Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

PSG Results: Could this be UARS?
RE: PSG Results: Could this be UARS?
Glad to hear you stuck out the test and as I thought you might you seem to have noticed a difference once concluding the trial.

Keep us informed on your results with Vauto. I have been really wanting to try one myself to see if it takes things to the next level but haven't committed to anything yet as I do have an in clinic test lined up.

In the case where you think there is some piece of the picture still missing I think you might benefit from researching the poorly named chronic fatigue syndrome. As I keep learning more about it I can't help but think it is at play with myself and I believe others as well. I have wondered about this for most of the thread but I didn't want to bring it up until the trial was done so it didn't mess up your mindset. 

In short I understand it to be an issue with either the autonomic neurological or immune system brought on by a number of possible issues (viral infections are one known cause, genetic predisposition seems to be a possibility, digestion issues or synthesis of neurotransmitters, high periods of stress is thought to possibly trigger it as well). I think treating the symptoms helps the body recover and the more symptoms you recognize and treat the better you will feel. Sleep disturbances are common and I think they have one of the biggest effects due to the fatigue poor sleep causes, that is why I think CPAP and bilevel seem to help. I actually have a bit of a theory that the reason bilevel seems to help some "UARS" people even though sleep results often don't really show an obvious reason for its use is just the fact that the bilevel eases the effort of breathing which makes things a bit easier on the body helping it to recover. 

This following article is what kind of opened my eyes about the issue and in a way confirmed to me that there was more at play than just a random bunch of unexplained symptoms. Just using myself as a personal example I have a CPAP machine and take dymista (steroid, antihistamine combo spray) for non allergic rhinitis, a PPI for LPR reflux and polyethylene glycol for IBS (as well as eating healthier and smaller portions and also trying probiotics etc). All have provided improvement both physically and also mentally since the unexplained physical issues don't bother me as much. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4761639/
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
So I finally got my Aircurve 10 VAuto and tried it for the first time last night.  I had actually been sleeping quite a bit better the past couple weeks, even without the CPAP, and I was almost thinking I may not even need it....but sleep was still not perfect, it was probably just good relative to the really bad sleep I had been having since October. But it definitely seems like I broke out of the anxiety/low arousal threshold cycle that I was in previously. I have been only waking up a few times per night, rather than like every hour.

The first not with the Bipap wasn't great though....mainly because they sent me the wrong nasal mask, the N30i instead of the N30 that I was used to...and I'd also been sleeping with no PAP for a couple weeks so I wasn't used to it, and the feeling of the bilevel was quite a bit different than the Airsense 10. I could really feel a noticeable difference in every inhale.  I tried using the "S" mode instead of VAuto, because I wanted to be at more of a fixed pressure, but it looks like it didn't record Flow Limitations....is this machine not capable of that? Or do I need to be in VAuto mode for that?  Because FL was definitely one of my main problems before so it would be nice to be able to see that in Oscar.

https://i.imgur.com/C6ghHqW.png

I had some issues getting to sleep for a while, and that's what the CAs are - fiddling with the mask etc.  And I woke up at like 630AM and took the mask off and slept a few more hours without it. I'll probably give this mask another try but I'm mainly waiting for them to send me the other mask before I hope to get comfortable with this machine.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sadly the Aircurve does not record flow limit data in S mode. My advice, having gone down the same path, is to give it a week or two and go by how you feel.

Breaking out of the low arousal threshold is an important thing. I hope that trend continues.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok good to know. Does it record FL in VAuto mode?  Because couldn't I just set a small range for VAuto ?
Post Reply Post Reply

Donate to Apnea Board  
In VAuto mode, you can set EP, then PS, then set max IP to equal their sum. E.g., EP 5, PS 4, max IP 9. You will see FL this way and be effectively at fixed pressures.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-25-2020, 02:15 PM)Dormeo Wrote: In VAuto mode, you can set EP, then PS, then set max IP to equal their sum. E.g., EP 5, PS 4, max IP 9. You will see FL this way and be effectively at fixed pressures.

Dormeo is right here, but I still don't think you should constrain the machine that much deebob. 

The night you posted was set for PS of 4, min EPAP of 4, and max IPAP of 8.4.

I would change max IPAP to 10, and min EPAP to 5; keep PS at 4 for now.
Caveats: I'm just a patient, with no medical training. And my first experience with xPAP was fairly recent. So I'm somewhere along the path of a steep learning curve.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Limited knowledge on CPAP results and how to tinker with it hannahthefox 3 58 Yesterday, 07:30 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Question [Diagnosis] Do I have UARS? weiss27md 11 205 03-31-2020, 04:23 PM
Last Post: slowriter
  UARS tarah 208 6,851 03-31-2020, 12:34 PM
Last Post: tarah
  UARS (my story). Look for advice. deity999 4 206 03-23-2020, 10:52 AM
Last Post: bonjour
  Thank you all - best results yet! YYCBrian 6 159 03-19-2020, 04:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  The results are in DakotaNorth 10 271 03-15-2020, 08:29 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  help UARS and cpap suddenly not working hgabs 4 186 03-08-2020, 04:25 PM
Last Post: tarah

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.