Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Parents, relatives, friends, etc.. who treat others like aliens for using CPAP
RE: Parents, relatives, friends, etc.. who treat others like aliens for using CPAP
Ever hear your parents snoring at night? If so, maybe their curiosity is because one or both of them also could use the therapy. Many people are genuinely interested, but have a funny way of asking. Often a person that might consider the therapy valuable will approach the subject sarcastically because they don't want to be perceived as weak or in need of a medical device. This may or may not be the case, but I'd be surprised if both parents of someone that needs CPAP are not themselves affected. Don't be defensive, sell it so they get the help they need.

Denial is the first step. Making fun or sarcastic comments towards someone else that uses cpap is the second. The third is to actually recognize that it might help and try to learn more. Acting on the problem can take a long time to come around.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Parents, relatives, friends, etc.. who treat others like aliens for using CPAP
The family dynamics sound complicated! I’m curious: have you ever sat your parents down to tell them the symptoms you were experiencing, the damage to your health you would risk if you left your apnea untreated, and what it’s been like for you as you got used to the machine? Have they seen you using the machine and your mask?

Maybe you just don’t want to get into it all with them. I would completely understand that; it was my general way of dealing with my own parents. But if you felt you could, it might help them calm down about this and treat it more like your getting eyeglasses to treat far-sightedness than some exotic topic for chatter with other people.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-15-2019, 04:53 PM)Sleeprider Wrote: Ever hear your parents snoring at night? If so, maybe their curiosity is because one or both of them also could use the therapy. Many people are genuinely interested, but have a funny way of asking.  Often a person that might consider the therapy valuable will approach the subject sarcastically because they don't want to be perceived as weak or in need of a medical device.  This may or may not be the case, but I'd be surprised if both parents of someone that needs CPAP are not themselves affected.  Don't be defensive, sell it so they get the help they need.  

Denial is the first step. Making fun or sarcastic comments towards someone else that uses cpap is the second.  The third is to actually recognize that it might help and try to learn more.  Acting on the problem can take a long time to come around.

My first reaction was very much defensive when I heard that, but Sleepriders comment holds truth in it. They just might need it themselves. No harm talking to them about it.
Post Reply Post Reply
two topics near and dear to older people are their children and what ails themselves and everybody else. if there's a mean spiritedness about it, it'd be up to you to set them straight (whether they respond the way you want is another question) or avoid the subject. if it's mean spirited, there are probably other issues more important than cpap that you hear / argue about if it's not mean but simply tactless, it'd still be up to you to set them straight (diplomatically, with a polite but firm description of your boundaries). there's no shame in cpap or any other health care. in fact, getting treatment is a very positive thing so while the parents' lack of understanding is disappointing, it's up to you to let it bother you or not.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to be blunt with my mother and tell her not to share my medical issues with anybody without my permission. I told her that if she did it again, I would no longer keep her informed. Since then, she asks me - it's pretty hard for the neighbors to ignore that I'm using a walker, so had no problem with her sharing my trials and tribulations resulting from my fall. But she asked first.
Post Reply Post Reply
I had to be blunt with my mother and tell her not to share my medical issues with anybody without my permission. I told her that if she did it again, I would no longer keep her informed. Since then, she asks me - it's pretty hard for the neighbors to ignore that I'm using a walker, so had no problem with her sharing my trials and tribulations resulting from my fall. But she asked first.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Sad [Treatment] Struggling to treat UARS with BIPAP Humancyclone7 0 65 Yesterday, 12:05 PM
Last Post: Humancyclone7
  How can I treat primarily "Clear Airway" events? mcrick 13 987 02-04-2024, 02:40 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  [Treatment] Can nasal airway stent help UARS but not completely treat it? airwaystent 9 974 12-19-2023, 06:11 AM
Last Post: airwaystent
  Same number of events with or without the mouth guard I got to treat sleep apnea? hejohoo 0 384 08-27-2023, 10:12 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  [Pressure] Need some help setting up my machine to treat me optimally please! Novah 23 1,674 06-10-2023, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Kingsway
  Hyoid suspension to treat sleep apnea chandlertj53 1 599 03-16-2022, 11:01 PM
Last Post: 2SleepBetta
  Does CPAP also treat central sleep apnea (csa)? LetMezz 17 2,256 03-06-2022, 05:06 PM
Last Post: Geer1

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.