Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation - Engine wine at 9cm is that normal
Philips Dreamstation - Engine wine at 9cm is that normal
Hi all,
I am currently renting out a Philips dreamstation, my starting pressure is 6 which its quiet as a mouse but when its gets to my fixed pressure of 9 most of the time I hear the motor whine, is that normal for this model?
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Dreamstation - Engine wine at 9cm is that normal
That depends on what you mean by whine. I have mine set to start at 11.5 now and while I can hear it if I listen for it, I would not describe it as whine. I can hear the blower spinning faster and slower as I inhale and exhale. But it is less noisy than a fan in the room would be. If it is an actual sharp whine, you might have a defective blower (bad bearing etc).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hello stephennic.

There are some things that can make the DreamStation make noises that you can check.
  1. make sure the humidifier is securely attached to the blower unit.
  2. make sure the water tank and humidifier lid seal are clean, not damaged and are properly installed.
  3. make sure the air filter is not damaged or clogged, is properly installed and fully seated.

Best wishes,
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Are you using a flex or c flex? The blower is a stepper motor that spools up and down really quickly to maintain pressure differential between IPAP and EPAP when flex is on. In case of a-flex, the differential is at least 2cm h2o. This spooling may cause a slight whine which is getting conducted thru the pipe and mask and amplified by your facial bones so your ears hear it very well.
PRS1 Auto & Dreamstation Auto w/ P10 and straight pressure of 8cm
Post Reply Post Reply
Also make sure the hose is not touching your head as that can conduct noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks everyone, I swapped it for another dreamstation and the noise is much quieter. I put some rubber under it as well to stop noise going through to the wooden floor.

I went to a CPAP shop today and tried a few CPAP machines. I had a try of the Fisher and paykal today its much noiser, I didnt like it didn't have any expire relief. Also looked at the weinmann prism it was and it was quite an impressive machine, slight noise. The quietest one out of the lot was the airsense 10 but preferred the ease of breathing on the dreamstation. Dreamstation seem to be the second quietest of the lot. I think I llke the dreamstation the most so far. Renting it for two weeks and hopefully will decide soon. I have rented the airsense but leaning towards the dreamstation. Also trying the weinmann prism out for a week too.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I do not hear any noise from my Dreamstation. It is on a mat and the hose is touching the bed. Very happy with it at this time. min pressure is 11

Post Reply Post Reply
As mentioned in other threads, I found the Dreamstation louder than the Airsense 10.

What I find troubling is the trend of "defective" units from both Resmed and Respironics. They don't seem to be making quality cpap machines any more. I think this is why it's terribly important to deal with a DME that won't give you hassle in getting your cpap machine repaired or replaced.
Post Reply Post Reply
(07-10-2016, 02:21 AM)Hmm888 Wrote: As mentioned in other threads, I found the Dreamstation louder than the Airsense 10.

What I find troubling is the trend of "defective" units from both Resmed and Respironics. They don't seem to be making quality cpap machines any more. I think this is why it's terribly important to deal with a DME that won't give you hassle in getting your cpap machine repaired or replaced.

I am new to CPAP so trying to get use to a mask and machine and I am a very light sleeper, so I have to sought out this noise issue - got to sleep after 3pm last night. I tried the Airsense 10 and liked how quiet it was but found hard to breath on even with expiration settings, whereas the philps I felt very comfortable in breathing but the slight noise goes up my mask into my head and also can hear the machine whine at times. What to do? Trying a fan and trying to ignore it - maybe I get use to it or maybe try the airsense again.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,823 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 207 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,607 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,044 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 415 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,067 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 373 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.