Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Palate still closing on exhale
RE: Palate still closing on exhale
Thanks for writing and hoping you would find a solution soon.
My experience is very similar to you, spanning the last two decades or so.
For me, air pressure did not work for palatal prolapse: several CPAPs and BiPAP over a wide range of pressures and pressure supports failed to solve it. Air pressure may still be required for the 'regular' sleep apnea, if you have it. Cervical collars exacerbated the issue.
I had tested probably 100 drugs and supplements including stimulants mentioned. Sedating drugs such as zopiclone which keeps me from awakening at 4am help somewhat.
Had not tried stent but it is the most promising solution type as it directly address the problem.
I am currently experiencing and will update on any news.
Post Reply Post Reply
Dadsocket, welcome to Apnea Board and thanks for input regarding your experience with palatal prolapse and the Alexo and Naso stents. Very helpful, and I wish you luck in finding a solution. Please keep us informed.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The only way I could possibly see cpap working for this is if you sleep on your side and turn epr off. Epr would be the enemy of this issue, in this case you want slow flow so the airway doesnt get pushed closed.

I often sleep on my side with head near edge of pillow so head is pointed slightly downward. That would probably help a fair bit with this issue.

Other than those ideas I just don't see CPAP working well as it appears you have already found.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi People,
I just joined after self diagnosing my palatal prolapse while on back only.
I am Very sorry to hear your problem- especially exacerbated with neck issues.
I too am looking around into everything from procedures thru strengthening s. palate with singing, playing didgeridoo and youtube chiropractor videos- which I just started doing.  I found a really cool, smart goofy CP that actually does them with you- Dr. Adam fields.
I also am a nose breather and it seems like it might be a good possibility to use a full face mask with a custom made night guard that keeps mouth open to breath. I would think cpap would keep mouth/throat moist (but not sure)
In the past I tried oral appliance it did not work and almost messed up my TMJ unfortunately, I am overkill and Really wanted it to work.
After more researching, I went to ENT to see if I was a good candidate for tonsilectomy/adenoidectomy. After 1100.00 nose scope I was informed I was not, but found out I have a small airway with a big tongue.
I have not experimented with mouth/lip thing yet and will be researching if there is such an animal or something to modify. Any inventors?!
I'm up for any suggestions so that we can kick this s.palate dilema's ass.
Thanks,
Don
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleepsearcher, welcome to Apnea Board. Do you have any graphs showing the Palatal prolapse? OSCAR is a very good tool to get zoomed screenshots to see what is happening.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome note.
I don't have any graphs but have the signature symptoms.
Besides being a light sleeper, I can lay on my back and when really relaxed will notice the valve like closing (on exhale)
How does this OSCAR thing work?
Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Any updates to the Expiratory Palatal Obstruction issue?

I too am a sufferer, and am looking at some of the theravent EPAP offshoots to try to treat it (Theravent when out of business). Something called Bongo Rx looks promising. Anything that supplies back pressure upon exhale and no pressure on inhale should be helpful.

Please keep this thread updated if possible so others can find help. Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,

I finally realized cpap does not work for p.p. 

I am now going to pursue Endonasal Cranial Adjusting and see where that gets me.

Strengthening the soft palate should help so I started doing exercises again.  I am still a new user on this forum so it won't let me post a link. Do a search on youtube for v2 exercises -

Adam fields should pop up.                                                                              

He has an office in Northern Ca that I will be checking out in April.

It also occurred to me that a simple dental device could be made to permit the exhalation thru the mouth- kinda like a big straw.  I talked with my dentist but he did not seem interested.

I have no problem breathing out thru (mouth) while lying in any position.  You could try learning to be a mouth breather?

I am fortunate to be able to exhale (thru nose) lying on stomach and sides, just restricted on back.

Adam fields also points out near end of video that playing a didgeridoo will help to strengthen soft palate.

Maybe somebody will patent something soon also.

Let me know how your journey goes.     

Good Luck,

Don
Post Reply Post Reply
What was your outcomes with this struggle?
Post Reply Post Reply
I was suffering from Palatal Prolapse that started in the summer. No adjustments to PAP therapy would work. I’m well adjusted to CPAP since 2010, and moved to APAP and now BiLevel recently (ResMed VAuto).

I didn’t want surgery, so I finally got a 6” AlaxoStent. I use it _and_ my VAuto combined.
Palatal Prolapse is now vanquished!

I’ve updated my SleepyCPAP Therapy thread.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Unable to exhale against nasal pillow pressure? jle323 10 4,857 03-04-2024, 11:40 AM
Last Post: Guerc13
  Looking to buy Alaxo 6 inch stent (soft palate stent) tmoneyman35 4 759 01-24-2024, 05:32 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  [Symptoms] Palate prolapse breathing pattern ? zaienk 22 1,686 01-18-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Resmed vibrates on exhale? webweaver 5 827 12-22-2023, 08:22 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Oscar Data Immediate Wake Ups - Tongue / Palate? ancheero 6 651 12-21-2023, 07:05 PM
Last Post: ancheero
  Does this indicate palate prolapse? ekirtz 2 365 12-20-2023, 02:41 PM
Last Post: zaienk
  What is your Mallampati Score? Are your tongue and palate causing your apnea? selfhelpdevice 0 309 12-10-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: selfhelpdevice

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.