Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
RE: Philips Dreamstation or Airsense 10 CPAP machine
Okay..... I have neither of the new machines .... But I used to be a ResMed fanboy. Not anymore. After buying a very slightly used Respironics 560, I never looked back. Sample of two ResMed S-9s Autosets, one went bad ~50% fail rate for me (admittedly not data, just anecdotal observation).

One point I REALLY favor with the Respironics Dreamstation over the ResMed units is that the Respironics units still use a standard 12 V power source so standard and readily available batteries are good to go without a $100 DC-DC upconverter like the ResMed units will require. As I understand it, you have to use Respironics' DC cord with a "Mother May I?" resister on the center pin, but it is still about a fourth the cost of the ResMed DC-DC converter. That may be a factor if you ever go camping or lose power.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply
Talked to clinician set on auto ramp on Airsense starting at 5, and 2 for exhale. Also dreamstation on 2 for exhale starting at 5 for ramp. So will try those settings tonight. I was told should use ramp before sleeping as probably getting to much oxygen initially creating difficult breathing issues.
Cheers
Steve.
Post Reply Post Reply
stephennic,
So you will know, most users report feeling starved for air until the pressure reaches 7 to 8.

Also two thoughts come to mind:
1. What is the starting pressure that the clinician uses on their machine.
2. Having too much oxygen seems like someone complaining about having too much ammunition in a firefight. . . it just doesn't happen.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
stephennic, the DreamStation won't (can't) force you to breathe or control your pace. I find it takes 30-60 seconds to get in sync with my breathing and then I can slow down to a comfortable pace and drift off to sleep. It will follow your breathing once it gets your breathing focused. But if you start to hyperventilate, it is happy to play along!
Post Reply Post Reply
Operation 2 cm is impossible to attain on many machines since the lowest they will go is 4 cm.

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
And four would leave me feeling suffocated and air deprived.
Post Reply Post Reply
Sorry I meant, level 1-3 for exhale pressure, I had it set at level 2.
Well last night tried the two machines side by side with the news settings, the Phillips I tried first, easier breathing pattern , but it was still noisy for me even my wife said she could hear it, tried for at least an hour. I wear earplugs so I hear the whir of the motor more higher pitched than the Resmed Airsense 10. Next the resmed airsense 10, it was a bit better with noise than the dreamstation, and breathing was nearly as good. I ended going to sleep after about 30 mins got 6 hours and 5.6 episode per hour. Is that a good result?
So I think the airsense may be the choice. Interesting all the philips literature says the dreanstation is 63% quieter than the resmed airsense 10. In my experience I found the Airsense 10 a bit quieter than the 2 dreamstation I have tried. Has anyone had a similar experience?
I had a bit of a headache this morning is that normal after affects of a CPAP machine?.
Has anyone heard if they are upgrading the airsense a10 to 3G from 2G ?
Should I take the plunge or try a few more nights or try a different brand?
Thanks for everyone's help, much appreciated for putting up with all the questions.
Cheers
Steve
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-29-2016, 09:41 AM)Crimson Nape Wrote: 2. Having too much oxygen seems like someone complaining about having too much ammunition in a firefight. . . it just doesn't happen.

This is not true. Granted it's unlikely on CPAP alone, but too much oxygen, especially at higher than normal pressures such as divers experience, can do serious damage to the body. Google "oxygen toxicity" and read the Wikipedia article, or if you prefer one of the other multitudinous hits such a search will bring up.

Oxygen is in the same column as Chlorine and Florine in the periodic table, and it is there for a reason.

Also you can easily cause yourself to faint by hyperventilating out of fear or anxiety or, as we used to do when I was a kid, doing it on purpose for a "high".

Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks Ed. Maybe I should have clarified my statement to reflect a CPAP. With this being an apnea and not a diving forum, I figured the reader would make the connection.

My apologies.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I understand it from my days studying chemistry, oxygen of the O2 variety is really quite corrosive.

OMMOHY
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  From DreamStation to AirSense 10 or AirSense 11 xaid 6 469 5 hours ago
Last Post: Phaleronic
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,219 9 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Ready to buy CPAP machine NewlyDiagnosed 13 215 9 hours ago
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,918 Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
Sad Blinking Red light on my Airsense 10 machine please ? What does it mean cajones 9 11,430 03-15-2024, 02:34 PM
  Need help new on CPAP machine Jimasripper 4 163 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM
Last Post: Jimasripper
  Is a travel CPAP machine worth it? BobbieM 21 5,446 03-14-2024, 01:55 PM
Last Post: tommystix

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.