Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Pico Nasal
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

Pain in sides
First time poster, having got my CPAP a week ago. I've had a few very minor side effects - very slight nasal dryness which the doctors do not think requires humidity (a simple nasal mist spray in the morning fixes that) and very slight pain in my diaphragm which only lasts for about 30 min after waking (they say this wiill ease as the muscles get used to the slightly increased pressure).

The one they did find unusual was pains in my latissimus dorsi muscles, not actually in my back but a line along my sides. The pain was quite intense the first few mornings. It has eased a bit but is still there each morning . They suspect it is probably due to sleeping in the same position for longer. At their suggestion I tried some stretching exercises this morning which helped a bit but not completely.

Has anybody else experienced this?
08-12-2015 08:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
3porpoise Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt ASV
Mask Type: Full face mask
Mask Make & Model: Resmed mirage Quattro
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: epap 5 PS 3-8
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: the world hasn't always been flat

Sex: Undisclosed
RE: Pain in sides
Hi Nautilus, welcome,
Glad there's minimal side effects for you. Does take some adjusting , for sure.
You notice whether you may be swallowing air (aerophagia) or not? I notice your pressure isn't high but we are all different.
08-12-2015 09:40 PM
Papit Offline

Preferred Members

Machine: ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: ResMed AirFit P10
Humidifier: AirCurve 10
CPAP Pressure: 7 - 17
CPAP Software: ResScan SleepyHead

Other Comments: Licensed Professional Engineer, California

(08-12-2015 08:58 PM)Nautilus Wrote:  First time poster, having got my CPAP a week ago. I've had a few very minor side effects - very slight nasal dryness which the doctors do not think requires humidity (a simple nasal mist spray in the morning fixes that) and very slight pain in my diaphragm which only lasts for about 30 min after waking (they say this wiill ease as the muscles get used to the slightly increased pressure).

The one they did find unusual was pains in my latissimus dorsi muscles, not actually in my back but a line along my sides. The pain was quite intense the first few mornings. It has eased a bit but is still there each morning . They suspect it is probably due to sleeping in the same position for longer. At their suggestion I tried some stretching exercises this morning which helped a bit but not completely.

Hi Nautilus. A little added humidity wouldn't hurt anything and will likely help with the nasal dryness and any throat irritation. It did for me. If it were me I'd go back to the doc or DME and see whether he might make a temporary adjustment in your pressure setting to help you ease your way into this. If he won't, I agree with him that you'll soon be over the hump with the aching sides. I've hear of this before. I hope you won't let it be a show-stopper. Best of luck. -- Papit
08-13-2015 12:33 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

Welcome

Hi Nautilus,
sounds like your muscles are adapting to the elevated exhalation resistance.
It should fade away after about a week.

Hang in there!

Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
08-13-2015 09:16 AM
DariaVader Offline
Apnea Board Facebook Editor
Monitors

Machine: Resmed S9 AutoSet
Mask Type: Nasal pillows
Mask Make & Model: Airfit P10 for Her
Humidifier: H5i humidifier with ClimateLine heated hose
CPAP Pressure: 8-15
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments: diabetes II, Thyroidectomized, Primary Immune Deficiency, and the list goes on :P

Sex: Female

+1 for humidity! the doc who said that has never had a windtunnel blowing thru his sinuses all night Tongue

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
Tongue Suck Technique for prevention of mouth breathing:
  • Place your tongue behind your front teeth on the roof of your mouth
  • let your tongue fill the space between the upper molars
  • gently suck to form a light vacuum
Practising during the day can help you to keep it at night

هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه هههههه
08-13-2015 10:04 AM

Donate to Apnea Board
Shastzi Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: ResMed S9 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: FitLife Total face mask
Humidifier: F&P HC150 with Hybernite heated hose.
CPAP Pressure: 15cm-20cm H2O (auto)
CPAP Software: SleepyHead Other Software

Other Comments: CMS50-F wearable Oximeter; Software: SPO2 Assistant

oh yes, humidity.
Last night I crashed and didn't get my secondary humidifier seated properly so it never heated up.
(yes I have two-stages of humidification )
I ended up waking up about a dozen times to re-wet my mouth again so I could swallow.
My AHI went up quite a bit since I never really got to sleep and now
the rest of the day is like crap.

