Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Help Setting Pressure on Bilevel Machine
Surprised 
Help Setting Pressure on Bilevel Machine
HELP!

First I have to say that all of my apnea events are all CNS related. Sometimes it goes as high as 15 an hour and then the next night it will be 3. When I had my latest sleep study, it was 4. SOooooo

My DME is saying that they won't give me a bilevel machine because of the sleep study. Even if I pay for it. I lost my health insurance so I have told the DME that I would pay them instead of my insurance. But they still won't give it to me. My doctor won't give me my prescription, he'll only give it to the DME.

I think that I can get the prescription from a very sweet lady at the DME. But I'm slowly losing my mind.Oh-jeez

What I need to know is if I get the prescription and the machine from an online site, could someone one the forum help me set the machine?

Thanks, Kate
:Using cpap then vpap since Feb.2013,
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Help Setting Pressure on Bilevel Machine
Hi Kate. Once you get the machine and know what make / model it is, we'll be able to help with the settings.

I'm not really familiar with the tangled logic of the American medical system, but if the doctor provides a prescription to the DME, aren't they obliged to provide a machine as prescribed?

Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 01:04 AM)Kate Wrote: First I have to say that all of my apnea events are all CNS related.

Hi Kate,

If all your apneas are CNS related ("centrals"), then you need more than a standard bilevel machine. Only an Adaptive Servo Ventilator (ASV) class of bilevel machine will be able to treat your Centrals.

I think the best ASV machines are:
ResMed S9 VPAP ST-A
ResMed S9 VPAP Adapt
Philips Respironics System One (PRS1) BiPAP autoSV Advanced

Please check your Private Messages. I have sent you more info by PM.

Take care,
--- Vaughn
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 01:04 AM)Kate Wrote: HELP!

First I have to say that all of my apnea events are all CNS related. Sometimes it goes as high as 15 an hour and then the next night it will be 3. When I had my latest sleep study, it was 4. SOooooo

My DME is saying that they won't give me a bilevel machine because of the sleep study. Even if I pay for it. I lost my health insurance so I have told the DME that I would pay them instead of my insurance. But they still won't give it to me. My doctor won't give me my prescription, he'll only give it to the DME.

I think that I can get the prescription from a very sweet lady at the DME. But I'm slowly losing my mind.Oh-jeez

What I need to know is if I get the prescription and the machine from an online site, could someone one the forum help me set the machine?

Thanks, Kate

I don't know where you live, but in the US, your prescription is part of your medical records and should be provided to you upon your request. I would call the office manager at your doctor's office. However, if your prescription isn't for a bilevel, you won't be able to buy a bilevel machine. A DME has to fill the script as it is written by the doc. Also, you have to meet specific criteria for a bilevel machine and it isn't a good idea to get a machine that is not going to help you and as others have said, if you have Central, then a bilevel is not the right machine to treat it.
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 01:04 AM)Kate Wrote: HELP!
Your medical team are the best people to help you, they know your medical history

Post Reply Post Reply
Me50 and deep breathing,

I don't have insurance for two months because of President Obama's health care. So my DME won't do anrthing to help. They will give me an overpriced that I purchase, though.

I have been genetically diagnosed with narcolepsy and I need my machine to help with centrals before I have insurance. I am going to purchase a machine from the second online website that is on the supplier list ( that seems very awkward to say but I guess because of the rules, I have to do it. ) I found an open box special.

Then I will need help setting it. Thank you.

Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
(01-16-2014, 05:44 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: Hi Kate. Once you get the machine and know what make / model it is, we'll be able to help with the settings.

I'm not really familiar with the tangled logic of the American medical system, but if the doctor provides a prescription to the DME, aren't they obliged to provide a machine as prescribed?

No insurance for two months, so they act like I can't purchase it.

The doctor's office pretends that they have no idea of what a prescription for bipap is. That is the second sleep disorder doctor in my area that have said the same thing. Is there anything else beside the word the "prescription" that I am supposed to use?

Vaughn,

Could you send me your pm again, please. I didn't recieve it.

Kate
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply
why do you have to wait 2 months to get insurance due to Obamacare? Do you have the copy of your sleep study? If so, what does it show? wherever you had the sleep study should have sent the results, and usually a script, with the sleep study results. What is your diagnosis?
Post Reply Post Reply
Obamacare put my insurance company out of business because they wouldn't include maternitycare for me. Just what every 65 year old woman needs. So much for if you like your insurance, you can keep your insurance.
Kate
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Not Sure if Setting Changes Helping - Help Appreciated! WiscoKate 6 150 03-25-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: WiscoKate
Question I'm back, tired, and hopeless. But is Bilevel the answer ?? weuw 83 4,958 03-23-2024, 08:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Catathrenia +/- UARS: Bilevel or ASV or other? empiricismandstatistics 0 79 03-21-2024, 04:37 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  UARS diagnosis? No improvements on CPAP. What Bilevel machine to get and where? empiricismandstatistics 8 198 03-21-2024, 04:29 AM
Last Post: empiricismandstatistics
  Sucking in on bilevel ahuman 9 174 03-19-2024, 09:00 AM
Last Post: ahuman
  Bilevel ASV - Resuming After Septoplaasty Dread 130 8,128 03-13-2024, 12:39 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  [Treatment] CPAP to Bilevel advice kkjacks 21 787 03-12-2024, 01:33 PM
Last Post: kkjacks

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.