Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periodic Breathing
Periodic Breathing
What is an easy explanation of periodic breathing... does this mean I stop breathing?

Thanks!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Periodic Breathing
(04-29-2013, 10:57 AM)VickiJohnson Wrote: What is an easy explanation of periodic breathing... does this mean I stop breathing?

Thanks!

If you click on the Wiki at the top of the page and search Periodic Breathing it will give you an idea. If this doesn't help you try to Google Periodic Breathing"

Hope this is some help.
Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Vicki,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
What Bompa said.
Hang in there for more responses to your post.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
From provider guide: events definition
A persistent waning and waxing breathing pattern which repeats itself between 30 and 100 seconds. The nadir of the breathing pattern is characterized by at least a 40% reduction in airflow from an established baseline flow. The pattern must be present for several minutes before it can be identified as periodic breathing.
No therapy adjustments are made in response to periodic breathing.

Few events of PB is normal just as few events of central apnea but lots of them might indicate something else going on health wise
If you have any concern ... see your sleep doctor
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-29-2013, 10:57 AM)VickiJohnson Wrote: What is an easy explanation of periodic breathing... does this mean I stop breathing?

It's one of many possible indicators that you might not be getting enough oxygen while you're sleeping. The general condition is sleep disordered breathing. The usual culprits are hypopneas and apneas, but periodic breathing is another that might be a concern.

Is there something going on that's leading you to ask this question? My machine tells me from time to time that I've spent 1% of my time in periodic breathing. If it were something I were concerned about I'd probably get an oximeter and discuss it with my doctor.
Sleepster

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've only been using my cpap machine for one month, and it has indicated a few days of 1% to 2% of periodic breathing... I don't understand what that means... I'm spending a good deal of time reading, learning, trying to understand what is going on with me. Sleep apnea doesn't seem to be an easy thing... it is overwhelming and frightening...
Post Reply Post Reply
Viki,
there is nothing going on that you cannot learn here.
Do not be afraid, but instead become informed!
Smile
Fear is a luxury we don't need here. Wink

At least one prominanant MD has written a paper stating that there is no rocket science to apnea therapy.
<There can be a high BS factor now & then IMO.>

Periodic breathing is exactly what Zonk said. A repeating pattern of shallower breaths followed by deeper ones followed by shallow ones (repeat cycle)

In most of our cases it is not a desirable thing because it can lead to waking events causing you to lose sleep.
Clear? Simple? Easy?

Hang in there!
"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply
I am learning that my fear is misplaced... but there doesn't seem to be a clear cut case, no two are alike... I do know, that using the CPAP has made a huge difference in how I feel each day...

I'm one of those people who honestly didn't think they had it... my husband has had several back surgeries, he is often up and down at night, there is often a pet in the bed... I just felt my sleep was being interrupted by them and if I could just catch a nap I wouldn't be so tired... after reading on this board, I've realized I was having many of the systems that others had... tired all the time, dozing at my desk, feeling sleepy when driving, falling asleep when I was riding in a car... sleeping most of my weekend away.

But you know... you read the sleep study report and the terminology used is unfamiliar and you don't really believe that you are reading that you are only getting 10 true minutes of sleep each night... that's just crazy, right? It might be crazy, but that was me in that study.

So... here I am learning how to deal with this... at this point I do feel better, but I don't feel great, so what can I do to make my numbers go down... it is a learning process...

Thanks for the responses... I'm glad someone understands.

Vicki
Post Reply Post Reply
I do have a list of questions for my sleep doctor when I see him in May.
Post Reply Post Reply
When it starts to chisel into our life then we come to the crossroads.
Do we ignore this condition or adapt to it and try to improve things?

The implacations of choice #1 are not acceptable, to me, anyhow.

That tends to narrow it down fast. Smile

"With ordinary talent and extraordinary perseverance, all things are attainable." - Thomas Foxwell Buxton

Cool
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 45 1,117 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 149 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Nasal massage and exercises to help nose breathing sleepingbetterinFl 1 172 03-06-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Treatment] Using Bipap for UARS - can anyone help with erratic breathing and my settings? RagingBull 7 513 03-06-2024, 12:23 PM
Last Post: bertchintus
  Nasal Breathing / Septoplasty questions Ptee8899 7 384 02-13-2024, 11:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 3 221 02-11-2024, 11:30 PM
Last Post: eok361
  Implications of Expiratory mouth breathing? SingleH 9 488 02-09-2024, 02:35 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.