Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
Hi all,
My first post. I am new to CPAP. I get severe sleep apnea on back moderate on side. I was given a System one 50 series machine but have found it to noisy. I tried 6 masks and finally settled on Amara view. Tried nose one not enough oxygen, tried full face and left sore mark on bridge of my nose. The amara view was the most comfortable without too many leaks.
I am choosing between 2 machines, Philips dreamstation and Airsense 10. I want something that is gentle on breaths and comfortable and very quiet as I am light sleeper. Any help would be appreciated.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
Hi stephennic,
Welcome to Apnea Board!
Both the DreamStation and the AirSense 10 are quiet machines.

It sounds like you are considering a straight pressure Cpap machine. You may want to give some serious thought to obtaining a fully data capable Auto Cpap (Apap). This will allow you to set a range of pressures that adapts to your breathing easier.

With a Cpap, you can use one pressure setting, but with an Apap, you have the choice of a pressure range or you can set it to Cpap mode (two machines in one.)

Here is a link to the newer machines available and which ones to avoid.
http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices

Good luck and ask questions anytime.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the welcome, do you have a preference between those two.
Thanks.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2016, 08:28 AM)stephennic Wrote: Thanks for the welcome, do you have a preference between those two.
Thanks.
Cheers
Steve.

Ha, that's funny! You're bound to get a lot of responses on that question.

But seriously, I've only used one machine, and that's the one in my profile. There are folk here who have used both brand machines, so hang in there for responses. Plus, there are several threads on the two machines that you have in mind.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Is that a Dreamstation, I have no idea what a REmstar auto 560 is. In Australia its probably known by something else, different number etc.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Steve, welcome to Apnea Board.

There's not a lot to choose between these two machines - it's a bit like Holden & Ford. Resmed machines are made here in Oz, which is a point in their favour for me. They also make them in Singapore, and if you decide to import one from the States you may get a Singapore machine. I suggest you very carefully review the prices you are offered by your local supplier and check out the on-line deals available in America. There is a list of suppliers here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...plier-List Take into account the AUD / USD value, shipping and the Border Farce "handling fee". (They are GST exempt, but BF mange to get some amount of money out of you). Also be aware that if you do have any problems, you'll have to send it back to the States for service - even if it's made here in Australia! Never mind, it's all part of Malcolm's bigger plan to look after the top end of town. </rant>

Anyhow, both machines are good. There have been a number of people complain about air leak noise from the humidifier of the Resmed. I haven't heard the same about the Philips. In my experience the noisiest component is usually the mask, rather than the machine itself. My S9 is so quiet SWMBO woke me up a couple of nights ago to tell me to turn mine on - it was on!

You should also be aware that both machines are very largely a re-packaging of their predecessors (S9 in the case of Resmed) and you can get some pretty good deals on the superseded models.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-25-2016, 09:08 AM)stephennic Wrote: Is that a Dreamstation, I have no idea what a REmstar auto 560 is. In Australia its probably known by something else, different number etc.
Cheers
Steve

It's the predecessor to the DreamStation. Basically the same machine in a kludgy looking package. The DreamStation is all sleek and streamlined but it works the same. I just looked at a local dealer website here in Perth - one machine is ~$1100 and the other is twice that.

Having said all that, the Philips Respironics naming convention is a complete mishmash so check very carefully that you are getting the machine you expect.
Post Reply Post Reply
We have end of financial year sales at the moment, so shopping for a discount. There was a whine or hum in my mask above 7cm , wondering if its a seal or bearing in the Resmed 50 series one machine. Tried everything, put blanket under machine, new filter etc. Maybe its the mask but I think a vibration is travelling up the hose going into the mask. I tried earplugs it made it worse, the hum or whine echoes in my head. Tried it for 4 nights , took mask off and said no I think I need a new CPAP machine. I even took it to the shop they couldn't hear what I was hearing.
This CPAP is all new to me so hopefully a new machine will be the answer.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
The 50 series one machine is a Philips Respironics machine not a Resmed.The older designations for the Resmed are like S9 autoset or S9 VPAP Auto etc. The link that Opalrose gave will give you a good idea of the naming conventions (or should I say variable naming conventions).

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Echoing others comments it basically comes down to preference and perhaps pricing. I use the Resmed A10 (some call it the S10) and it is extremely quiet as long as the humidifier is properly seated in the chamber which is not hard to do. It also is light so travels in its case easily. Given that I found it unnecessary to purchase a separate travel unit so i can have the same sleep while away from home. There are very small travel units available but they have reported issues (see other threads re the Z1) with noise and turning off randomly to name a few so the light A10, at least for me, killed two birds with one stone.
Coffee

Happy Pappin'
Never Give In, Never Give Up

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,817 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
Question New CPAP User - Help Please - ResMed Airsense 11 Autoset Pawpri 17 342 Yesterday, 07:47 AM
Last Post: Old Steve
  Feel like my CPAP machine is killing me jimbob123 1 84 Yesterday, 05:42 AM
Last Post: Rich66
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,603 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,032 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 10 298 03-22-2024, 03:08 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 29 620 03-21-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: NewlyDiagnosed

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.