Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP (A beginners review)
Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP (A beginners review)
Hi all,
I was diagnosed with severe apnoa (especially when I sleep on my back) and so I started trialling  CPAP machines nearly 3 months ago. I trialled a few machines so that I would purchase the right one that I felt most comfortable in using and also they are quite expensive to purchase in Australia.

In the end I bought a Philips dreamstation (auto). CPAP is all new to me and so I have my good nights (some sound sleep) and not so good nights (very little sleep) with CPAP. At times I felt like giving up, but thankfully with the encouragement of friends and this forum (and other forums) I have continued on CPAP. So a big thankyou to everyone. Thanks

So here is a short review based of the dreamstation and a little on the other machines I tried. This review is based on my very limited  experience on CPAP.

Firstly the other CPAP machines:
Fisher & Paykal Icon - Found it hard to exhale, no exhale relief so I didn’t last very long on this machine. I found it very hard to breath in and out on and it was noisy.

Weinhamm Prism - the air blew hard against me especially at higher pressures (I felt I was in a wind tunnel) made the mask jump, exhale was hard and not smooth at all.  

Airsense 10 - I loved how quiet it is, it’s easy to use, its size etc. but inhale and exhale for me for me was just a bit harder and not quite as smooth as the dreamstation and at times I felt I wasn’t getting enough oxygen.

Airsense 10 for her ( on same machine as airsense 10) – it seemed a little less harsh than the airsense 10 but for some reason I kept getting gas and bloating with it and I tended to breath shallower with it.

Dreamstation
In the end I chose the dreamstation. I did try the fixed setting for awhile but at times the higher pressures woke me up in the middle of the night. The auto seems to do this less so. These are the positives and negatives I have found on the dreamstation auto so far.

Positives:
Easy to breath on even at higher pressures, easy to clean and use, smart ramp feature, ramp at press of the button, swivel hose, preheat function, comfort settings (C flex + and A flex) – easy breathing between inhale and exhale seem smooth and more natural to breath on. Nice looking, removable humidifier. Access to detailed data. Heated hose and humidifier works well. Nice carry bag. solid machine, modem, can use without humidifier, choice of size of tube

Negatives:
Expensive in Australia, a touch noisier than airsense - slight noise going up tube to mask which keeps me awake at times (I’m a very light sleeper).  sometimes (rarely) I feel it breathes ahead which can give me a funny sensation but I think I can get use to that,  Larger footprint with humidifier),  Adjusment of pressure: 0.5 versus O.2 on Airsense. The bright light on the screen when you press the ramp button lights up the whole room.

Overall I am very happy with the dreamstation however due to been a very light sleeper there is a very slight noise (like all CPAP machines) that keeps me awake at times hopefully my body will readjust and I will get more hours on it. Early on in the 3 months I did try a dreamstation and it was noisy (whine sound in the motor) thank goodness they swapped it for another and it was much better.

I would give this machine at least 8/10. I hope this review helps someone else who is new to CPAP and wants to check out the dreamstation. Smile
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Dreamstation Auto CPAP (A beginners review)
Thanks for sharing, Steve. Congratulations on the progress you are making.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
I agree about the prohibitive cost of machines here in OZ but I found a solution which was to buy from the US. Neither Respironics nor Resmed like to have their machines sold in the US and then shipped to Australia but there are simple solutions.

1. Buy from an online supplier on the suppliers list at the top of this page who have no problems shipping to Australia. Some don't even need a prescription.

2. Buy from Supplier #2 who supply either new but unboxed machines or gently used (their phrase) machines. You will save over 60% of the cost here in OZ even after shipping costs have been factored in. They currently havea slightly used Dreamstation auto with humidifier for $US569. ($AUS755). This compares to $AUS 2349 purchased here from a well known local supplier.

While I like to support local business, in this case I can't see why a very necessary medical device is so expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2016, 11:34 PM)holden4th Wrote: I agree about the prohibitive cost of machines here in OZ but I found a solution which was to buy from the US. Neither Respironics nor Resmed like to have their machines sold in the US and then shipped to Australia but there are simple solutions.

1. Buy from an online supplier on the suppliers list at the top of this page who have no problems shipping to Australia. Some don't even need a prescription.

2. Buy from Supplier #2 who supply either new but unboxed machines or gently used (their phrase) machines. You will save over 60% of the cost here in OZ even after shipping costs have been factored in. They currently havea slightly used Dreamstation auto with humidifier for $US569. ($AUS755). This compares to $AUS 2349 purchased here from a well known local supplier.

