Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
RE: Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
Hi all,
I took the Airsense 10 back today and swapped it for the Dreamstation. Last night was terrible got to sleep around 3pm; the amount of Apnoea was around 12.6. I still found it hard to exhale naturally. It wasn’t switched onto RAMP at all so that was some of the issue, so hence long time to get to sleep. It was on level 3 for exhale so that shouldn’t be a problem. Also the technician said they both have a exhale function up to 3 cm and another sales rep said the Philips has a slightly smoother more natural breathing rhythm.

I tried the Philips Dreamstation and for about 10 minutes in the clinicians shop and then for 10 minutes at home. Straight away I felt I could breathe out (exhale) smoother and more naturally but the real test will be the next couple of nights before my final decision.
So my initial impressions between the two models, but this may change

Airsense 10:
Positive: Prefer its size and look, Ease of use, very quiet, a little more solid machine.
Negative: No ramp button, hard to exhale naturally, water tank emptied quickly

Philips Dreamstation
Positive: Water tank seems larger, quiet, easier for more natural breathing, Separate Ramp button, cheaper than Airsense
Negatives: Larger footprint, maybe very slightly nosier, slightly more technical settings.

If it turns out I can breathe slightly better with The Dreamstation and have a better sleep then that will be the decider for me.

Cheers

Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-26-2016, 03:21 PM)sdb7802 Wrote:
(06-26-2016, 08:55 AM)stephennic Wrote: Have they updated the software on the dreamstation now, I read back In December it was very limited.
Cheers
Steve.

Don't know if it's been updated.

The two issues that seem to annoy users are:

1.) display backlight too bright and stays on too long if you shut her down for a bathroom break.

2.) bluetooth flaky. Requires frequent reset. (I don't use it; I use a wifi sd card.)

Neither issue really bothers me.
I also find the back light somewhat annoying when I get up during the night but I just hold my hand over it for the short time it takes to turn off. When I return I just put the mask back on and the machine turns back on automatically without turning the light on.

Even with my inexpensive Tracfone I haven't had any problem maintaining the Bluetooth connection.
After it downloads the new data via Bluetooth it uploads data by wifi so I can also see it on the internet version of DreamMapper.
Post Reply Post Reply
Mask Used: Philips Nuasane Gel. (Used on both A10 and DreamStation)

Philips DreamStation APAP for me. It is so quite that I can't even hear it when running. Pressure range 5-15. Run mostly at 6. I did not know the max value during my sleep because I never wakeup to check due to the noise.

ResMed A10 pressure: mostly at 7.5 but something up to 13!

My Dr. subscribes me ResMed Airsense A10. The machine is smaller than DreamStation and the case is very nice. The problem is the A10 amplified the breathing noise pattern so loud that I need to wear earplug to sleep. The noise come from the humidifier chamber. I come back to DME for a new humidifier but nothing help. I come back the second time they give me entire new machine still bad. Third time I told DME I want nothing to do with A10 anymore. They gave me DreamStation and now I sleep as a baby. Average 7 hrs a day - 10 days so far!

The design of A10 humidifier is very bad. The seal between the humidifier to the machine body will not last long.

The look and carry case of A10 is year ahead of dreamstation, but the rest of A10 is years behind Dreamstation. I am not sure whey ResMed event all such as bad machine release to the users. Where are ResMed Design Engineer review board? Where are ResMed quality control people?
Post Reply Post Reply
I don't know what the A10 carry case looks like but I think my case for the DreamStation is excellent. Everything including my hose hanger fits neatly in the case. The case has a strap on it to slip over the pull along handle of a suitcase so can set the DreamStation on top of the suitcase. This makes it easy moving though the airport with both the suitcase and DreamStation.
Post Reply Post Reply
There was a whistle or whine in the dreamstation which kept me wake. I cleaned the seal on the humidifier and made no difference. What to do?
Post Reply Post Reply
Get a different one. The DreamStation should be all but silent. There is a slight whirring noise of the fan when you breathe. But it sounds like the air from a room fan not a whistle or whine. My first DS had a problem like that. Go get a good one.

Post Reply Post Reply
Make sure the filter on the Dreamstation is correctly inserted. This may cause a whistling noise.
Post Reply Post Reply
An update, round 2 got another Airsense 10 and Dream station and will try again the next couple of nights.
A question was told the airsense has a special feature, the ramp can be on auto and can sense when you are asleep and then turn to full pressure. Does the dream station have that feature? Also I was told the airsense has a softer breathing function but only available on the auto version. I was also td the Philips has a softer breathing pattern, but you maybe more at risk at centra apnoa more than Airsense has anyone heard that.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
Just used the two machines last night. The dreamstation this time was a lot quieter, however I found I was breathing to fast with it as if I was racing, the Airsense I felt I wasn't getting enough air - more force myself to breath. Any thoughts on that.
I think then airsense is a touch quieter than the deamstation. Looks like I will have to get use to it, I am a very light sleeper and still not much sleep. Someone told me to try a Fisher and paykal or a Wenmann prismalab machine - any thoughts? Are they noisey or do I keep perisiting?
Thanks all.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
stephennic,
Re-check the Airsense to make sure that it is set at the correct pressure. It sounds like it might be set low or you have engaged the ramp feature with a lower starting pressure.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,214 3 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 214 4 hours ago
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,873 8 hours ago
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 5 460 9 hours ago
Last Post: xaid
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,429 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,442 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.