Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Papa G.'s Therapy Thread
Papa G.'s Therapy Thread
Requesting some help optimizing my Papa's therapy.

He is 74 years old, heart troubles, kidney troubles, diabetes.  He's tired and naps on a regular basis but I think that's age and medical issues on top of apnea.
He's been on cpap for at least 15 years. His current machine is a Resmed S9 Elite. Set at a fixed 10cmw. I don't know the capabilities of that machine.
I put the SD card in his machine yesterday so we only have one night of data but I think there is room for improvement.

The first thing I noticed was mask leaks... he said he struggled a bit last night with that and made some adjustments. He likes his mask (Dreamwear, med headset, small nose piece).

AHI and flow limit too high.  
Suggestions?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Papa G.'s Therapy Thread
See how the hypopneas are grouped together? That is a signature for bad cervical alignment. That is the first thing that needs correction. Basically he tucking his chin toward his chest resulting in a form of positional apnea no amount of pressure can overcome.
.see if he is positioning his head on a similar position to that for rescue breathing. It may be as simple as using 1 pillow instead of 2. Use your nurses training. If that doesn't work there is a soft cervical collar, please read the wiki in my signature either way.
Post Reply Post Reply
@Gideon
Thank you! 
I thought that might be the case but I'm still a newbie so definitely needed expert opinion. 
He only uses one thin pillow and he definitely chin tucks.
I'll talk with him, I might be able to get him to agree to use a rolled blanket/pillow up by his neck to prevent some chin tuck but he won't agree to a c-collar.

Since he has never adjusted his settings from his only sleep study years ago I was actually happy to see his numbers weren't worse.
Post Reply Post Reply
Brazen,
When I first started out, I used a travel neck pillow (toddler size) turned around with opening in back. This allowed me to support my chin. It was small, soft and worked wonders. If anything, it made me aware of my chin tucking.

On another note... would your dad be open to using the EPR setting? Maybe start with EPR 1. He shouldn't notice that too much. It may help with the flow limitation.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
@OpalRose
Thank you! Yes, I think I'll have him try a travel pillow and I'll set the EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  WW4B Therapy thread WW4B 49 4,057 10 hours ago
Last Post: WW4B
  Therapy Help - Possible UARS - REM jkossis 8 149 Yesterday, 02:09 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Therapy help rekaviv 9 247 Yesterday, 11:22 AM
Last Post: rekaviv
  IanD - Therapy Thread IanD 28 2,257 03-26-2024, 08:18 PM
Last Post: IanD
  MrIvanDrago - CPAP|Bi-PAP Therapy Journey MrIvanDrago 67 3,330 03-26-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Marcin's Therapy Thread marcinpiskala 20 950 03-23-2024, 04:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
Information Alaxo Hybrid Stent with CPAP - Therapy Thread G. Szabo 29 1,193 03-22-2024, 10:51 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.