While I like to support local business, in this case I can't see why a very necessary medical device is so expensive.

I agree, why are they so expensive in Australia. Also Resmeds are made here in Aussie and why are they so expensive - similar price to Philips too.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(09-11-2016, 08:28 AM)stephennic Wrote: ...

Firstly the other CPAP machines:

Weinhamm Prism - the air blew hard against me especially at higher pressures (I felt I was in a wind tunnel) made the mask jump, exhale was hard and not smooth at all.  

Hi Steve and congratulations on the progress you are making!!!

Since I'm using a Weinmann Prisma 20A Auto CPAP for the last 2 weeks, I must say that one (among lots) of the things that have impressed me positivelly about this CPAP is the EXCEPTIONAL EASE OF BREATHING - even at high (to me) pressures, like 10-12cm H2O, which seems to be my "morning" pressures. I watch them as I wake up every morning.

To be honest, in the first couple of days, while waking up, I thought the CPAP was off. But it was working!... At 10-12cm H2O and my breathing was extremelly easy. The comfort setting I'm using is 3 (scale: 0-3) and it's very comfortable. Needless to say that it's absolutely quiet (<26.5dB @ 10cm H20 as declared by the manufacturer).

Of course my F&K Eson nasal mask is always at its place and measured leakage (during each night) is (usually) <2.5L/h.

Perhaps, during your testing, you might have left the Comfort setting to 0.

Keep up the good work!...

Costas
Post Reply Post Reply
Amazon sells the Dreamstation CPAP auto with humidifier and heated tubes for $357 now, which is where I got mine. It's more than 60% discount in my part of the world. Been on it for 2 weeks... brought my AHI from 20 to sub 1.... very happy with the Dreamstation.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-20-2017, 08:08 AM)st8800 Wrote: Amazon sells the Dreamstation CPAP auto with humidifier and heated tubes for $357 now,

Just keep in mind that Amazon does not sell CPAP machines.  Rather, it's private sellers using Amazon to sell CPAP machines. (anyone can become an Amazon merchant rather easily - it's kind of like eBay)

So, like any private sale, you have to make sure you're buying from a legitimate CPAP seller that isn't going to give you something less than what you're expecting or a used machine.  At least take a look at the individual Amazon reviews of the seller account you're buying from (not just the ratings of the machine itself).

Not saying you can't get very good deals on Amazon (or eBay for that matter) - just saying that extra caution is advised when doing so.
SuperSleeper
Apnea Board Administrator
www.ApneaBoard.com

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks SuperSleeper, well noted.
Post Reply Post Reply
Bought a dreamstation 500 Auto from Amzn for $383. Got it from supplier with 100% positive ratings and more than 5000 reviews. Machine is legit and is brand new. Everything from zero hours on display to new Mfg date to new plastic smell checks out. Given how many DMEs’ horror stories are there on many apnea forums, I think I trust amzn sellers more than anyone else.

And the machine is definitely an upgrade from my PRS1 60 series auto. This looks like a sleek consumer device. The 60 series looks like a Soviet tank in comparison.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] DeVilbiss IntelliPAP 2 AutoAdjust Auto CPAP Machine with Heated Humidifier PulseDose dfstarman 4 5,446 12-23-2022, 10:59 PM
Last Post: Cuppa
  [Product Review] New Dreamstation 2 Advanced Auto ttfespe 16 8,577 11-13-2022, 02:19 PM
Last Post: chronic
  [Product Review] Upgrade/Review: Dreamstation to Dreamstation 2 PajamaGame 3 8,945 05-19-2022, 08:14 AM
Last Post: CurtA
  [Product Review] Weinmann / Löwenstein Prisma 20A Auto CPAP Costas P 4 25,063 11-25-2021, 05:58 AM
Last Post: Kadenz
  [Product Review] Dreamstation Bipap Auto SV C0mbe 6 9,368 01-23-2019, 07:05 AM
Last Post: My3rd3y3
  [Product Review] Phillips Respironics DreamStation CPAP Pro Bompa 8 12,061 04-20-2017, 01:52 PM
Last Post: oldteddybear
  [Product Review] Transcend travel Apap review Sinkiller 4 15,509 09-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Last Post: Eleong2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.