I wont be letting that happen again soon.

Don't be afraid to crank up your humidity till your mouth/etc stays hydrated.
It might seem a bit like a steam bath but if it keeps you from drying out you still sleep better.

Sleep-well

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2015 03:08 PM by Shastzi.)
08-13-2015 03:07 PM
Nautilus Offline

New Members

Machine: Transcend II
Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Pico Nasal
Humidifier: none
CPAP Pressure: 7
CPAP Software: Other Software

Other Comments:

Thanks for the comments. You were right, the pain subsided by the end of the second week. No pain at all in the mornings now!
08-17-2015 09:02 PM

Donate to Apnea Board
vsheline Offline

Advisory Members

Machine: S9 VPAP Adapt (USA Model# 36007, not better 36037 or 36067)
Mask Make & Model: F10 or SimPlus w/ 2Liners. MirageQuatro & Gecko gel pad
Humidifier: H5i
CPAP Pressure: 15 EPAP, PS 5-10
CPAP Software: ResScan

Other Comments: Marfan Syndrome, chronic bradycardia, occasional Cheyne-Stokes Respiration

(08-12-2015 08:58 PM)Nautilus Wrote:  The one they did find unusual was pains in my latissimus dorsi muscles, not actually in my back but a line along my sides. The pain was quite intense the first few mornings. It has eased a bit but is still there each morning . They suspect it is probably due to sleeping in the same position for longer.

Hi Nautilus,

Maybe not related, but I find that, in order to be able to sleep always on my sides, I need to use a mattress topper foam cushion, 3" thick, to keep my sides from becoming sore. I have sensitive skin.

Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment. The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies - not on matters concerning treatment for Sleep Apnea. I think it is now too late to change the name of the group but I think Voting Member group would perhaps have been a more descriptive name for the group.
(This post was last modified: 08-18-2015 01:51 AM by vsheline.)
08-18-2015 01:49 AM
Emmett Offline

New Members

Machine: Phillips repironics bipap
Mask Make & Model: repironics
Humidifier: repironic system
CPAP Pressure: 18/12
CPAP Software: Not using software Other Software

Other Comments:

(08-12-2015 08:58 PM)Nautilus Wrote:  First time poster, having got my CPAP a week ago. I've had a few very minor side effects - very slight nasal dryness which the doctors do not think requires humidity (a simple nasal mist spray in the morning fixes that) and very slight pain in my diaphragm which only lasts for about 30 min after waking (they say this wiill ease as the muscles get used to the slightly increased pressure).

I have had severe back muscle pain and cramping using my bipap machine which I don't get when I sleep without it. I have been taking the medication Omeperzole for acid reflux disease daily which is reported to cause magnesium deficiency. I discontinued the Omeperzole for a few days and have been taking an over the counter magnesium calcium supplement (Slow Mag) and the pain and cramping has resolved and I can sleep the night through and morning muscle stiffness and pain has disipated. I wish I would have obtained a serum magnesium level before my experiment but didn't. Perhaps this wil be meaningful for you. Good luck.
09-07-2015 11:57 AM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tooth pain, jaw shifting? achancesw 3 254 09-30-2016 06:54 AM
Last Post: Roy289
  Help with nasal pillow and nose pain jane bradley 4 531 09-18-2016 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Sleep Apnea sufferers allowed to use OTC pain killers? Jupiter23 7 618 07-21-2016 01:17 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Pain killers as a sleep aid JJJ 9 562 07-20-2016 06:45 PM
Last Post: trish6hundred
  Pressure settings causing chest pain Farmacist 19 1,374 06-22-2016 04:33 AM
Last Post: holden4th
  Pain medication limitations after surgery? pumpkln 12 1,151 05-20-2016 02:25 AM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  OMG..I am miserable with bad gas pain shutz1012 14 1,731 11-25-2015 08:37 PM
Last Post: shutz1012