Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Equipment] Successful equipment modification
Successful equipment modification
    On my ResMed N20 I've been annoyed with the air being vented through the nasal cushion. It was noisy,  it dried my eyes out and it interfered with my sleep  positions especially on my stomach.

I found a DIY solution. I inserted a 3/4" tee (copper or plastic) between the two hoses. I connected a spare upper hose to the third branch of the tee. I sealed the other end of the hose with flexible medical tape (I used Hypafix.) but left the vent holes uncovered. I then used tape to seal the vent holes on the original upper hose where it attached to the nasal cushion. Please see the attached photo.

Now, there's no longer ANY air being discharged near my face. The air now gets discharged through the secondary hose. No more dry eyes, no more noise, and I can sleep in any position, even burying my face in my pillow. (My index is under 2.) You would not believe how comfortable it is.

I am curious however if this modification affects oxygen flow.  I am a mechanical engineer and believe that with the tubing diameter, length and flow rate the oxygen and carbon dioxide diffusion should not be affected. I slept with an oxygen pulse oximeter and never went below 98%. I would love to hear your comments on this, especially if you are a professional.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Successful equipment modification
That's really cool but isn't the purpose of the vent holes at the mask to flush out CO2?

With your solution CO2 would need to find it's way back through the tube against incoming flow, or not? I guess it does so to a certain degree but is it enough to prevent built up CO2 above a dangerous level, especially with higher pressure?

Excuse my newbie questions but this is really interesting!

Edit: Ok second thought, this is even cooler ? I would absolutely try it if it's safe.
Post Reply Post Reply
You created a fairly significant dead space between the T and mask. Congrats, you just kludged a new variation of enhanced expiratory rebreathing space (EERS) https://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.ph...ace_(EERS)
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Another variation with good results is using the hose connector piece from a F30i mask between the heated hose and the N20 hose. It moves the exhaust port right up by the heated hose. And then block off the exhaust holes by the mask. I found the results so good that I quit taping my mouth shut, after two years of taping my mouth. It really helped.
Post Reply Post Reply
Some of these mask exhausts ports are so small it’s hard for me to believe that they actually work.
Especially during the short exhale time vs the positive air pressure in the same area.
Post Reply Post Reply
As I stated it's my engineering "judgement" that the size of the tube, flow rate and pressure would allow for enough diffusion and mixing to prevent this.  That is why, as a simple test, I used the oxygen pulse oximeter to assure that I was getting enough oxygen. It surely would be nice if I could get a proper sleep study done using this.
Post Reply Post Reply
It is, simply put, CO2, specifically the need to remove CO2 and other respiration byproducts that provide our drive to breathe. EERS systems are designed to increase our CO2 levels slightly. This type of system will prevent some types of central apneas and prevent O2 Dips from that cause,
Post Reply Post Reply
I made a EERS with about a 6-8 inch length tube, I used it for two nights and that was enough for me.  I felt like I was slowly suffocating.  
I am not an expert...just a long time user.
Post Reply Post Reply
tcurran, I was not criticizing your design and implementation. I meant to point out we intentionally increase dead-air space for individuals that need a little more CO2 to stabilize respiration. Read the EERS wiki and you will see a number of members have experimented with this. Since you used good engineering judgement to endure a good design, you will find the EERS lets you calculate the rebreathing space.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Medicare and Sleep Apnea Equipment chzuck 12 229 04-10-2024, 01:47 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
Gross [Treatment] Successful Treatment... Still Significant Struggle TiredTim 0 145 03-27-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: TiredTim
  [Equipment] Best place to buy cpap equipment in Dubai or UAE Foxhunt 6 584 02-14-2024, 11:45 PM
Last Post: Macka
  [Equipment] Beginner Must Have Equipment/Supplies PoutinePrincess 7 435 02-07-2024, 03:10 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  P10 modification advice - where are the hole pokers at? her.suit 5 444 01-15-2024, 01:26 AM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  hammer44 - ASV Therapy Equipment Question hammer44 11 643 01-01-2024, 01:47 AM
Last Post: SarcasticDave94
  [CPAP] CPAP Equipment Selection mgonthier 1 354 09-13-2023, 06:33 PM
Last Post: Gideon

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.