Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periodic breathing, and higher pressures
Question 
Periodic breathing, and higher pressures
10 days ago I raised my pressure to, 16.5 cm h2o, A/HI has gone down, hovering either side of 1, and I haven't had any snores, VS or VS2. Previously VS was rare and VS2 was rampant. The weird thing, is I'm seeing an increase in periodic breathing, as in more and longer events. Is the increase in PB, a result of the higher pressure? I'm not very concerned about it, I'm sure my heart is fine. I have an oximeter on order, and will soon be able to check saturation levels, but, I am curious, and would like to see your thoughts on the subject.    
                                                                                             Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Periodic breathing, and higher pressures
How much time out of the night does the periodic breathing happen?

Note: I'm an epidemiologist, not a medical provider. 
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2017, 11:46 AM)Beej Wrote: How much time out of the night does the periodic breathing happen?

The highest since I started using SleepyHead, Jan 9, is 7.64% and it doesn't happen every night, but more than half.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-30-2017, 03:29 AM)Hockenberry Wrote: 10 days ago I raised my pressure to, 16.5 cm h2o, A/HI has gone down, hovering either side of 1, and I haven't had any snores, VS or VS2. Previously VS was rare and VS2 was rampant. The weird thing, is I'm seeing an increase in periodic breathing, as in more and longer events. Is the increase in PB, a result of the higher pressure? I'm not very concerned about it, I'm sure my heart is fine. I have an oximeter on order, and will soon be able to check saturation levels, but, I am curious, and would like to see your thoughts on the subject.    
                                                                                             Thanks

Turn off VS2 in Sleepyhead...meaningless. 
Return to a pressure that did not cause periodic breathing and produced satisfactory AHI.
Stop looking at data too much.  Once a week is fine once AHI is under 2.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Do you have any difficulty breathing? Swollen ankles? Fluid retention? Periodic breathing has been associated with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). I saw episodes of PB (listed as Cheyne-Stokes Breathing on my ResMed machine), saw the doctor, was given a mild diuretic for a period of time -- and no more PB.

There was a slight fluid overload because I was chugging more water in anticipation of blood draws (1 unit every month for polycythemia -- possibly caused by de-satting at night and making more red blood cells to compensate.)

It might be smart just to record a few episodes on #Sleepyhead and fax them to your doc for a quick look.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
Hockenberry, have you done the research to see exactly what the waveform for CSR looks like? Do you have a complete flatline between the oval shaped forms? My PR 560 machine gives me almost 100% false readings--when I look at what it is calling CSR's they aren't---breathing doesn't flat line between the incidents of the breaths and no apneas, CA or OA, between them. I checked this out with my sleep doctor last week at my annual visit. since I do have some known heart problems I was concerned at first, but kind of ignore them now.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 11:17 PM)srlevine1 Wrote: Do you have any difficulty breathing? Swollen ankles? Fluid retention? Periodic breathing has been associated with CHF (Congestive Heart Failure). I saw episodes of PB (listed as Cheyne-Stokes Breathing on my ResMed machine), saw the doctor, was given a mild diuretic for a period of time -- and no more PB.

There was a slight fluid overload because I was chugging more water in anticipation of blood draws (1 unit every month for polycythemia -- possibly caused by de-satting at night and making more red blood cells to compensate.)

It might be smart just to record a few episodes on [url=http://OSCAR Official Download Page ----> CLICK HERE ./]SleepyHead[/url] and fax them to your doc for a quick look.

No, I just saw my Dr. last week, and he said my heart is strong, I just received my oximeter, so I'll be able to check O2 levels. I'm dropping min. pressure .5 tonight, to see if it changes, anything.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-01-2017, 11:52 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: Hockenberry, have you done the research to see exactly what the waveform for CSR looks like?  Do you have a complete flatline between the oval shaped  forms?  My PR 560 machine gives me almost 100% false readings--when I look at what it is calling CSR's they aren't---breathing doesn't flat line between the incidents of the breaths and no apneas, CA or OA, between them.  I checked this out with my sleep doctor last week at my annual visit.  since I do have some known heart problems I was concerned at first, but kind of ignore them now.

I just saw my Dr. last week and he checked out my heart. I've read quite a few threads about PB, and I going by what I see in SleepyHead, supplied by my SD card. I don't see a flat line, between waves.
Post Reply Post Reply
I know you are concerned, but google it, it's normal for people have some periodic breathing while sleeping.
http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/a...ekey=10902
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New Machine Higher AHI Hauty 5 121 Yesterday, 08:50 PM
Last Post: Abrecaminos
  Worried about periodic breathing / CA patterns Jorgo 102 2,579 04-16-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: jcp519
  High flow limit, erratic breathing and resp rates jclarke131000 14 298 04-16-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: jclarke131000
Question Does abnormal breathing trigger an elevated heart rate? Or vice versa. G. Szabo 14 359 04-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  periodic leg movement sheepless 151 16,855 04-13-2024, 06:27 PM
Last Post: kwhenrykerr
  Anything can be done for baby with breathing problems Ptee8899 2 358 04-09-2024, 05:57 AM
Last Post: OpalRose
  [Diagnosis] WatchPAT sleep apena diagnosis low AHI higher RDI. Need advice godiego 24 3,709 04-04-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: godiego

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.