Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PSG Results: Could this be UARS?
RE: PSG Results: Could this be UARS?
(02-13-2020, 11:53 PM)deebob Wrote: That sounds good, the only problem is I'm doing a trial with the CPAP through a sleep clinic, and I'll have to go into the clinical menu and make changes to the settings, which I'm assuming they will see?  Will they be notified that I'm messing with the settings? I'm not sure they'll be happy about that since they're probably used to dealing with patients who don't know what they're doing.

They will be able to see changes if they bother to look. That may or may not happen.

It's your health, so your choice. But we can't really help you if changing settings isn't an option.

I'd do it and be firm if they give you a hassle.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
Always with a ResMed the min pressure should be
Min = 4 + EPR. Or higher, not lower.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2020, 05:46 AM)slowriter Wrote: I don't agree.

If OP changes min pressure to 7 (which as I said earlier, I recommend), pressure will stay pretty stable, unless they need more.

And at least on my machine, the fixed mode doesn't track FL (I can't remember if this is true on the autoset as well, but I suspect it is).

Auto mode effectively offers treatment benefits, and more useful information.

In short, my own view is one should always be on auto mode, and if necessary, adjust settings (typically raising min pressure or EPAP) to stabilize pressure.

Flow limitations are tracked, there is no less data in CPAP mode. I have been using my machine in CPAP mode because my situation is similar to the OP's.

He can try more days in auto but auto is only helpful if the pressure is adjusting to real events AND increasing the pressure helps overcome those events. A number of his pressure increases appear to have occurred either post arousal (due to SWJ/arousal breathing) or the combination of breathing issue/pressure increase caused arousal, in either situation these pressure increases likely were not helpful. 

My thoughts were to switch to CPAP mode with full advantage of EPR as it will be easier for him to sleep like that early on in treatment. Then after a few days if he is seeing anything odd that looks like it could use more pressure then switch back to APAP mode and see if that helps resolve things. Can do the opposite and switch to CPAP mode if he can determine the extra pressure isn't helping but I feel that will take longer to determine.
Post Reply Post Reply
I often advocate fixed pressure. In my last post I suggested a minimum pressure of 7 with EPR at 3. I expect this will result in very stable pressure, and of course you won't experience the weird changing pressure support of 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4 and perhaps 8/5. Geer1 is correct, but simply changing the minimum pressure will get you to the same place. Once you try a minimum pressure of 7.0, a fixed pressure can be considered. All of us are saying the same thing. If you use EPR at 3, then you need a minimum pressure of 7, or as bonjour correctly says, minimum pressure = 4+EPR.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
And just to be super-clear, if you set max = min = 7, you will still get flow limitation data.
Post Reply Post Reply
(02-14-2020, 11:09 AM)Dormeo Wrote: And just to be super-clear, if you set max = min = 7, you will still get flow limitation data.

Yes! 

I forgot to mention that.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training.
Post Reply Post Reply
So I just kept the pressure the same last night until I decide how I want to approach changing the clinic's settings lol

But interestingly OSCAR reported a RERA from last night, which I didn't even know it could do.  There was also another awakening earlier in the night that seemed to be accompanied by some flow limitation and pressure increase.  So this might be pointing to UARS?

My Oura ring awakenings match the OSCAR awakenings again, so it seems to be at least pretty accurate in measuring those, except for maybe missing 1 or 2 brief arousals.  The sleep cycles are still probably much less accurate, it's really hard to tell.  The last few nights with the CPAP my Deep Sleep has been way less according to the Oura ring, and REM is a bit on the low side. I was previously averaging like 2.5 hrs in Deep Sleep and now it's like 1.5. But again, there's no way of knowing how accurate that is, but whatever's happening, the Oura ring is reporting much less Deep Sleep on the CPAP for the first few days. I actually feel OK today other than waking up like 5 times.

Oura Ring.

I'm trying to attach a couple other Oscar Screenshots but it's saying I've reached my limit.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
I can't attach this other image so here's an IMGUR link: https://i.imgur.com/GHVvJ1G.png

This was around my first awakening of the night around 02:35.
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't trust those RERA flags, I have had obvious RERA's that weren't flagged and obviously non RERA's that have been flagged. To me that doesn't necessarily look like a RERA that it flagged in that instance.

I am curious to see some shorter duration views of your flow rate though. Some periods at lower pressure (around 5ish) and some at higher pressure (close to 7) would be good to see if there are differences in waveform with the increased EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
20% of sleep time in deep sleep is good, but your REM certainly could use a boost.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 15 469 Yesterday, 12:40 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  New to BiPAP, hoping for titration assistance? (Probable UARS) Easing5319 15 1,139 04-17-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: jkossis
  Oscar CPAP Optimization Results-Awesome!? SeePak 18 399 04-16-2024, 05:32 AM
Last Post: SeePak
  BiPAP Pressure for Possible UARS bertchintus 50 2,169 04-16-2024, 02:57 AM
Last Post: SingleH
  [Treatment] Help with interpreting OSCAR results 6bez8dF5lf 7 195 04-15-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: 6bez8dF5lf
  Test results Kmzizzle 18 1,541 04-12-2024, 10:36 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  [Treatment] New to CPAP but keen to learn - Please could you help with results and Q's? JustinWoods 19 1,958 04-10-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Jay51

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.