Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Palpitation when waking up at midnight
Palpitation when waking up at midnight
Hi I am writing on behalf of my father. He is 61 years old. He has untreated snoring problem for over 30 years. He usually snores very loud.

Recently, he wakes up around midnight (after sleeping 3-4 hours) with a feeling of heart palpitation which goes away in about 10 minutes time. This does not usually happens when he takes a 1-2 hours nap in the afternoon or any time in the day.

The doctors first checked his ECG, Echocardiogram, Stress Test. Everything came out normal and they came up with the idea that it is anxiety.

Recently, a respiratory doctor said that he is probably having sleep apnea as he usually wakes up frequently for urination and often gets dry mouth and soar throat after loud snoring. He will take a polysomnography test soon.

As this is new to me I have some questions and I will be thankful if I get answers from the nice people here.

1. Can palpitation/feeling of heart pounding is one of the symptoms of apnea?

2. Will BiPAP be better than CPAP for over 60 people?

3. Can you give some advice what to do regarding the problem?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Palpitation when waking up at midnight
(12-30-2016, 05:45 PM)sjishan Wrote: 1. Can palpitation/feeling of heart pounding is one of the symptoms of apnea?
The heart doesn't like it when it doesn't get oxygen.

(12-30-2016, 05:45 PM)sjishan Wrote: 2. Will BiPAP be better than CPAP for over 60 people?
This will depend on what the polysomnogram shows.

(12-30-2016, 05:45 PM)sjishan Wrote: 3. Can you give some advice what to do regarding the problem?
If he can position himself to sleep on his side and not his back, that will help slightly.
If he drinks any alcohol, stop for now, until the doc says it is OK to resume.
Check any and all of his medications; some of them could be contributing.
Avoid big meals within 3 hours of bedtime. Reflux could be waking him.
Keep consistent bed time and waking times.
If overweight, aim to eat healthy - a dietitian consult can be helpful.
- Losing weight can, for some, take a near fanatical obsession with eating - what, when, where, how much, how often. His mileage may vary; if he can, great.

If it is determined that he has sleep apnea, he will be prescribed a CPAP. He should get one which is "data capable", ie, capable of recording details about what is happening in terms of different apnea types, snores, mask leaks, pressure used, etc.
This link identifies some of the better candidates:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-machine

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Good questions. The symptoms you list are tied pretty closely to obstructive sleep apnea:
snoring,
awakening
nocturia (night time urination)
tachycardia
fatigue, sleepyness etc.

A sleep test is the next step. A CPAP is a prescription device and he needs to be diagnosed with sleep apnea using a clinical or home test. Once confirmed auto CPAP can be prescribed with instructions on self-titration, or a CPAP with clinical titration study. BiPAP is not indicated unless pressure are very high or he doesn't tolerate CPAP. Modern auto CPAP like the Resmed Airsense 10 Autoset offers exhale pressure relief similar to a bilevel, so that is a great choice. since he is 60, he is probably insured through employer or self-insured. Your course of action kind of depends on how good insurance is and deductibles. It is possible to save a lot of money if necessary, or using good insurance it should be no problem.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The heart palpitations were the primary reason for my sleep study and apnea. EKG, ECG, and stress test came back normal too. No sleepy problems however I am feeling much better since therapy.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you everyone.

(12-30-2016, 07:14 PM)Rcgop Wrote: The heart palpitations were the primary reason for my sleep study and apnea. EKG, ECG, and stress test came back normal too. No sleepy problems however I am feeling much better since therapy.

Glad to know that you are doing better now. May I know what was your AHI and Oxygen Saturation Level when you were diagnosed?
Post Reply Post Reply
sjishan:

Your father should be put on a 24 hour cardiac monitor (called a Holter Monitor) to catch possible arrhythmia. A condition called a-fib is sometimes found in people who have sleep apnea. If a-fib is found, a cardiologist may try to treat it with medication (such as a beta blocker). When a-fib is frequent, then blood thinners may be prescribed to prevent blood clots.

Arrhythmia may be induced by apnea as the adrenal glands on the superior poles of the kidneys will push epinephrine and norepinephrine to kick start the body. Treating the apnea may treat the arrhythmia.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2016, 07:41 PM)justMongo Wrote: sjishan:

Your father should be put on a 24 hour cardiac monitor (called a Holter Monitor) to catch possible arrhythmia. A condition called a-fib is sometimes found in people who have sleep apnea. If a-fib is found, a cardiologist may try to treat it with medication (such as a beta blocker). When a-fib is frequent, then blood thinners may be prescribed to prevent blood clots.

Arrhythmia may be induced by apnea as the adrenal glands on the superior poles of the kidneys will push epinephrine and norepinephrine to kick start the body. Treating the apnea may treat the arrhythmia.

No AFib was found in the Holter Monitor Test.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, sleep apnea can cause palpitations. I have had sleep apnea for about 10 years and my only symptom was tiredness. I didn't use cpap because the apnea was mild . The last couple of years I started with the palpitations. I was sent to cardiologist and had all kinds of test and all were clear. My sleep doctor gave me a sleep study and my apnea had gotten a lot worse so I tried Bipap and it worked on my palpitations. I don't have them anymore.
Good luck and I hope your dad has a sleep study.

Sleepyv
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi sjishan,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I wish your father good luck as he works through finding out about his health problems.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Glad to know that you are doing better now. May I know what was your AHI and Oxygen Saturation Level when you were diagnosed?

7 on both. Mild apnea but very scary on the palpitations. Both have improved but still not where I think I might get to. May have had SA for many years prior to palpitations but not aware.

OBTW 24 hr Holter monitor did nit show any problems either.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] 10 Months In and Still Waking Up After 4 to 5 Hours Burnsy 3 238 03-14-2024, 11:37 AM
Last Post: Burnsy
  [CPAP] Persistant night waking - Oscar results help please philjones 0 116 03-07-2024, 05:39 PM
Last Post: philjones
Sad [Symptoms] Traumatic life event. Now I'm waking up every night suffocating. BostonEngineer 9 359 03-03-2024, 12:44 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Waking up often Omenislost 3 242 03-01-2024, 10:51 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Anxiety dreams all night and waking up anxious Clementine39 1 171 02-23-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
Gross [Treatment] Waking up frequently and not feeling rested snoor 3 282 02-21-2024, 11:27 AM
Last Post: snoor
  N20 mask: waking up unable to breathe acordeon 1 255 02-05-2024, 07:54 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.