Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periodic Breathing
Periodic Breathing
Hi friends, 

I was given CPAP back in 2012. I never really used it. I dug it out and started using it recently. I wanted to start using it again because I quit smoking. I have many PVCS throughout the day. And I’m trying to clean my life style up. I also want to lose weight. I never sleep well. I always feel tired and depressed and anxious and no energy. 

When I was given the cpap by the doctor he set the pressure level to 6 back in 2012. Since I started using it again I have played around with the settings and went to 6.5 and 7 with CFLEX 3.

I have been using the cpap for about a week now. These are the current stats on the machine from last night. 

Therapy hours 1 day: 6:54 //
Large leak: 0 percent //
Ahi 1 day: 4.6 //
Ahi 7 day: 3.4 //
Periodic breathing 1 day: 1 percent //
Periodic breathing 7 day: 0 percent //
90 percent pressure: 1 day 8.5 //
90 percent pressure: 7 day 8.6 //

My question is, are these good results? Also, the periodic breathing from last night says 1 percent. I did some research regarding periodic breathing and it has me slightly concerned. Should I schedule an appointment with the doctor about the 1 percent periodic breathing?
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Periodic Breathing
OSCAR software is free and can use the data from the SD card in your machine to provide information that is richer and more useful than anything you can transcribe. We can learn what kind of events you experience how they occur throughout the night and relationstto pressure. We can see your tidal volume respiration rate and minute vent and much more.

It sounds like you have a Philips System One auto CPAP and based on your AHI you need higher pressure. We van help more if you will download and install OSCAR on a computable use the tutorials linked in my signature to organize and attach some charts. The periodic breathing is only a variation in flow rate and nothing to worry about with your results. I would back off Cflex to 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Phillips machines seem to me to be over-reactive on their PB statistics. True there is a waxing/waning flow usually, but it is far from becoming a Chayne Stokes flow which actually shows no breaths then a CA then back to the more oval shaped flow. I learned, on this forum I think, that CFlex is used when you are on straight CPAP mode (only one pressure figure) and AFlex is used for the APAP mode.
Post Reply Post Reply
If you are using the heated hose dryness at the connection is more important, something about mixing electricity and water.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,127 5 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 385 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.