Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Painful Nose Bridge With FFM
Painful Nose Bridge With FFM
I have had the Resmed Mirrage Quattro Full Face Mask (going on a week now) and with the 'cushion' going around the mask feels padded, right above the nose bridge area it isn't as 'cushy' and I wake up with a very painful area on the bridge of my nose.  I have used a bandaid and mole skin (not at the same time) in attempt to provide some cushion to no avail.  Are all FFM less padded at the bride of the nose?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Painful Nose Bridge With FFM
The short answer is no.

It is a fit issue.  In my apnea journey I've discovered that everyone's face is different.  I do believe that you may be able to use the same mask as your identical twin, but even that is not a lock.  Don't have a twin, then you are in the same boat as the rest of us.

three things first.  Find the quattro mask fit video from the manufacture.  They usually have hints on fitting masks.
second, try lossening the straps a bit.  Over tightening masks IS a common problem, (thus the 1st recommendation)
third, the mask may be the wrong size for you, check the fit guides near the end of the Mask Primer.  (that reminds me, read the Mask Primer (see my signature))

Too masks which may or may not help,
The new ResMed AirTouch F20. The AirTouch has a memory foam cushion, the AirFit F20 has a more conventional seal.  They ARE different.
The Amara View.  This I consider to be more of a hybrid because there is no bridge piece, it seals to the bottom of the nose, NOT around it.

The general order I recommend for mask fittings/trials is from the least intrusive (nasal pillows) to the most intrusive (FFM).  I was a big time mouth breather,  My goto mask is currently the ResMed P10 pillow mask.  Always with masks they MUST be tried on, under pressure and preferred lying down.

Fred
Post Reply Post Reply
F&P Simplus.

Save your nose some pain and try one.
Post Reply Post Reply
When I fist started cpap, the bridge of my nose was so raw that it started bleeding. I kept changing masks until one worked. I do not know where you are getting your mask from but many places have a 30 day trial period. Masks are cheaper through the supplier list on this site. I used mole skin once and it stuck to my skin so good I thought it was going to rip my skin off, I started using medical tape after that. I am currently using  an airtouch F20(not airfit) with very good results.
Keep asking questions on this site.

Car54
Post Reply Post Reply
I am not so sure that the irritation is a fit issue. I have used the Mirage Quattro for a number of years and have never had a problem with severe irritation. The Mirage Quattro actually has the conventional seal from the time if its development.

There are several possible fixes for this problem. The first is to make sure that the top of the mask seal is tight up against your brow. I accomplish this by pushing the mask up from the bottom once I have it on and the pressure has inflated the seals. I found that if I wore it down the bridge of my nose a little, it made for some bad irritation.

Another potential fix would be a mask liner, which can be purchased from one of the online suppliers or a more permanent mask liner from Supplier #31 on the supplier list. Link to the supplier list at the top of the page. Another thing you could try along the same lines is to get some of those cotton rounds available the drug store. cut it in half and then separate the layers and use one layer on the bridge of your nose under the seal at the point where the irritation is occurring. There is also a plastic piece that goes in that same location which is available from the online suppliers. I do not remember what it is called.

Another fix that has been used is to use a pure lanolin salve like Lansinoh in that area to act as a barrier and help heal.. Lansinoh can be found in the baby department since it is used by nursing mothers.

One final potential fix. First, you need to have a set of backup cushions in case of an error in accomplishing this fix. The cushion for the Mirage Quattro is made up of a very thin and flexible silicone seal that goes all the way around the mask and seal against your face. Underneath this seal layer is a silicone stiffener that only goes around the cheek area of the mask up to just before the nose bridge seal. This stiffener is the one that we want to permanently adjust. Where the stiffener ends near the nasal bridge we want to remove about 1/8" of the stiffener following the original contour on each side. Care must be taken not to damage the seal layer. I will see if I can't dig up a picture somewhere to clarify.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
My DME gave me this and it worked very well;

http://www.resmed.com/us/en/consumer/pro...l-pad.html
Post Reply Post Reply
I had that problem when I first used my Resmed Airfit F20 FFM. Actually developed sores there after a week. I discovered that I had the top part strapped down too much, and when I let it out it held in the air just as well and the sores went away.

Never had that problem with the F&P Simplus, but had other problems with that, such as dents in my forehead from the headpiece. Also I had to strap 'er down quite tightly.

I like the F20 better by quite a lot, and I don't have to strap it down nearly as much, but everybody's face is different.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
I believe that the F20 did not give me a good seal when testing it.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Gecko is the plastic pad I was trying to remember the name of. I agree with Ed, You should not have to have the upper straps tight at all. In fact, I can get low leaks and a good seal with the Mirage Quattro when the upper straps are loose enough that I can put my finger under the silicone on the forehead stabilizer.

How long did you try out the F20? I found that the longer I tried it, the better it worked. I would try the F20 for a while and then go back to the Mirage Quattro. Then after a while I would go back to trying the F20. It finally got to the point where I was using the F20 more than the Mirage Quattro.

Whatever works best for you. The Mirage Quattro is a great mask but some people absolutely hate it.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-23-2017, 04:22 PM)Hojo Wrote: I believe that the F20 did not give me a good seal when testing it.

It took me awhile to get the seal figured out. And everybody's face is different.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Equipment] Any tips on how to get better airflow in under nose masks/hybrid full face masks? jake79 12 122 2 hours ago
Last Post: jake79
  [CPAP] Congested/painful itch reaction/face hotness upon use of CPAP Yeliad 6 160 04-15-2024, 10:44 PM
Last Post: Yeliad
  Dripping Nose Lesley19 3 111 04-10-2024, 01:50 AM
Last Post: Lesley19
  Horrible chemically burned bacon smell in nose after water reservoir runs dey icashootnstar 13 1,920 03-18-2024, 09:39 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Staph Infection in Nose: Phaleronic 5 294 03-13-2024, 02:15 AM
Last Post: Snackers
  AirFit F20 Irritating Nose Bridge SavvApnea 40 7,277 03-10-2024, 01:38 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  Can flow limitation stem from congested nose with nose mask? 40plus 11 715 01-29-2024, 10:22 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.