Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Partial Success, Finally, need advice
RE: Partial Success, Finally, need advice
(09-26-2012, 01:07 AM)zzzzk Wrote:
(09-26-2012, 12:37 AM)zonk Wrote: I would turn EPR off and lower the minimum pressure but keep in mind what works for one person may be bad for another
Its matter of trial and error to find the sweet spot

Hello,

I already turned off epr and it helped me a LOT! However, I can't get below the 6.3 barrier for AHI. Is that still too high? I read people complaining about level 2 so that confuses me.

I look at the graph in sleepyhead when the pressure ramps up, but it doesn't stop the OA's usually. I did notice my periodic breathing went down with higher pressure. I raised the minimum because it seemed it did not ramp up in time to help. My problem seems to be I need to use saline nasal sprays to open my sinuses, but that is so variable. Any ideas, appreciated...
Is it typical night for you going to bed in the early hours of morning?
You,re having few wake ups and not going back to sleep straight away
The last couple hours pressure stayed at 14 hardly any increase
For me would lower the minimum pressure maybe 10 also stay off sleeping on my back, sleep on my side and see if makes any difference to maxing the pressure. The machine cannot tell if you,re asleep, just flag events even if you,re awake and in sleep lab would be discarded
Its not problem using saline sprays, most folks use something and most days I use Neilmed sinus rinse.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yeah, lower that bottom number. They're way too close together. The data may be skewed by this.

You want the AHI to be less than 5 BUT you also want to go by how you feel. If you feel rested, don't nod off during your waking hours, then perhaps you are doing fine.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
How's this for a weird one...

According to Sleepyhead, my AHI for last night was 6.56
According to EncorePro2, my AHI for last night was 3.6!

I left my low pressure at 14 and my high at 16. I turned OFF my humidifier. NO a-flex, NO c-flex. I tried a nasal spray called seagate Olive leaf.

When I look at the graph in Sleepyhead, it seems they are counting more events when I was awake. My obstructions still wake me up. Why such a great difference between Sleepyhead and Encore?!! Is Encore more accurate?

More Specific:

Sleepyhead:
AHIApnea / Hypopnea Index 6.56
HypopneaHypopnea 0.68
ObstructiveObstructive Apnea 3.69
Clear AirwayClear Airway Apnea 2.19
RERAResp. Effort Related Arousal 2.59
Flow LimitFlow Limitation 0.00
VSnoreVibratory Snore 0.00
PB/CSRPeriodic Breathing 2.08%

Event Breakdown

Statistics
Channel Min Med 95% Max
PressurePressure (cmH20)
W-Avg: 14.33 14.00 14.50 16.20 17.00
Minute Vent.Minute Ventilation (L/min)
W-Avg: 9.11 0.12 8.25 18.75 33.13
Resp. RateRespiratory Rate (breaths/min)
W-Avg: 15.61 7.56 15.40 19.20 23.00
Total LeaksTotal Leak Rate (L/min)
W-Avg: 42.36 40.00 42.00 46.00 48.00
SnoreSnore (unknown)
W-Avg: 0.16 0.00 0.00 1.00 2.00
Insp TimeInspiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 2.13 0.20 2.00 3.00 5.78
Exp TimeExpiratory Time (seconds)
W-Avg: 1.74 0.20 1.72 2.26 2.52
Tidal VolumeTidal Volume (ml)
W-Avg: 578.04 13.33 540.00 1140.00 2060.00

EncorePro2:
Average 90% Pressure
Average CPAP Pressure
Pressure (cmH2O)
Percent of Night in Periodic Breathing (PB)
Average % of Night in
Periodic Breathing
2.3%
Clear Airway Apnea Index (CA)
Average CA Index
Obstructed Airway Apnea Index (OA)
Average OA Index
Average Hypopnea
Index
Hypopnea And RERA Indices
Average RERA Index
Average AHI
Flow Limitation And Vibratory Snore Indices
Average VS Index
Average FL Index
Percent of Night in Large Leak (LL) Average % Night in
Large Leak
0.0%
Average Large Leak
0 secs.

A comment: I LOVE sleepyhead because it allows MUCH more analysis of the data, but maybe encore doesn't count waking events as much?!!

Finally, I seem to only be able to sleep between 4-5 hours a night with the APAP. Is that normal or ok? Thank you.

Post Reply Post Reply
If you have events while awake, they're not really events and you'd have to remove them from the count.

