Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
Angry 
Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
I'm writing this at 2:30 in the morning, unable to go back to sleep because my machine is acting up. For starters, I use Resmed Air Sense 10 for Her with Humid Air.

This is the second night where the hose connected to my mask starts making a thumping noise every time I inhale and has woken me up at this hour. Last night, I had no choice but to go back to sleep without my mask on (woke up with a headache in the morning and needed a nap during the day, just like old times!)

I have tried disconnecting the house and shaking out any trapped water and restarting my machine (unplug and plug back in). I'm not sure what else to do. This cannot happen another night, or it well effect my work week

I have a video where it's black but you can clearly hear the noise it's making. I'm having issues uploading it on this thread. If anyone wants to hear it, I could email it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
(10-04-2015, 02:01 AM)RebeccaJeanBean Wrote: I have tried disconnecting the house and shaking out any trapped water and restarting my machine (unplug and plug back in).
Water in the hose (rainout), turn down humidity level or get the heated tube
The noise could be also from the accident, dropping the machine from the nightstand
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
Just an idea - could it be the airflow valve in your mask which is causing this noise? What type of mask do you have (your profile shows the machine type where the mask type should go)?
Post Reply Post Reply
I had a thumping noise one time only. Turns out I overfilled the water chamber just a tad to much. That MAX line means MAX! (I found out). Maybe the same issue?
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 05:10 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Just an idea - could it be the airflow valve in your mask which is causing this noise? What type of mask do you have (your profile shows the machine type where the mask type should go)?

I'm inclined to agree with DeepBreathing. The Anti-asphyxia valve is a flapper valve located in the elbow of the mask. Mine pops maybe once or twice as I turn the machine on.

The RebeccaJeanBean's profile says the machine is an Autoset; but pressure set to 6. At 6, I would think that valve would "pop" open on inhale and closed on exhale.

Is this the same machine that fell from the nightstand back in August? If so, perhaps water buggered-up the machine. Did you have it checked out or replaced after the mishap?
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
The biggest fight I ever got into with a human was the sleep tech during the titration study.

The valves in the mask opening and closing DROVE ME NUTS. I could feel and hear them opening and closing with the different (ill fitting) full face masks.

She told me she never heard anyone complain, and said there were no valves on the mask (?).

There are, and she's an idiot. I now use an Amara view that has no valves, and haven't looked back.

If you check out the the machine, and it wasn't hurt from the drop or a humidifier issue, I bet it is the mask.

I have pretty severe TMJ, so I'm sensitive to stuff around my face. The valve movement actually hurt.

Good luck!
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 03:09 AM)zonk Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 02:01 AM)RebeccaJeanBean Wrote: I have tried disconnecting the house and shaking out any trapped water and restarting my machine (unplug and plug back in).
Water in the hose (rainout), turn down humidity level or get the heated tube
The noise could be also from the accident, dropping the machine from the nightstand

I've since had my machine replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sleep-well
(10-04-2015, 05:10 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Just an idea - could it be the airflow valve in your mask which is causing this noise? What type of mask do you have (your profile shows the machine type where the mask type should go)?

I'm sure it's a valve issue too... What else would make that noise? The mask I use is the ResMed Quattro Air Full Face Mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote: Is this the same machine that fell from the nightstand back in August? If so, perhaps water buggered-up the machine. Did you have it checked out or replaced after the mishap?

My machine has since been replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi RebeccaJeanBean,
You might have filled your humidifier chamber a bit over the line. This will cause gurgling in your hose.
Good luck to you in getting your problem solved.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,268 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 90 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 728 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 357 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.