Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation APAP ramps up but not down
Philips Dreamstation APAP ramps up but not down
I have used a CPAP machine for nine years. I just switched to an APAP machine, set to 9-15. The machine ramps up during the night (probably when I roll over on my back) but it never ramps back down.

This morning I rolled over on my side and watched the clock for 1/2 hour. The machine never backed off from 15cmH2O.

Dreamstation design? All APAP machines? My particular machine broke? My machine doesn't recognize my breathing style? Would a Resmed machine be better at ramping down?

I suppose I could get used to it, but my mask sometimes leaks at 15 and it waked me up. I would rather have a machine that ramps back down when I am on my side.

Thanks
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Dreamstation APAP ramps up but not down
Hi Fbwap, welcome to the Apneaboard.

The machine appears to think you are needing the pressure, however, if you are awake and it is staying up in pressure either there is a reason for it or it is not working properly.
Download Sleepyhead and post some data so we can have a look at it to see what is going on.
The Dreamstation is not my choice of machine, but on saying that I didn't really find anything much wrong with them, they were a bit slower in responding, but not that you would really notice.
Download Sleepyhead (as found on some users signatures) and post the charts as also found there.
It will help us a lot to figure out what is going on.
There may be a reason it is staying high, after you upload some data we will have more idea.
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2018, 09:33 AM)Sleep2Snore Wrote: Hi Fbwap, welcome to the Apneaboard.

The machine appears to think you are needing the pressure, however, if you are awake and it is staying up in pressure either there is a reason for it or it is not working properly.
Download Sleepyhead and post some data so we can have a look at it to see what is going on.
The Dreamstation is not my choice of machine, but on saying that I didn't really find anything much wrong with them, they were a bit slower in responding, but not that you would really notice.
Download Sleepyhead (as found on some users signatures) and post the charts as also found there.
It will help us a lot to figure out what is going on.
There may be a reason it is staying high, after you upload some data we will have more idea.

I agree, the Dreamstation is a slower machine. For therapeutic value the machine is equal to it's competitors. More information is necessary to give you the best possible advice.

Welcome to Apnea Board!
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply
Welcome to Apnea Board. More than likely your machine is responding just like it's suppose to. I agree with the above about downloading SleepyHead software and posting a chart from it. Follow the links below for more information.
Download SleepyHead
Organize your Sleepyhead Charts
Posting Charts
Beginner's Guide to SleepyHead
Mask Primer
Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies.

Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.

Post Reply Post Reply
Hi fbwap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your questions.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-16-2018, 03:36 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: Hi fbwap,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck with CPAP therapy and hang in there for more answers to your questions.

Thanks. 
I talked to a technician at my doctor's office on Wednesday and I talked to Philips this morning. Both of them said my machine should not be staying maxed-out and should ramp down. They both said it sounds defective, and to return it for a different machine.
I am just trying to decide whether to try another Philips Dreamstation or if I should switch to a Resmed.
The Philips had two other minor issues.....
1. I have it set to fixed humidity and "5" but I wish it would put out a little more water.
2. It came set at 4-20. It ramped all the way up and was blowing my mask off. I then set it to 4-15 and when it hit 15, it was buzzing like an angry bee. The sound was coming up the tube and out my mask. I set it to CPAP for two weeks and it seemed fine. Then my doctor got back to me and told me to change it to 9-15. When I did that, it no longer buzzed when it hit the upper limit. So I am almost ready to try a Resmed. I am just looking for other people's experiences before I make a decision.
Post Reply Post Reply
I am a Dreamstation user because my old DME only carried Dreamstations. I like mine just fine, but after using a Resmed, I would probably pick the Resmed. It's got a few more features that suit a nerd like me, and I am Told it will stop some events because it's reaction time is faster.
Jesse

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,856 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,623 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,078 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Issues with APAP WWYD FlyingUmbrella683 1 90 03-22-2024, 07:21 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  New APAP machine: Lowenstein Prisma Smart Max Robert Detz 10 374 03-21-2024, 07:58 AM
Last Post: WisNaeMe
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,354 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  [Health] RESMED APAP tuning sleeper2460 10 577 03-18-2024, 08:43 AM
Last Post: sleeper2460

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.