Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Paradise Lost
Smile 
Paradise Lost
I’m looking for advice.  I started using my CPAP a couple of years ago and after about 3 weeks I was able to figure it out.  I was able to tolerate it very well for about 10 months - slept comfortably and kept in on all night.  Then over the period of about 2 weeks I was no longer able to keep the mask on as my nose got too stuffy.  Now I usually have to take it off after about 30 minutes.  A couple of minutes after taking it off my nose clears back up and I breath fine.  Nothing changed as far as I  know.  Washing mask and hose  did not help.  Washing the humidifier did not help.  Filter change did not help.  Replacing the mask and hose with new did not help.  I  only use distilled water in my humidifier.    I expect this is a long shot, but any ideas would be most appreciated.  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Paradise Lost
Try reducing or turning off the humidifier completely. For some people like me the humidifier causes a stuffy nose. For others it works the other way. It's worth a shot.

Maybe an over the counter nasal spray also.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks!  I had never considered shutting down the humidifier.  I will try that.   I may also try some saline spray as well.  Many years ago I actually got addicted to the hard stuff and took me a while to break the habit.  ?
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree about the humidity. Too much, and I get stuffy too.

Perhaps a new mask could help? I love the P10 because it powers right through any stuffiness, and opens up my nostrils within about 5-15 minutes.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you Hydrangea.  I’m not familiar with the P10 mask.  Who makes it?  Is it a nasal mask?  Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
resmed airfit p10 nasal pillows.
Post Reply Post Reply
Perfect, thanks Sheepless!
Post Reply Post Reply
I have had much the same problem ever since starting on CPAP. 

Originally I had to take the mask off to even breathe at all, then after 5 minutes of no CPAP my nose would be clear again and I'd be breathing fine. 

Because I have to use CPAP to maintain my commercial/professional driving licence I had to find a solution, and tried all the sprays/flushes/antihistamines without success.

I played around with increased and decreased humidity settings, and have now gone to totally no humidity at all.. not even just water in the tank with no heat.. the improvement in my nasal passage blockages was quite noticeable, but still occurring often enough to be a nuisance.  

So then I tried increasing my pressure from 7 to 8, it helped with both the nose blockages and the feeling I sometimes had of starving for air when I first put my mask on at night. 

I use the F&P Eson nose mask, and now run zero humidity and the increased pressure as my standard setting ( no ramp time, just straight to 8 with it, starting at a low pressure would only lead to the nose blocking initially then taking time to clear before I could comfortably fall asleep I feel ) .. I have set the heated hose to maximum over winter to take the chill off the air the machine pumps through to me, but with warmer weather coming I will cut the hose temperature back progressively until it is off over the hottest summer months here in Australia.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ockrocket-

Thank you very much for the help!  I’m starting to take courage now.  I was about ready to turn in my equipment, but I’m going to recalibrate and try again.  I’m glad you are better able to tolerate the CPAP now.  Smile

Mark
Post Reply Post Reply
Hey Mark, have you ever tried a steroid nasal spray?

I had exactly the same problems you've described, back in the day.  I was seeing a really first-rate ENT at the time and he examined me carefully with an endoscope, then asked, "How do you feel today?  Breathing pretty well?"

"Oh yeah", I responded, "I feel good.  Pretty clear."

He told me that I had been so congested for so long, I only thought I was breathing well.  He said that he saw plenty of congestion with the endoscope.  He gave me a sample of Flonase, but I said, "Oh, my GP gave me that stuff years ago, doesn't do anything for me."

He explained to me very patiently (super nice guy...Canadian) that steroid sprays didn't immediately relieve congestion like antihistamine sprays, you have to stick with them daily in order to reduce inflammation and reduce congestion.

Long story short, he was right.  I've used one brand or another of nasal steroid for about 13 years now.  Not year round, but whenever I'm not breathing as clearly as I should.  It's usually a seasonal thing for me.  Your mileage may vary!

Carl 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [CPAP] New to cpap, lost and confused Sophia 4 155 04-08-2024, 08:21 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [Treatment] Lost weight, no doc, can't get my settings right... japesinjapan 10 451 04-04-2024, 03:18 AM
Last Post: bushinc
  Lost Red Pressure Graph Line ejbpesca 5 399 11-09-2023, 10:01 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Lost Trust in CheckmeMax O2 Watch cmpman1974 1 342 10-05-2023, 01:30 AM
Last Post: Old Mike
Question Newbie and using OSCAR - SUPER LOST and looking for advice DaveHirschler 26 2,146 08-01-2023, 08:13 PM
Last Post: DaveHirschler
  At a lost Sabee 6 721 03-23-2023, 08:15 AM
Last Post: Sabee
Gross [CPAP] Lost and Confused. Mycpapaccount 1 550 03-16-2023, 05:40 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.