Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Packing CPAP into luggage - Thoughts ...Yes / no ?
Packing CPAP into luggage - Thoughts ...Yes / no ?
First time poster Smile

Also travelling internationally for first time with CPAP in a few weeks.

Will be taking CPAP (Resmed Air Mini) on flight with me as carry on luggage but chosen not to use it.

However for the rest of my trip when catching trains, buses, general getting from A to B ......I'm planning on packing my machine into my luggage for extra security of it, and ease of travel for me. Have lugged it around separately on a couple of domestic trips.  Realise this will take up room ....but that is what I am thinking at the moment. 

On a separate but related issue, do people pack their machines away in a locked bag every morning when staying in hotel's etc ....also for security ?  (Have both left it out and packed it away on domestic trips ....depends on how paranoid I am feeling ! Big Grin )

Never had to consider these things before and genuinely interested in people's experiences and ideas. All travel chatter seems to be about travelling on flights...which is fair enough.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Packing CPAP into luggage - Thoughts ...Yes / no ?
G'day DozeyDamo. Welcome to Apnea Board.

When flying I always take my machine as carry-on. Checked baggage goes astray too often to take the chance.

On trains or buses it's probably OK to pack the machine in your suitcase, as you will probably either carry it yourself or have your eyes on it when it gets stowed. There's a lot less chance of it going astray, and it's also likely to be treated more gently.

As far as leaving it out in your hotel, I do this all the time. Cameras, watches (and cash, of course) are potential temptations but nobody is going to steal a CPAP.
Post Reply Post Reply
I haven't traveled extensively since commencing my own therapy in December, but my travels included three weeks aboard a cruise through the Panama Canal and a four night stay at a hotel in the interior of British Columbia.  I left my machine out on the night table both times without incident, but I was careful to keep the tubing tucked well out of the way of careless feet, and the same for the power cord.  As for the air travel to the cruise, I carried the machine and accessories with me in the cabin.  When you do that, it will be treated just like a computer or other electronic device, and you will be asked to remove it from your luggage if that is where you placed it, and you will be asked to extract the device from its own case and place it on one of the trays for scanning.

This one key factor to healthy living is not something I would entrust to the thoughtful employees working down on the ramp and in the luggage tunnels.
Post Reply Post Reply
Leaving it in the hotel during the day: I normally put it back in the case and put the case on a desk or something. I figure if I leave it out, housekeeping will probably be moving it around when straightening the room, so keeping it in the case keeps their hands off of it.

Luggage issues: Carry it on whenever possible. Putting it into checked luggage means it's going to be tossed around pretty severely. Other bags might be thrown on top of it. It just isn't a good idea. If you are going to be taking your luggage with you, like on a train or bus, and have some control over how roughly your bag will be handled then packing it in a suitcase is probably OK. I've done that myself. An alternative - consider a backpack. You don't need a very large backpack to hold a CPAP, depending on the size of the case. It's pretty convenient for moving around inside an airport. The backpack will count as a carry-on but the CPAP will not, you can adjust your loads accordingly.
Post Reply Post Reply
When flying, I always carry the machine in its carry-case separately, and it is not counted against my carry-on allowance. This prevents loss and damage and ensures it will be at my destination. I recently traveled by motorcycle from PA to South Dakota for a couple weeks. I carried the machine, mask, power cord in my luggage packed with the clothes. This took less room and was safe.

While at the motels and hotels, I have never felt the need to lock the machine away and leave it setup for use. Never a problem. I have found I need to carry an outlet strip/ surge suppressor. Some of the hotels have very few outlets or ones that do not securely hold the 2-prong non-polarized plug on my Resmed. I was actually unable to run the machine at one motel because all the plugs had such poor contacts in the outlets. A 3-prong surge suppressor from Walmart ($10) fixed that, and provided outlets for phone and motorcycle comm charging.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-05-2018, 09:41 AM)Sleeprider Wrote: ...

Some of the hotels have very few outlets or ones that do not securely hold the 2-prong non-polarized plug on my Resmed.  I was actually unable to run the machine at one motel because all the plugs had such poor contacts in the outlets.

Another of the problems I have.  The first thing I do is look to see where the nearest outlet is.  That determines which side of the bed, or even which bed, I use.  It's not that easy - by the time the hotel has a clock radio and lamp plugged into that outlet that's hidden behind the headboard it can take a little effort to get power to the CPAP.  Some hotels are getting a little better about it and installing lamps that have a built-it outlet because they know customers want to at least plug in a phone charger.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have a 6' extension cord. If I need one longer than the 6' plus the machine's cord length, I'm calling the front desk. I've been noticing that hotels are starting to use more outlets. Usually on a lamp or near the desk.

Always carry your machine onto the plane. Medical devices do not count against your carry-on count. It does not have to be marked medical but I do have a luggage tag I got from an online DME that states what it is.

If you are there to see your machine loaded, then letting the handlers at buses and trains would be fine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I carry my machine onboard in my backpack for both domestic and international flights. When I had the Respironics 760, the humidifier travelled in my checked luggage but now that I've got the Resmed Aircurve it goes into a large ziplock bag before going into my travel backpack with humidifier attached. The ziplock bag makes it easier to present for security screening.

I also carry a cube shaped outlet strip which also has two USB slots and I also take a 2 metre extension cord. Like Paula O2 said, if all that won't reach then there is a problem. That said, in my cabin on the 'Spirit of Tasmania' it took both the cube outlet and the extension cord to reach the only available power outlet.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are travelling on an aircraft always, always carry your CPAP on board with you.
This will make sure you and it arrives are the same destination, also it has a lot less chance of damage
If going abroad, take an extension cable with you with two sockets, one for your phone charger and the other for your CPAP.  It does not need to be a heavy cable, 6 amps should be enough and 6mtrs.  6mtrs as sometimes the sockets can be a long way from the bed.  Buy an adaptor for your extension to plug into for the country you are going to, or get a universal kit.  Some airlines need to know you are taking it on board with you if you are taking it as extra hand luggage, other are not fussy, but in Europe they can be, so let them know you are taking a CPAP (medical equipment) on board with you.
Security in Europe can be a bit fussy and might ask you to unpack it, so expect it.  Take a letter with you explaining what it is and if you get an email or letter from an airline in Europe take a copy of this on you, you might need it.
Though airlines are getting a lot more used to CPAPs and so is security, but security get a bit jittery now and again, especially if there has been a scare anywhere in the world.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
As others said, make CPAP a carry on. It's not counted against the allowance for the carry on bag. That keeps it with you and not having it get sidetracked to Timbuktu. Also it won't get damaged.
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEBSITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,756 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,516 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,571 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 2 834 12-17-2023, 06:58 PM
Last Post: stargazing
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 420 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 404 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull
  Anyone seen it/tried it? Thoughts. David Clark 6 733 06-16-2023, 11:51 AM
Last Post: YipeekiOH

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.