increasing pressure, reducing FL, which may mean overall nightly pressure may be a bit lower. My reasoning for this is instead of attempting to address FL and running its available high pressure of 10.x, it can go up to 12 and resolve, then drop down as events allow.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
What made you think you needed cpap therapy?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had all the symptoms of sleep apnea, and I went to the doctor, but there was a long waiting list for the sleep test and it was very expensive

Thank you for your response. I will try with a pressure of 12
Post Reply Post Reply
your flow limitations seem quite high. Can you zoom in on your flow rate?
Post Reply Post Reply
Your flow limitations are extremely high with a 95 percentile of 0.3 to 0.61, however at times, they are not present. This tells us that your flow limits change dramatically and that it is likely related to a sleeping position or poor cervical alignment. Without CPAP this may have resulted in clusters of obstructive apnea, or at the very least in a high degree of respiratory effort related arousals (RERA) which I'm certain is a continuing problem. Anyway, it's pretty clear you needed therapy, and you still need to add something to your therapy to resolve this. Please read the positional apnea wiki article and consider what you can do to protect cervical alignment and avoid chin-tucking or whatever results in this very high airway obstruction. In your case, we don't see clusters of OA events, but we see very strong clusters of flow limitation, and this can be very disruptive to sleep. https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...onal_Apnea
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Zoom in on a chunk of those FLs for me please, I want to see what's causing it. I've had wide swaths of that with perfect looking inhales and rounded exhales, which I'm not convinced is anything near as bad as flat-topped inhales.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
zoom in fls

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep, that's a classic RERA at the end of the second zoom that went without a flag. Once you get to EPR 3 and still see things like this, it becomes a little more difficult to figure out how to resolve. Sleeprider's advice is good, to look into positional contributors that may lead to partial flow obstructions. If none of those work, there is another kind of machine with more control over the settings and pressure differentials that you may want to consider.
Look, I'm an engineer, not a doctor! Please don't take my opinion as a substitute for medical advice.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I read the article and realized I was doing the exact opposite of what was written there. I was elevating the head of my bed and using multiple pillows; tonight, I will apply what was mentioned in the article. Thank you all
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help regarding managing leaks Strange54 0 153 03-09-2024, 10:12 AM
Last Post: Strange54
  managing flow limit issues for a newish user? ja989 2 638 09-17-2023, 09:07 AM
Last Post: ja989
  Managing Flow Limits TexasDon 4 923 03-05-2023, 09:57 AM
Last Post: TexasDon
  [Treatment] Managing flow limitations fishfinderG 21 3,672 09-07-2022, 08:23 PM
Last Post: fishfinderG
  Advice for managing humidity please rachel9 3 750 01-18-2022, 10:43 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Managing Leaks asuter060514 5 732 07-07-2021, 06:43 AM
Last Post: multicast
  Managing condensation in a full-face mask emmgee 0 810 05-13-2021, 06:44 PM
Last Post: emmgee

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.