Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Pacemaker for the Tongue to Replace CPAP?
Pacemaker for the Tongue to Replace CPAP?
Scary article from the New England Journal of Medicine.

Article from NEJM.org on OSA

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Pacemaker for the Tongue to Replace CPAP?
Is this the one that makes the tongue twitch? One woman here did the trial for one but the company went out of business mid trial. Then she and the other participants had to decide if they were going to have it removed then or wait to see if anyone bought them or leave it in. I can't remember if she ever reported back what happened.

I don't think it would work for everyone and I think it would annoy the heck out of some people. What they are doing is, essentially, irritating a voluntary muscle and not letting it relax (while the user sleeps) by causing it to continually pull itself forward. By pulling forward, the tongue moves itself and and other tissue out of the airway and helps to keep it clear. It won't completely keep it clear but it helps.

Personally? No way would I have it done. But then I'm not one of those who hates the CPAP nor has any kind of problems with it. I see it as a treatment. I don't have to like it. I don't have to enjoy it. I am, however, rather fond of living.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
(05-30-2014, 03:24 PM)gjw Wrote: Scary article from the New England Journal of Medicine.

Article from NEJM.org on OSA

;-> gjw

I did not find any mention of the tongue in the abstract and I do not foresee atrial pacemakers with overdrive for sleep apnea patients in the near future but, of course I am no MD.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Found an extended version of the NEJM article.
Extended NEJM article on OSA treatment

;-> gjw
Post Reply Post Reply
Still not saying what they are stimulating other than the "upper airway". If it is the entire throat area, then that would be weird.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
I was looking at the wrong article.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Looking at the sketch, and making assumptions, I wonder if instead of constantly stimulating the "upper airway" like the tongue study did, if it instead stimulates the upper airway when it detects lack of breathing? It has that "sensing lead" going into a lung.

If it only stimulates when needed vs all the time, that *might* be a more viable alternative.

Still, I just don't "get" the mindset of someone who would rather have this than wear a CPAP mask at night.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
The bottom line is the can't make you do anything you don't want to do.
To err is human, but to really mess things up, you need a computer.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How do you know when to replace a mask? Lanners 1 82 03-26-2024, 10:52 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Thumbsdown Tongue Holder / Retainer with CPAP does not meet expectations. G. Szabo 3 91 03-18-2024, 06:47 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  What can I do to stay on my front (positional apnea due to large tongue)? aplacelikethis 1 496 03-18-2024, 10:39 AM
  Curing CSA by upgrading to CRT pacemaker? Per Laursen 1 177 03-02-2024, 11:44 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Tongue retaining device with cpap question blancobonzo 1 973 02-21-2024, 07:20 PM
  Replace mask: recommendations too often? BlueSky1958 1 244 01-28-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 577 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.