Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Nuance replacement Hose
Philips Nuance replacement Hose
OK, so I've been using my Nuance mask for about 9 months. Overall pleased with it, despite some issues. Notably the black lining on the head strap quickly deteriorated and got tacky and would pull my hair out on being removed. Fixed that with a little moleskin.

But now I'm having another issue and it may prompt me to look at another vendor with more reasonable prices for replacement parts. The short hose that extends from the mask is tearing at one of the ferules. No problem, I think. I'll just order a new one. Come to find that the hose is only sold with a replacement swivel tube at a a cost of $40. I don't need a swivel tube, I just need a hose and that's an unreasonable price.

Has anyone found a solution to this (for now I'm going with electric tape)? Or a more satisfying experience with other manufacturers that don't feel the need to gouge on replacement parts?

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Nuance replacement Hose
Cbonilla,
If you have insurance, they will replace your mask every 3 to 6 months. If not, you can buy a complete mask for under $100.00 almost anywhere, even Amazon.
After 9 months of use, you should replace it and keep that one as a spare.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-20-2015, 10:06 AM)OpalRose Wrote: Cbonilla,
If you have insurance, they will replace your mask every 3 to 6 months. If not, you can buy a complete mask for under $100.00 almost anywhere, even Amazon.
After 9 months of use, you should replace it and keep that one as a spare.

I do have insurance, but with a hefty deductible for DME. But we should all be concerned about price gouging. Makes no difference if you're insured or not as it just gets reflected in the price of insurance. It only seems like OPM (Other people's money) when in fact we are all paying for it. More to the point, I'm just offended by this price.

As to replacing it just because it is older, I use my items until they are no longer serviceable, and repair as needed.

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
That back strap of the Nuance has been fixed.

I looked around the 'net and the price is that high (and only a few places sell it) because the swivel is on one end and the frame is on the other. It's not just the hose. Considering that, it's not too high a price.

Your best bet is to get a new mask and keep your current one for parts. Or buy two new ones and keep switching between the two. They'll last much longer.
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I certainly understand about price gouging, as we are all victims of it.

But at some point, your mask or parts won't be repairable. I'm not one to replace something just because it's old, but a worn out mask and headgear will ultimately affect your therapy.
It's always a good thing to have at least one spare.

OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(05-21-2015, 02:07 PM)PaulaO2 Wrote: That back strap of the Nuance has been fixed.

I looked around the 'net and the price is that high (and only a few places sell it) because the swivel is on one end and the frame is on the other. It's not just the hose. Considering that, it's not too high a price.

Your best bet is to get a new mask and keep your current one for parts. Or buy two new ones and keep switching between the two. They'll last much longer.

Yes but the swivel is not a part of the hose, the hose simply fits onto the swivel. I suspect the reason they only sell the two together is that they think it makes it less objectionable to charge $41 for both rather than just for the hose.

It's still price gouging, in my opinion, to bundle a wear item (the hose) with a non-wear item (the swivel) at an exorbitant price.

Yes I can see the virtue in having a spare, but since I have no assurance that the second unit will last any longer I see that as a losing proposition in the long run. For now a dime's worth of tape has me funcitoning again

Carlos
Post Reply Post Reply
As a Nuance Pro user, I've found the hose/swivel have lasted longer than the pro frame, and much longer than the headgear. That being the case, I've found the hose/swivel the least expensive to replace going through eBay -- if you are comfortable buying products there with no insurance involvement.

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
$40 seems very expensive for the short tube. You can get an entire new Nuance mask, complete, for $65 online. Your choice of Gel or non-gel. You can also get the short tube with swivel for $14.99 online. Check the Large South America river site,
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Regular vs Slimline Hose for Airsense 10 Auto IIII 27 7,616 04-12-2024, 02:13 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,940 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Aircurve 10 or 11 replacement Shamus54 8 211 04-11-2024, 09:12 PM
Last Post: SakimaStorm
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,803 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,803 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Can I buy just the Airsense 10 Motor replacement part? JohnReam 33 10,372 03-29-2024, 02:30 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,882 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.