Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Periods of no use recorded and not believed
Periods of no use recorded and not believed
Hi, firstly Ive had quick search of the forum and can't find my problem discussed and sorry for long first post.
So I was diagnosed 9 months ago and use an Airsense 10 Autoset.
Its not always been an easy road but on the whole therapy is working for me. Certainly Im symptomatically better which I guess is the main thing.
In last few weeks though I have started recording usages of only a few minutes each night. Not every night but in last 2 weeks Ive had maybe 4 nights like this.
Whats odd is on least 2 of these occasions I know for a fact I had the pillows on and positive air pressure. After the first event like this I sent my machine back last week but this week on a loan machine its happened twice. Last night I know it was working but Sleepyhead shows it was on briefly when I went to sleep and stopped shortly after ramping up. I typically wake around 3:30 am and I know when I did it was working. Also woke again at 6 ish and while "awake" I kept pillows on while reading in case I nodded off again. I then got up after 7, removed the pillows and machine reported 11 minutes of use! I put mask back on and checked 6 minutes later and use went up.
The water level in the tank is dropping, I have no dry mouth and feel fine (no symptoms like before).
My partner says when she's woken its been on and working and Im not snoring etc.

What is going on?

Worried about the data for compliance point of view and maybe not getting the best I can.
Thanks

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Periods of no use recorded and not believed
Hi ehunter,

Are you still using the SD card from the original machine or did the loaner machine come with a new SD card?

Maybe your SD card has been corrupted? I would try putting in a new SD card in the machine. If the A10 is like my S9 machine, it will copy onto the blank card all statistical data and usage data stored in the machine.

If that doesn't help, I suggest starting a new user in SleepyHead and downloading your sleep data into the new user. Maybe the new SD card and the newly-downloaded data in the newly-created user will show all the correct hours.

And if that doesn't work, I suggest requesting by email from Apnea Board the ResScan software to see whether ResScan is able to see the data SleepyHead is not seeing.

If doing the above doesn't uncover the problem then I would urge you to call ResMed Customer Service and ask to talk to a technical customer service representative. It is good for ResMed to get notification of problems like this. And maybe it is an issue they have heard about and can suggest what to do about it.

Happy hunting.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Vaughn: It think the machine serial number is on the SD card; and insertion into another machine would give either an erase or format warning.

Compliance data should be on the machine regardless of the SD card.

Just a thought -- but unlikely. What if the machines clock is off; and the data is being credited to a different day?

ehunter: Why don't you try the ResScan software?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the quick response Vaughn

I am unsure is the SD card is mine or a new one in the loaner machine, its certainly has no date before Monday when I picked up the loan unit.
I have downloaded Sleepyhead and it shows limited use. The two nights I had this, one showed 23 minutes use when I first went to bed. The second event is the same, shows 11 minutes use when I first went to be then the extra "test" minutes I did when I woke and realised it had no data.

Could I be mistaken somehow, maybe it wasn't working? Is it possible to sleep with it on and not working? I have noticed at times I somehow seal my nose from my mouth so can out breath with pillows attached. Could I be breathing like this? If so though why isn't my mouth dry and why don't I snore?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for reading.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi ehunter,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Much success to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 09:34 PM)ehunter Wrote: I am unsure is the SD card is mine or a new one in the loaner machine, its certainly has no date before Monday when I picked up the loan unit.

Any user data from a previous user would have been erased before you received the machine, and if the SD card from your old machine was reused in the loaner it would have been reformatted, which would likely have fixed a malfunctioning SD card but perhaps not neccessarily.

I think replacing the SD card might possibly fix the issue. But I think a SleepyHead file corruption is more likely. Creating a new user would, I think, eliminate a corrupted SleepyHead record, if that is the problem.

Quote:Could I be mistaken somehow, maybe it wasn't working? Is it possible to sleep with it on and not working? I have noticed at times I somehow seal my nose from my mouth so can out breath with pillows attached. Could I be breathing like this?

If SmartStart is now enabled, whereby the machine turns itself on when it senses your breathing and turns itself off when it senses you have taken the mask off, I suggest disabling SmartStart until the problem has been identified and fixed.

If you are ever awake with mask on and with air coming out of the mask vent holes with normal volume (indicating the machine is clearly operating normally) but your SleepyHead data says the machine was off at that time, your SleepyHead data would be incorrect.

The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-19-2016, 09:34 PM)ehunter Wrote: T
Could I be mistaken somehow, maybe it wasn't working? Is it possible to sleep with it on and not working? I have noticed at times I somehow seal my nose from my mouth so can out breath with pillows attached. Could I be breathing like this? If so though why isn't my mouth dry and why don't I snore?

Sorry for all the questions! And thanks for reading.

The first night I had my Airsense for Her, it failed to record 6 hours of time used. It showed when I got up to use the toilet, and then nothing until I got up a second time and put the mask on again. I brought it back and was given a Respironics loaner until I got a new machine. I think it's a fault on some of them. Since then, I've thought that it MAY be related to the auto-on/off. I had auto-on/off running at the time, but since I made some changes, only auto-on works. I have to manually shut off the machine each time. I forget what I changed that does that though.

Edited to add: The auto-off does not operate with EPR.
Post Reply Post Reply
Ok so an update.....Still with my loan machine but having more nights with little data recorded. Sleepyhead and diary notes though "may" be revealing a pattern.
The time that is recorded is always at the beginning of the night and data would seem to stop as I fall asleep.
This only seems to happen on nights when I have a few drinks and generally don't sleep so well. Am I sleeping "differently"?
I am sometimes aware that with pillows on and pressured up, I can somehow close off my nose and breath through my mouth, usually only breath or two though.
Last night though again I know machine stayed working all night on as I have disabled SmartStart as recommended here and I got up to loo and remember hose still blowing out.
Probably unrelated but also last night had worse night due to condemnation in hose, unusually cold night last night. This allows moisture into pillows "mesh" which as noted elsewhere does make exhalation more laboured.

Any more thoughts?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  15-minute periods of massive events (OSCAR pics included) nicholasb600 2 179 03-14-2024, 09:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
Surprised 20 minutes recorded for full night's sleep Deborah K. 10 597 01-06-2024, 07:14 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  OSA events mistakenly recorded as central? esaulcatnas 0 317 12-14-2023, 09:21 PM
Last Post: esaulcatnas
  [CPAP] WORST SLEEP APNEA IN RECORDED HISTORY, plzzz help! memoryNada786 23 2,803 09-11-2023, 08:11 PM
Last Post: Mjadalak
  Higher CA recorded in second half of sleep Ron R 1 356 07-21-2023, 07:39 AM
Last Post: SleepyinMTL
  Question about OSCAR accuracy during high leak periods raptosnorus 13 922 06-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Last Post: raptosnorus
  Are my apnea events being accurately recorded? vontheri 90 5,667 12-31-2022, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Pappy15

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.