Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Amara View
RE: Philips Amara View
Thanks for the tips. Pretty good night, though shortened by the leaks returning (around 4 am again). Those leaks tend to blow across the face or up to the eyes/brows, so they do awaken me. And they do seem to be caused by a moistened face/mask from the humidifier, since the mask is a spot for condensation. I got up (had to use the bathroom), carried the mask in with me, wiped it and my face down with the baby wipes, and got a good seal once again. Woke up for good about an hour after that.
I'd already taken the humidifier out of auto and it defaulted to a setting of 4. I'll start lowering that in increments until I'm not awakened by "slickened" leaks. Other than the leaking, the numbers are very good and the sleep was very restful. No dryness in the mouth, either.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have heard a lot of good review about Amara View. However I see too many straps around the head compare to my P10. Only problem with P10 is that it doesn't have a swivel head. Dreamwear is really good for back sleeper. With the full mask Amara View I believe your AHI must be better than before.
Post Reply Post Reply
check out mask liners, you can buy them or make them out of an old T-shirt. They should help with the moisture and leaks

Good to hear you are getting some better sleep
Post Reply Post Reply
Every night since I started with the Amara View has been a disaster. I've tried loosening, tightening, and lots of other ploys, but my leaks are consistently over 100. I keep nodding off during the day, a clear indication that the therapy is not working. Last night I went back to the Wisp, just to get at least one decent night's sleep. I felt so good today that I have decided to just stay with the Wisp. My leaks with the Wisp tend to border on the magic number 24, but at least I can function during the day.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 09:44 PM)PoolQ Wrote: check out mask liners, you can buy them or make them out of an old T-shirt. They should help with the moisture and leaks

First night with the Padacheek liner in this mask. Dangdest thing, leaks were up, noticed it less or, really, not at all. Typical leak numbers without the liner was 0-3 median, 10-30 90%, but those leaks would awaken me either blowing across the face or noisy like a whoopee cushion. With the liner, median is 13.2 and 90% is 32.4, leak curve shows a near constant leak of less than 20. Other thing is there was no change in leakage due to condensation issues.

I'll fiddle with the fit a bit more, both the pad and the mask to face, think I can do better. My AHI is always less than 2, typically less than 1, was one of those mild apnea, but heavy heavy wake myself and the whole house up snorers. Also now have a roll of that paper tape and a chin strap for the nasal pillows, but I'm going to get a week's time in with this Amara view and pad to see if I can tune it in.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-10-2016, 09:44 PM)PoolQ Wrote: check out mask liners, you can buy them or make them out of an old T-shirt. They should help with the moisture and leaks

I'm moderately satisfied with my Amara View. I pretty well have the fit procedure down but I still get an occasional leak when I'm on my side. I've got a mask liner ordered and hopefully it will be here tomorrow. It's made specifically for the View so I'm hoping it will help with the occasional side leak.
Post Reply Post Reply
I also sometimes get side leaks, without lifting my head I turn it slightly and that tends to reseat the offending side of the mask
Post Reply Post Reply
I'd been looking at this mask online when this thread started, so was very interested in the comments. I do very well with my Wisp, but HAVE to wear a chinstrap and it is driving me crazy. Had an appointment with my DME Wednesday and he set me up with the Amera View. I didn't have time for him to fit it--figured after have two other masks (Wisp and Dreamwear) I could do it myself. That was a mistake--never did get it right last night. After an hour of messing with it, dug out the Wisp. I found the Amara noisy, and it felt like I was getting twice the pressure that I get wearing the Wisp. Leaks weren't huge, but like others mentioned, seem to go to your eyes--and I am one week past cataract surgery. Tried it loose and tighter--still leaked. I have an appointment with my DME next week for a proper fitting--hopefully it will work. I didn't have problems with mouth leaks, however. I didn't want anything to do with the chin strap (PR Premium) so I dug out my cervical collar--hadn't work it with the Wisp--and it worked great--nearly no leaks. Another problem--and a head's up to those that might try the Amara View--I got a really cold face because I use passover humidification--no heat or heated hose. No problem with the Wisp, but a big problem with the View. I will have to turn it back on if I get it to fit, but I get lower AHI results with it off--usually.

Post Reply Post Reply
Did you change to FFM in the menus? The Amara View is best fitted when you are not trying to go to sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-16-2016, 06:08 PM)SideSleeper Wrote: I'd been looking at this mask online when this thread started, so was very interested in the comments. I do very well with my Wisp, but HAVE to wear a chinstrap and it is driving me crazy. Had an appointment with my DME Wednesday and he set me up with the Amera View. I didn't have time for him to fit it--figured after have two other masks (Wisp and Dreamwear) I could do it myself. That was a mistake--never did get it right last night. After an hour of messing with it, dug out the Wisp. I found the Amara noisy, and it felt like I was getting twice the pressure that I get wearing the Wisp. Leaks weren't huge, but like others mentioned, seem to go to your eyes--and I am one week past cataract surgery. Tried it loose and tighter--still leaked. I have an appointment with my DME next week for a proper fitting--hopefully it will work. I didn't have problems with mouth leaks, however. I didn't want anything to do with the chin strap (PR Premium) so I dug out my cervical collar--hadn't work it with the Wisp--and it worked great--nearly no leaks. Another problem--and a head's up to those that might try the Amara View--I got a really cold face because I use passover humidification--no heat or heated hose. No problem with the Wisp, but a big problem with the View. I will have to turn it back on if I get it to fit, but I get lower AHI results with it off--usually.

The Pad-a-cheek liner diffuses the leaks for me. Leakage measured is higher (median) and more constant, but the least 2 nights, it hasn't blown across my face and awakened me. I still have a bit of snugging I can do, as well.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,832 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,615 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,058 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,137 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 379 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,124 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.