Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Painful/Troublesome Nasal Pillow Mask
Painful/Troublesome Nasal Pillow Mask
Hey Guys! I've been a member of this board for a few months but I've finally decided to post.

I was diagnosed with severe sleep apnea in July of this year and I've been using a nasal pillow mask since then (Swift FX for Her, specifically).

I have had non-stop trouble with it since the beginning. It hurts the inside of my nose, particularly on the right nostril. About a week ago, I even had a sore on the inside of my nose from it rubbing against it. It also always leaks out of my left nostril, which is extremely annoying. Also, I have to use Lansinoh cream on my nose because it irritates my skin so bad that it chafes and itches constantly if I do not.

I have literally tried everything - tightening and loosening the mask, tightening one side more than the other, laying only on my back, etc. I've tried to be patient with it for months hoping that I will adjust or find that "sweet spot" where it'll fit perfectly and behave normally. It's gotten to the point where I wake up in the middle of the night repeatedly because of it. If I'm really tired, I usually sleep through all of the annoyances. The CPAP therapy works for sure, but the mask is driving me crazy.

Am I doing something wrong or is this normal? Should I give up and switch to something else? Help!?? Sad

A Couple of Additional Facts:
-I'm a side sleeper and slightly claustrophobic which is why I chose this mask initially.
-When I was being fit for my mask, the technician said I was an in-between size (medium and small) and when we were testing it, I was having some leakage with the medium so she recommended the small.
-I have a deviated septum, which I'm suspecting is the cause of the difficulty.
-My pressure is 14
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Painful/Troublesome Nasal Pillow Mask
Hi copacetic,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
You could try either the Resmed Nano or the Respironics Wisp. Those two masks are a minimalist frame like the one you are using but they go around the nose instead of into the nostriles. Hopefully they won't make you too clostraphobic though.
Hang in there for more suggestions and good luck to you on this and keep us posted.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Look into a nasal pillow mask that has individual sized pillows vs one piece. The Breeze uses two. That way you could go up a size in one nose and down in the other. I use the same mask and have issues with it. My left nostril has a tender place but I only notice it when I first put the mask on. I can't seem to figure out what size I need. The one that seems to fit the best and not leak makes a lot of noise! It has a whistle to it that drives me nuts. I'm due for another mask and I'll see if it does it again. If it does, then I'll switch masks next time I'm due. Or buy it on my own online.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
There are many, many different types of masks because what works for one, may or may not work for another.

I am one of the people that simply can't get any kind of nasal-pillow type mask to work for me. From pain to leaks, to more pain and so on.

For the most part, I've found that for me, personally a smaller over-the-nose mask seems to work best, and I also have a full-face mask as a back-up for when my nose isn't working so well. While the nose mask is smaller, and easier to take on and off, I am actually less 'twitchy' with the FFM (Full face mask) on. It comes down to comfort, and what you can get used to. Many people need to try multiple masks before finding one that works well it seems.

FYI? Personally, I'd give up on a mask after 2-3 weeks if I can't get comfortable and leak-free with it. Yes, more than one night or try is needed, but by now, if it's not working for you, most likely it's time to try something else.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
Yep. Just because this nasal pillow isn't working out doesn't mean you can't try any other. They are all just a little different.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Bed Pillow Question SheShells23 5 155 03-25-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: SheShells23
  How can I rectify skin breakage from nasal mask? evenflow 2 97 03-20-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Nasal irrigation sleepingbetterinFl 8 315 03-11-2024, 10:50 AM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  How can I tell if my mouth is open with a nasal mask while I sleep? evenflow 15 1,075 03-08-2024, 09:55 PM
Last Post: stevew168
  Mask(s) to use after nasal surgery? Wonderlight 17 4,221 03-08-2024, 05:42 PM
Last Post: DoubtFire61
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,855 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Resmed P30i Nasal Pillow Fix cjtownsend1 1 261 02-25-2024, 10:02 PM
Last Post: robbob2112

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.