Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
RE: Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
Then next is the question of pressure. Too low and the valve on the mask will pop.
I recommend you find which mode your machine is set to. Is it in auto or in fixed pressure CPAP?
If running at 6 cm-H2O a full face mask is probably not the proper mask for you.
The Anti-asphyxia valve is only found in FFMs. No need for one in a nasal mask as one can breathe through the mouth if the machine quits.

You might be better served by a nasal mask or nasal pillows.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Persistent thumping noise that wakes me up. Can't use for rest of the night.
Since you have replaced the machine I am assuming that the problem is corrected.
I had a occasional thumping noise on inhaling and exhaling also on my machine, not the mask. I believe that the swivel connector on the humidifier was very loose, so that it could swivel. When it was pressurized on inhalation it would hit the plastic body causing a thump. All I did to solve it was to put some weight (book) on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 11:02 AM)car54 Wrote: All I did to solve it was to put some weight (book) on it.

It's a sorry state when a machine has to have a kluged fix to resolve a design issue.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 10:51 AM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi RebeccaJeanBean,
You might have filled your humidifier chamber a bit over the line. This will cause gurgling in your hose.
Good luck to you in getting your problem solved.

Thank you for your input. My humidifier is only filled to the first line though (the third line is the max amount).
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-04-2015, 10:13 AM)RebeccaJeanBean Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 03:09 AM)zonk Wrote:
(10-04-2015, 02:01 AM)RebeccaJeanBean Wrote: I have tried disconnecting the house and shaking out any trapped water and restarting my machine (unplug and plug back in).
Water in the hose (rainout), turn down humidity level or get the heated tube
The noise could be also from the accident, dropping the machine from the nightstand

I've since had my machine replaced.
Water in the hose is called "rainout", here how to deal with it
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/sup...ation.html
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi all,

I appreciate everyone's input. I realized I had an extra valve piece from an old mask on hand so I switched valves. Things have been much better! For the future, is there any valve that anyone is a huge fan of that they would recommend? Are valves sold separately from masks?
Post Reply Post Reply
I thought the anti-asphyxia valve on full face mask only works when the power goes out, not while the machine is running
Am I missing something Thinking-about
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-07-2015, 01:20 PM)RebeccaJeanBean Wrote: I appreciate everyone's input. I realized I had an extra valve piece from an old mask on hand so I switched valves. Things have been much better! For the future, is there any valve that anyone is a huge fan of that they would recommend? Are valves sold separately from masks?

Good result! The valve is normally included as part of the mask. You could probably buy one as a spare part, but they're not otherwise sold separately.

Zonk Wrote:I thought the anti-asphyxia valve on full face mask only works when the power goes out, not while the machine is running
Am I missing something :Thinking-about:

Just guessing that a defective valve might not behave properly at low PAP pressure. RebeccaJeanBean's pressure is 6, which is pretty low.
Post Reply Post Reply
Quote:Water in the hose is called "rainout", here how to deal with it
http://www.resmed.com/au/en/consumer/sup...ation.html

After considering rainout and experiencing more of my problem (now as the weather and my room is getting colder), I think you may be right. I'm going to purchase a fleece hose cover today (and probably spend a fortune on fast shipping). My room gets insanely cold in the winter so I hope this helps. Thank you for your advice and source.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your room gets "insanely" cold during the winter and you are using the humidifier, you are probbly going to need the heated hose (Climateline hose) to avoid rainout during the winter. Some of the things that I have done before getting the heated hose are as follows. Purchased a fleece hose cover like what you are considering. When I went to bed, I would get into bed and pull all of the excess hose up under the covers with me and even lay on part of it. It worked for me but it sure was great when I got the heated hose.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Airmini noise question sfr79 38 20,258 03-20-2024, 09:22 PM
Last Post: Blausser
Video [Equipment] Resmed AS10 Water Chamber Noise SOLUTION fixed it 0 87 03-18-2024, 12:36 PM
Last Post: fixed it
  Breas Z2 - mask question/air noise sallym 0 142 03-07-2024, 04:17 PM
Last Post: sallym
  [Equipment] Loud noise from AirFit F20 mask SleepyLuke 2 1,603 03-04-2024, 12:38 AM
Last Post: SleepyLuke
Gross [Symptoms] Persistent headaches, nothing seems to fix haikuclue 16 726 02-14-2024, 08:09 PM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  [CPAP] Resmed airmini noise NYKP44 0 356 02-09-2024, 01:27 PM
Last Post: NYKP44
Question Resmed Autoset 10 buzzing noise - what now? mogulman 8 594 01-16-2024, 11:42 AM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.