Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Odd CPAP experience during juice fast.
Odd CPAP experience during juice fast.
Hi,

I've just begun doing a longer-term juice fast (mostly vegetables), and I'm seeing some odd results with my S9 Autoset. I don't always look at the data, but will tomorrow. The data the machine's been reporting has been low enough that I don't usually bother. My typical night averages an AHI of 1.4. From 0.4 to 2.4 is common.

I've just finished day 4 of my fast; I started on Saturday morning. I've done a number of juice fasts over the years, so I know most of what to expect, and I'm focusing mostly on vegetable juices these days, unlike in the past when I tilted more towards fruit juices.

Saturday night I had the best sleep I've had in weeks if not months, over 8 hours with an AHI of 0.4.

Then Sunday & Monday nights I woke up (external causes) after 6.5 hours of sleep each night, both with an AHI of 8.2.

I've dropped ~10 lbs so far and I seem to be tolerating the fast pretty well overall. Good energy, light exercise, not much in the way of weird fasting sensations. I'm certain that dropping weight will improve the apnea, overall... but this speed bump certainly seems odd.

Has anyone else had odd experiences like this?

Thanks in advance.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Odd CPAP experience during juice fast.
Do you use the software? Either Resmed's or Sleepyhead?
(both can be found here: http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Forum-P...-and-Links )

Using either of those to look at your data would be a good idea. Could be it was a two night fluke. Or could be a slow trend that's been building.

As to why after or during a fast, I haven't much of a clue. Most likely it is coincidence.
Post Reply Post Reply
Yes, I use Resmed's ResScan, thanks. Though I haven't used it recently as the AHI's have been so low for a while and there hasn't been much of a change. I will be looking at it later today.

Last night (night #4 on the fast) was a 2.8 AHI, so maybe the 2 higher AHI nights were a fluke. Not sure yet. Fasting does some odd things to a body as fat melts away and toxins are released back into the bloodstream. Maybe this is one of the odd effects.
Post Reply Post Reply
Well, if you slept deeper, relaxed more than usual, then the airway may have needed more pressure to be kept open. This would have created more apnea events than usual.

Some people have more events after a very long, tiring day (they sleep 'harder') or after becoming inebriated.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 455 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  My Resent Experience: Momsworry 3 155 03-23-2024, 01:49 PM
Last Post: PeaceLoveAndPizza
  Any experience with paradoxical breathing? pezhead99 3 570 11-12-2023, 03:32 PM
Last Post: pezhead99
  AirSense 11 and MyAir App - Poor Experience necochino 29 4,648 08-24-2023, 05:42 PM
Last Post: krsattler
  Somnics iNAP experience after 1 week joshielevy 12 5,546 07-19-2023, 12:08 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  PAP and Cognition (brain fog, memory, focus, etc) - Share your experience! cyrial 0 535 06-04-2023, 02:51 PM
Last Post: cyrial
  Those of you who experience Hypopneas and not Apneas, what were your symptoms and how jz68 5 1,059 04-24-2023, 12:40 PM
Last Post: SuperSleeper

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.