Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Dreamstation power requirements
Philips Dreamstation power requirements
DreamStation Auto

I see the power supply puts out a max of 12v @ 6.67A ( 80W ).

Any idea on what power the CPAP actually draws? (no heated hose, no humidifier)

I'm looking at the potential for a multi day camping trip this summer.  Normally, for a single overnight I'd do without, for even 2 days I'd be willing to go without.  But 3 nights might be too much for me.  I don't know yet how many nights this trip would end up being.

I'm trying to figure out a battery configuration.  I would have the ability to charge it during the day, so it doesn't have to be able to run multi-nights on a single charge.  But it it can go for 2 nights on a single charge, that's a bonus.

And it needs to be something reasonably lightweight, not a car battery.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Dreamstation power requirements
I had one on test but I never tested the current it took on 12Vdc.  You can hire smaller batteries than a car battery that might run you for two nights, these are Li-ion, but you can't charge them up with a car battery.  However, if you get the right company they will give you a charger that will run off a solar cell, but if you are walking you will not want to carry that around.  If you do a lot of camping it might be worth trying one of the small portable mini cpaps as they will run for a few days off a li-ion battery.
There is a blog around somewhere where a guy camps using his cpap. However, I see he was going by raft and had a big battery.  http://www.healthyresources.com/sleep/ma...rness.html
This might be also worth a read  https://www.healthsqyre.com/education/ca...th-a-cpap/
Check in our own Wiki for tips http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...=Wiki_Home
I am NOT a doctor.  I try to help, but do not take what I say as medical advice.

Every journey, however large or small starts with the first step.

Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
I did find this:

[commercial link removed, instead search for "PowerAd Charger Center 50000mAh High Capacity Portable Power Source"]

80W, 12V output - this matches the CPAP power supply output. At 50 Amp hours it should get me at least a full night - and probably a lot more, depending on the actual current draw of the CPAP. Price isn't too bad either. An alternative was a Philips battery at about 4x the price.

Since this is going to be a one-time trip, I'm not really looking forward to spending anything at all. If I were to do this trip multiple times...then, yeah.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

edit:

Sorry for the commercial link.
Post Reply Post Reply
Huh, I see that Philips is doing the connector-conspiracy thang now, too ... caught the bug from Resmed, apparently. Here's a quote from a supplier's web site about a Battery Power Solutions adapter box that lets you connect your Dreamstation to a 12V battery:

Quote:Although Respironics Dreamstation series PAP devices operate from 12V direct current, the DC port on these devices requires a proprietary signal in order to recognize a valid power source; therefore, a 12V power adapter is required to complete the connection between the device and the CPAP battery.

Battery Power Solutions’ 12V Power Adapter was specifically designed for use with Respironics Dreamstation series PAP devices and the Freedom or C-100 CPAP Battery.

The simple, single component connection provides a clean, efficient voltage conversion allowing you to power your Respironics Dreamstation series device with the Freedom or C-100 kit from Battery Power Solutions.

I dunno what they mean by "voltage conversion"; there is none, unless they mean that with the converter box you can also use a 24V power source to run the 12V Dreamstation.

Anyroad, that Poweradd battery that you mentioned, "MP-UPS002" (Amazon search string "Poweradd ChargerCenter, Compact 185Wh/50000mAh Portable Generator, Power Source (DC 5V/12V/19V)" ... no, it's not a generator, for cryin' out loud), looks good at first glance. Just lose the inverter attachment. One thing you need for camping using a motor vehicle as a base of operations is 12V charging, and I think that's not easy to find in Li-ion power banks. So if the Poweradd has that feature and a relatively high capacity (185 Wh), that's great.

Good luck and have fun. It's a jungle out there.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for that info - a "proprietary signal" - that means they want you to buy only their equipment.

Any other 12v supply that can supply the proper amount of current must be connected through their adapter.

If I weren't a conspiracy theorist I'd think their adapter was meant to also be some sort of protection to prevent damage because of a voltage mismatch. But it's probably just so they can make a few more bucks.

I'm thinking now that I might not get a battery. I think I'll just take an extension cord. This is sort of a "make it up as I go" kind of trip. There are some camping areas with power, some without. I'd be there maybe 2 nights at the most, so I'll probably just do without.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 55 4,878 9 hours ago
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,199 10 hours ago
Last Post: freakyfrog
  [Equipment] Battery power source for ResMed machine MaskedOne 8 167 04-12-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: MaskedOne
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 359,195 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,823 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,890 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Transcend (Somnetics) Micro Power Plug Size SteadyState 6 1,892 03-25-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: johnbrain

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.