It is possible that the Encore software recognizes when you are awake (magic?) and takes those events out for you.

Did you sleep longer prior to using the machine?
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2012, 01:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you have events while awake, they're not really events and you'd have to remove them from the count.

It is possible that the Encore software recognizes when you are awake (magic?) and takes those events out for you.

Did you sleep longer prior to using the machine?

Yes, I slept longer before using the machine, I would sleep between 7-9 hours. However, the longer I slept, the worse I felt! I think it's because I was choking so much. How much actual sleep time does the average successful cpap user get? I wake up at least 5 times a night even with lower AHI. WOW, after 8 years maybe I'm actually going to get some relief?!!
Post Reply Post Reply
Each of us have different sleep patterns. And then there's the seasons and the amount of sunlight we get. And the stress levels (or lack of them). And and and

The main thing to ask yourself is: Do I feel like I am getting enough sleep. If you are, then cool beans. If not, then you need to look at what you are doing (eating, thinking, working, etc) and determine if a change is needed.

Consider keeping a sleep journal. Note when you went to bed, when you think you fell asleep, when you woke up the final times, how many times you woke up between, how you feel, what you ate and drank, what you think or perceive your stress level for that day to be, and so forth. Include in it what the CPAP data was as well. If you make any changes, not those.

This will help you to perhaps see a trend you do not otherwise see.
PaulaO

Post Reply Post Reply
5 is the aim, but I have read of more and more people who do not reach that magic #. On my ASV my 7 day average was 4.9 and my 30 day average was 11.9. Go figure. How do you feel?
Good luck.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-29-2012, 09:21 AM)zimlich Wrote: 5 is the aim, but I have read of more and more people who do not reach that magic #. On my ASV my 7 day average was 4.9 and my 30 day average was 11.9. Go figure. How do you feel?
Good luck.

I think I am a testimony that everyone is different and that everyone must take responsibility for their own heath and not just blindly follow their doctors. Some are good, some are not. My AHI is now down to 2.9! It has been between 15 and 25 for months, so I know this is not a fluke. For me, a-flex and c-flex made me worse (found out this on this forum). I turned it off. I noticed that my "auto" machine was not fast enough to stop my OA's. it was at 4-20, I slowly bumped it up to 15-18. (I found this out on a forum). However, mine is higher than most. My apnea is severe. I also have to sleep on a wedge.

However, be careful, we are NOT doctors, but we have a huge resource in the internet of information that was not available in the past.

Thank you to everyone for their help! :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2012, 01:00 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: If you have events while awake, they're not really events and you'd have to remove them from the count.

No, Encore only reports what the machine says. It has no wakefullness detector.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-26-2012, 12:41 PM)zzzzk Wrote: How's this for a weird one...

According to Sleepyhead, my AHI for last night was 6.56
According to EncorePro2, my AHI for last night was 3.6!

I left my low pressure at 14 and my high at 16. I turned OFF my humidifier. NO a-flex, NO c-flex. I tried a nasal spray called seagate Olive leaf.

When I look at the graph in Sleepyhead, it seems they are counting more events when I was awake. My obstructions still wake me up. Why such a great difference between Sleepyhead and Encore?!! Is Encore more accurate?

Look at the data for both programs. Does SH count the same number of events for OA, CA, and hypopneas? If SH shows an event and EP doesn't, try to figure out which is right.

Also, check to see that both programs show the same number of hours of sleep covering the same time period.

Get the free OSCAR CPAP software here.
Useful links.
Click here for information on the main alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check it yourself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New to CPAP, looking for guidance and advice iamJB 16 296 6 hours ago
Last Post: Expat31
  New- CA CA-Tired help with settings advice jenjabba 8 172 Yesterday, 01:03 PM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  New Here, Been using OSCAR, Need Advice Regarding Adjustments FrankReality 26 868 03-26-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: FrankReality
  [Pressure] Advice on pressure adjustments akarifur 43 1,801 03-25-2024, 08:58 PM
Last Post: Uzupan
  Help - 1 year CPAP - not success - help very welcome! leono85 41 2,623 03-25-2024, 09:32 AM
Last Post: Macka
  Finally had a PSG instead of a PG and the result shocked me mugen4u 47 3,034 03-25-2024, 08:00 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
Arrow Your Personal CPAP Success Story - Post Here SuperSleeper 1,364 625,983 03-24-2024, 07:19 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.