Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Longer hose question
RE: Longer hose question
(05-19-2016, 02:57 AM)kwhenrykerr Wrote: I would think that being as air is very compressible increasing the hose volume by adding would lessen the effect of any change in air flow until the increase in volume is overcome. The sensors that record events are going to be set for the expected volume. This longer hose may make the recorded number of triggered events change when in fact they have not.

That said I put a longer hose on my cpap to add a place to hookup the oxygen hose. It makes my numbers look better. I just know that when I use the longer hose and oxygen that the reports are false. But I feel better when it is used. Waking up without a pounding head is nice.

events are measured by monitoring the *flow* of air, you can look at the flow from your machine using sleepyhead.

a longer hose will not affect the flow readings, it will still quite accurately record your inhalations, exhalations and pauses in breathing, (apneas) as well as reductions in flow (hypopneas) those being the events that are recorded.

as mentioned, a longer hose, and thus more resistance to flow will minutely affect the actual pressure experienced at the mask, especially with a bilevel machine, which is why resmed has a setting for the 3 meter (10 foot) hose, so that that the machine can better compensate for this pressure drop.

in other words, the reports are not false.
Post Reply Post Reply
Have you tried moving it onto the floor under the bed? The only down side to that is those dust bunnies are are evil. Dielaughing
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Pete1. Is the sound bothering just you or a bed partner as well?

I ask because when I hear my machine's sounds while using it, I feel like I'm "hearing" it through my mask.

Do you know what setting you are using for A-Flex? (the exhale pressure comfort setting) I've been using CPAP for about four months now, and the only time I've been aware of my machine's sound bothering me, I had the Flex setting at 3. I've had it at 1 for the last couple of months.

I don't know if that has any bearing on your situation, but I thought I'd mention it.

Post Reply Post Reply
You also want to make sure that your mask resistance setting is correct for the type of mask your are using. If you are using a Respironics mask, the resistance setting is on the package. If you are using a ResMed or other brand with your system one, it is recommended to leave the setting at 0.

I have found that an incorrect mask setting allows the machine to make much noise.

Of course that has nothing to do with hose length.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-19-2016, 03:54 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Have you tried moving it onto the floor under the bed? The only down side to that is those dust bunnies are are evil. Dielaughing

[Image: b1de10bb1aa8c470f3c86437eb63380d.jpg]
Post Reply Post Reply
Laugh-a-lotLaugh-a-lot
(05-19-2016, 08:37 AM)palerider Wrote:
(05-19-2016, 03:54 AM)pupcamper Wrote: Have you tried moving it onto the floor under the bed? The only down side to that is those dust bunnies are are evil. Dielaughing

[Image: b1de10bb1aa8c470f3c86437eb63380d.jpg]

Laugh-a-lot
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Palerider for correcting my ideas. Oh-jeez

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Hose volume Willw 4 236 02-26-2024, 04:53 PM
Last Post: Willw
  [Equipment] ResMed S9 Elite CPAP – Climate hose problem drewb6111 2 232 01-28-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: drewb6111
  How often to replace mask, hose, etc. bigla6940 6 582 12-30-2023, 07:00 AM
Last Post: bigla6940
  Do I have to "clean" my heated CPAP hose? Labromaniac 13 1,289 12-28-2023, 04:23 PM
Last Post: Palmtrees
  Oxygen into CPAP hose when at high altitude Lfmichel 4 543 12-20-2023, 09:39 AM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  [Equipment] Airsense 11 Heated Hose MJLeveille 3 643 12-12-2023, 05:18 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  [CPAP] Top Hose vs. Bottom Hose Jose Castro 19 1,561 11-03-2023, 10:33 AM
Last Post: Jose Castro

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.