Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Perception of Pressure: at night vs in the morning
Perception of Pressure: at night vs in the morning
Hello:

I've had my machine almost 3 weeks now. Put it on and generally fall asleep promptly, even without using ramp any longer. Very comfortable.

I notice though, that when I wake up in the AM the pressure does not feel as intense when I wake up as when I fell asleep. Is this simply a mental adjustment, being used to it? Or does the machine automatically vary its pressure levels?

It is set to 10. I can't tell if its in my head, the machine, or some complication with me blocking the hose by my sleep position.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Perception of Pressuat night vs in the morning
(04-10-2012, 03:52 PM)hippipdip Wrote: Hello:

I've had my machine almost 3 weeks now. Put it on and generally fall asleep promptly, even without using ramp any longer. Very comfortable.

I notice though, that when I wake up in the AM the pressure does not feel as intense when I wake up as when I fell asleep. Is this simply a mental adjustment, being used to it? Or does the machine automatically vary its pressure levels?

It is set to 10. I can't tell if its in my head, the machine, or some complication with me blocking the hose by my sleep position.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

it feels different in the morning because you are getting used to it. the pressure itself is actually pretty low. it is measured as cm/h20. for instance 10 is the amount of pressure it takes to raise a column of water 10 cm. so as you can see the difference between the top and bottom of the scale is not that great. i think in terms of PSI it would all be in the 2 range someplace.
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Perception of Pressure: at night vs in the morning
Yep, your body has gotten used to it during the night.

Congrats, that means you're using it like you should!

Often in the morning, I have to put my hand in front of the mask to prove it is on.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 12:01 AM)PaulaO2 Wrote: Yep, your body has gotten used to it during the night.

Congrats, that means you're using it like you should!

Often in the morning, I have to put my hand in front of the mask to prove it is on.

How many times have you laid there awake thinking is it on or not, it becomes like a game. Big Grin

Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 03:52 PM)hippipdip Wrote: Hello:

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks.

I've noticed the exact same thing and still notice it after 6 months of therapy. I'm guessing that when you first turn the pressure on, it's pumping air into your system and after a certain amount of time, it normalizes itself.
We're all family here...you can call me B36 if you'd like!Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 03:52 PM)hippipdip Wrote: I notice though, that when I wake up in the AM the pressure does not feel as intense when I wake up as when I fell asleep. Is this simply a mental adjustment, being used to it? Or does the machine automatically vary its pressure levels?

Auto adjustment depends on your machine, but like others have said you've probably adjusted to the airflow by the AM, this is why the ramp function works, you adjust over time. Another thing may be that toward morning you're not in such a deep sleep and the machine has lighten up on the pressure if it is auto adjusting.

Post Reply Post Reply
his details and post both mention pressure of 10 so i ass-u-me that he is dealing with constant pressure (cpap) and not automatic pressure (apap). in that case, the machine would not be auto adjusting itself. i could be wrong. i was wrong once and paula has it marked on her calendar LOL.....
First Diagnosed July 1990

MSgt (E-7) USAF (Medic)
Retired 1968-1990
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-11-2012, 08:12 AM)greatunclebill Wrote: i could be wrong. i was wrong once and paula has it marked on her calendar LOL.....
I thought I was wrong once, but I found out later I was mistaken. Smile
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 03:52 PM)hippipdip Wrote: I can't tell if its in my head, the machine, or some complication with me blocking the hose by my sleep position.

As you can seen from the other replies, it is all in your head. You're getting acclimated to the CPAP therapy.

This is normal, as is wondering if the machine is still on. I wear a nasal mask (pillows, actually) so all I have to do is open my mouth, lower the back of my tongue, and feel the air hissing out to confirm that the machine really is still on.

Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-10-2012, 04:17 PM)greatunclebill Wrote: the pressure itself is actually pretty low. it is measured as cm/h20. for instance 10 is the amount of pressure it takes to raise a column of water 10 cm. so as you can see the difference between the top and bottom of the scale is not that great. i think in terms of PSI it would all be in the 2 range someplace.

Let's see, what's the easiest way to do this calculation? Scuba divers learn that a depth of 10.3 meters (34 ft) is what it takes to increase the pressure by one atmosphere, which is about 15 psi.

So, let's see, 10 cm is about one hundred times smaller than 10.3 meters. If we make 15 psi one hundred times smaller we get 0.15 psi. That's not anywhere near enough to unflatten a flat tire, in fact, it wouldn't even blow up a balloon, would it?

But it's enough to keep our airways open while we sleep. Great Uncle, it's a miracle! I can't imagine how horrible my life would be without it.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  First Day with S9 AutoSet - Many Clear Airway in the morning liuzilong 6 121 03-18-2024, 09:25 PM
Last Post: liuzilong
  ENT / Morning Sleep r4robin 4 202 03-07-2024, 06:12 PM
Last Post: r4robin
  Events worse in the morning and events in general getting worse Elizabeth79 45 1,986 02-14-2024, 07:48 PM
Last Post: Elizabeth79
  Early Morning change in AHI CasitaWayne 20 6,966 01-19-2024, 06:36 PM
Last Post: jstro84
  Isn't Resmed's Expiratory Pressure Relief really Inspiratory Pressure Support?? Reznik 122 18,639 12-09-2023, 12:54 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  Had Pressure Pules last night: Phaleronic 1 330 12-04-2023, 11:17 AM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Why do I get the big leaks early in the morning. Columbiabill 4 507 11-18-2023, 01:51 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.