Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Respironics DreamStation Modes & Functions Descriptions
Philips Respironics DreamStation Modes & Functions Descriptions
I have a copy of the Provider manual for my DreamStation (thanks, ApneaBoard!) but it doesn't describe what a lot of the settings do -- it just tells you that you can set this or that, and how to change the setting.

In particular, I'm wondering what the difference is between "C-Check", "CPAP" and "Auto" on my Therapy screen (p. 4 of the Provider manual).  Is there some other provider literature that would tell a doc what these do, or when to choose which?  Is there a complete list of the various settings (it looks like Philips makes a bunch of slightly different versions of the machine, with different things available in the menu)?

Has anyone looked into enabling other features?  Many devices I'm familiar with are software-locked: the hardware is all the same, and they turn off certain features in the cheaper models using software settings.  If you can find the "secret menu," sometimes you can turn those features on.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics DreamStation Modes & Functions Descriptions
A quick search came up with this:

The patient's user's manual says this about C-Check:
"CPAP Check (C-Check) - If available on your device, this mode delivers CPAP therapy while automatically adjusting the pressure level to meet your needs. Pressure adjustments while in CPAP-Check mode are more gradual than those that occur in Auto-Trial mode and the amount of adjustment that can be made over time is limited."

Member, big_dave, posted this back in July 7, 2015:
Quote:There are two versions of the manual. I requested it from Apnea Board while my machine was on order, and received a manual dated 12/01/2011. It does not list the C-Check and A-Trial modes. I received a printed copy dated 5/25/2012 in the box with the machine; it lists the two added modes.

The 5/25/2012 manual also lists an Opti-Start feature which adjusts the starting pressure in Auto mode based on past data. I have Opti-Start enabled, but it hasn't made any adjustments in 2 1/2 months.
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
(08-30-2019, 03:30 AM)spacewrench Wrote: In particular, I'm wondering what the difference is between "C-Check", "CPAP" and "Auto"on my Therapy screen (p. 4 of the Provider manual).  Is there some other provider literature that would tell a doc what these do, or when to choose which?  Is there a complete list of the various settings (it looks like Philips makes a bunch of slightly different versions of the machine, with different things available in the menu)?

Hello spacewrench,
In the Provider Guide (Clinicians Manual), there are descriptions beside each mode and settings available.  

And yes, you are correct that their are a couple different versions of the machine, some having more options than others.

https://www.apneaboard.com/dreamstation-...structions

The link to the complete manual is at the top of page.
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
The newer provider manual doesn't go into as much detail as the older ones did. This is description of the modes as shown in an older manual I have:

Icon
Text
Description
CPAP, C-Check, Auto, Bi-Level, AutoB Mode

This screen displays the therapy mode setting. Depending on the therapy device model, you can select CPAP mode, CPAP-Check (C-Check) mode, Auto-CPAP (Auto) mode, Bi-Level mode, or Auto Bi-Level (AutoB) mode.

Note: CPAP-Check mode (C-Check) delivers CPAP therapy while automatically adjusting the pressure level to meet patient needs over the long term. Every 30 hours of therapy use, the therapy device evaluates patient obstructive respiratory disturbance index (ORDI) and increments pressure ± 1 cm H2O if needed. The range of adjustment that can be made over time is limited to ± 3 cm H2O of the CPAP- Check pressure setting, in 1 cm H2O increments.

Opti-Start
This feature starts an Auto-CPAP therapy session at a starting pressure that is closer to the previous session’s 90% pressure, in order to reduce the likelihood of any residual events at the beginning of a therapy session. You can enable or disable this feature.

Hope this helps.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
That's very helpful, thanks MitchS!  It looks like there are several different manual versions...the 2016 Provider Guide I have (14 pages) just has descriptions screenshotted below: "Depending on the therapy device model, you can select CPAP mode, CPAP-Check (C-Check) mode, Auto-CPAP (Auto) mode."  Some of the other settings have a little info, but "you can select" doesn't really give me much to go on!

Post Reply Post Reply
The one I have is from 8/2015. It is 14 pages with mostly text and smaller graphics than the one that is currently available.
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,963 358,858 04-12-2024, 12:35 PM
Last Post: btreger
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 54 4,796 04-11-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: TimaaaaaaaahRocks
Question Difference between Vauto and S modes PeaceLoveAndPizza 10 1,330 04-02-2024, 04:45 AM
Last Post: baolitoumu
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 184 29,797 04-01-2024, 12:26 PM
Last Post: RayBee
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,878 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 465 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,211 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.