Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

events/hour and mask leakage
Question 
events/hour and mask leakage
How does my Airsense10 measure an event for the event/hour score.
What constitutes an event?

Sometimes when I am changing positions, I notice I grit my teeth and hold my breath for several seconds during the change, repositioning covers and my leg pillow. Is something like that recorded as a stop/breathing event?

How much time between breathes registers as an event.

How many events must one have to get less than the maximum of the 5 point score?

How does my machine measure mask leakage. It seems that no matter how I adjust my straps, my scores stay in the mid range area. I have had as high as an 18 and as low as a 2. I still wake up well rested and love my machine. I just don't understand the details I am asking about.

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: events/hour and mask leakage
(04-30-2015, 10:41 AM)Johhny72 Wrote: How does my Airsense10 measure an event for the event/hour score.
What constitutes an event?

Sometimes when I am changing positions, I notice I grit my teeth and hold my breath for several seconds during the change, repositioning covers and my leg pillow. Is something like that recorded as a stop/breathing event?

How much time between breathes registers as an event.

How many events must one have to get less than the maximum of the 5 point score?

How does my machine measure mask leakage. It seems that no matter how I adjust my straps, my scores stay in the mid range area. I have had as high as an 18 and as low as a 2. I still wake up well rested and love my machine. I just don't understand the details I am asking about.

An apnea is a cessation of breathing for 10 seconds minimum. A hypopnea is a 50% reduction in breathing for 10 seconds minimum.

AHI is the total number of apnea and hypopnea events divided by the time slept so it is basically a time based cumulative average. 5 x hours slept=maximum total events to achieve AHI of 5 or less.

Using a nasal mask it is possible that you are getting mouth leakage while asleep. If 18 is your max, that is not a problem. All masks are subject to some inadvertant leakage. Resmed uses a rather complex method to make a good estimate of unintentional leakage. As long as the unintentional leakage is under 25.0 liters/minute, the machine can deal with it and maintain reasonable accuracy according to Resmed.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Johhny72,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
Payton nailed it. Whenever I have to reach for something, etc and I know I'm going to hold my breath, I try to keep it to 10 seconds or less to not trigger a false event.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Recently started CPAP -- very high proportion of Clear Airway Events matt2 0 65 03-17-2024, 02:48 PM
Last Post: matt2
  [CPAP] Can pressure wanting to go higher actually be due to leakage? richapple 1 71 03-15-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  Central events while falling asleep michaelyu15 6 165 03-15-2024, 07:59 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 145 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Trying to Reduce CA Events chrotteg 9 223 03-12-2024, 05:29 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Why does my clear airway events keep increasing? deirdrepen 3 227 03-12-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  Help interpreting non-obstructive events in OSCAR needsleeps 14 725 03-05-2024, 12:28 PM
Last Post: needsleeps

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.