Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
RE: Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
(07-28-2016, 04:59 AM)lab rat Wrote: Mate you're doing really well, trust me.

Back in the day when I started CPAP it took me a full 6 months before I could wear the mask continuously all night.

There were no nasal masks just the ones with a forehead pad that went over your nose. Combined with the headstrap it was like having a spider or a paper bag on your face. And it was noisy.

Getting used to breathing through your nose not your mouth, etc etc is a huge change. And as you can notice it's far easier to breath without a mask on.

All I can say is stick with it, gradually you'll last longer than 5-6 hours. All the little noises and stuff you'll learn to sleep through. If Dreamstation is more pleasant to use then use that one, the old resmed's noise I learnt to get used to (now they are virtually silent)

Thanks for the encouragement, a few nights there since I nearly gave up. I will keep trying as I know in the long run its worth it.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
I have an Airsense 10 Auto, would recommend to anyone so far. Certainly more affordable than the Philips, I actually had the choice through my insurance and choose the Airsense 10 Auto. Its fool-proof really, not that it needs to be, its a life changing therapy and should be considered carefully. the Airsense myAir website is as simple as it gets, the data is pretty useful and uploads automatically. It allows you to check your sleep data daily and that helps to find what works best as far as sleep position, mask and seal issues. Really just whatever you can decipher though the recorded data will help you to find a solid routine and get that full nights sleep. It's mostly trial and error. The autoset is nice, I usually stay somewhere between 5 and 12, but the range is 5-20 for me, just in case you need that extra pressure for some weird reason, like sleep position. I'm certainly not an expert or Resmed guru, but I haven't found any problems with it yet. Which one did you go with and hows it working so far?
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi,
I am trialing the dreamstation, I found the Airsense 10 a bit harsher to breath with whereas the dreamstation seems to be gentler breathing in and out. I did like the airsense 10 as its so quiet. I am also going to check out the Airsense 10 for her as I was told its a smoother algorythm.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 07:57 AM)stephennic Wrote: Hi,
I am trialing the dreamstation, I found the Airsense 10 a bit harsher to breath with whereas the dreamstation seems to be gentler breathing in and out. I did like the airsense 10 as its so quiet. I am also going to check out the Airsense 10 for her as I was told its a smoother algorythm.
Cheers
Steve

Is it any better than it was 6 months ago?

Are you sleeping longer with the mask now?
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-01-2016, 07:57 AM)stephennic Wrote: Hi,
Cheers
Steve

I got the Dreamstation for that very same reason. A friend of mine also told me the hospital he works at uses Philips equipment when he heard I was looking for a new cpap.

Now comes the spanner. Resmed has come out with something called Autoset Response TM mode. Its allows a standard or soft setting for the air pressure rise algorithm for both the Airsense 10 Autoset him & her models. One of the suppliers had a very good deal on S10 last Christmas but that stock didn't come with this latest feature, so it was a deal breaker for me.

When I saw the price for Dreamstations on Amazon complete with humidifier & climateline, it was a no brainer then. Grin

All the best in your selection! Sleep-well

lots-o-coffee
The doctor says coffee does not affect my tinnitus and it's got lots of antioxidants....however, the after dinner drinks are a different matter altogether. 
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 469 4 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,219 8 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 9 hours ago
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,910 Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,430 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.