Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Respironics Amara View Leaking?
Philips Respironics Amara View Leaking?
Hi... It's me again with more questions. Gosh, there is a LOT to learn!

Anyway- I am now using the Amara View full-face mask. Seems pretty good and my myair report from Resmed says my leaks have been in the "good" range since I started using it. My husband is saying that late at night when the machine is blowing full force, there's a hurricane coming out of the front of the mask where the small holes are.

I am guessing that the holes are there to let out excess air so that my brains don't blow out my ears- but how much is too much? And does the high velocity outflow mean that I am not getting a therapeutic volume of air?

I really respect the incredible knowledge I've found on this board. Hope I'm not overdoing the questions! Thanks so much for your help!!
Green dog
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Amara View Leaking?
The masks all have an intentional leak rate since the air you breath out must go somewhere or carbon dioxide will build up to dangerous levels. Also if there were no built in leak the air has to go somewhere, and it would lift the mask off your face to get out.
Ed Seedhouse
VA7SDH

Part cow since February 2018.

Trust your mind less and your brain more.

Post Reply Post Reply
You are probably having more events during REM sleep and the machine is boosting pressure then to address them. Higher pressures result in higher volumes of exhaust air. Nothing to worry about.
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the same mask. It is normal to blow out the small holes. The increase in flow is telling you that the machine is doing its job. if your husband is going to keep an eye on you ask if he will look for other signs. As suggested you may be in REM sleep. A spouse that will help is a God sent hero.like

REM sleep is when I get most of my events and when I often become fully awake. If I get two or three REM events a night and can keep sleeping it is a good night.

I am on a new machine now and learning how to adjust it for a better sleep. Sleep-well

Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks so much for all the helpful replies. This is all so new and strange! You are so right, KW- having a spouse who partners with you on this road is truly amazing. I am indeed blessed!
Post Reply Post Reply
One other thing to note is that if the vents are pointed anything (sheets, pillow...whatever), that those jets of air will cause more noise. If it's a combo of getting into a sleep mode where your pressure is higher to prevent events plus the sheet pulled up near the mask, the View can go from a whisper to a roar (my wife uses one and I've tried one...had some experience with the sound).
INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,847 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  How do I reduce mouth leaking? meatheadmd 6 376 Yesterday, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Old Codger
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,620 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,064 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,238 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 380 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  [Diagnosis] ATRIAL FIBRILLATION - CONTRARIAN VIEW? srlevine1 9 355 03-05-2024, 08:35 PM
Last Post: BoxcarPete

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.