Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Respironics Nuance Mask Headgear Alternative
Question 
Philips Respironics Nuance Mask Headgear Alternative
Hi all. After lurking a bit, I decided to join.

A year ago, I had to change my CPAP machine to the Philips Respironics. I go through my Nuance mask headgear about every month-and-a-half to two months. These things are just not durable since I sweat a lot and my head is oily. Insurance will only replace them every six months.

Is there an alternative or has anyone made a mask out of actual material that isn't rubber and going to degrade/stick to my skin? It would be worth it to pay for something that is actually machine or hand washable that would last a year or so.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics Nuance Mask Headgear Alternative
Hi supersleepyhead,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for suggestions and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The velcro is wearing out with mine after just two months, and I also would be curious on alternatives if anyone has thoughts on this. I'm thinking it might be because I remove the headgear from the pro frame every day to wash the short tube and frame -- then re-adjust every night.
Post Reply Post Reply
I've been babying the velcro this time -- and hoping that helps. I am trying to return the velcro to the same position after I remove the headgear for cleaning the frame and short tube.

I'm wondering that as a new user I was making too many adjustments -- and am trying not to readjust it so much. I'm also making some adjustments by altering the position of the back strap of the headgear which seems to make a difference.

Hoping to find my issues were more "user error"

"Take it as it comes, specialize in having fun"
-- Jim Morrison
Post Reply Post Reply
I use the Nuance Pro and have found it to work the best out of all I tried.

The problem I have is the gel pads fall out after a while. Rather than paying $180.00 for a new mask ,I just by the replacement parts I need at a much lower cost than a new mask.

I needed a new frame last week,gel pad fell out, and was able to purchase a new one @ $60.00 rather than the $180.00

I thought that things here in Ontario, Canada would get better and cheaper when you became a verified Senior. Guess not!

Coffee
Post Reply Post Reply
$180 for the Nuance Pro gel nasal pillow??? Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive.
Post Reply Post Reply
Move to the Resmed masks, particularly the P10 or F10, they will do you better, methinks. And are perfectly compatible with the PSR machines.
Post Reply Post Reply
I have the same headgear from 6 mos ago and still going. Non pro. I don't wash mine very often even though I have oily hair. I just found most headgear lasts longer if I don't. When I do wash it, I squeeze it out in a towel many times then hang to dry. The weakest part is that velcro, though. They made it very thin so it has minimal contact to the cheek but it has no grip. When they improved the back strap finally (they finally made it not so gross and sticky), they also fixed that velcro a little but not much.

If you are paying $180 for that mask, you are being cheated horribly. You can almost get two for that.

For example, Supplier #26 has the entire Pro version for $109. You can get just the headgear for $36 (but pro does not include gel insert bit).

PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
I've tried to like the Nuance Pro, but after two trial periods, I found the headgear material just didn't hold up much longer than three months. In addition, the pillows did not stay put as well as with the AirFit P10 and F&P Opus. I'm amazed at how well the P10 headgear holds up. I'm on the equivalent of 6+ months on it, and the headgear has still retained it's original size and condition. The F&P Opus has also help up well so far, although I've only got about five weeks on it. (I've been alternating between the two since March 1). Both of these are now my "go to": masks.
Post Reply Post Reply
The Pro with the gel pads is, in my opinion, a silly idea. And not implemented well. It was too hot against my skin and the pads pop out too easily from the frame. However, I do like using the cloth version.

Each mask has its strengths and weaknesses. They have yet to invent a perfect mask that has a perfect headgear. The P10 with the diffused vent is a good idea but they failed on the headgear and the pillow sizing. Close but not quite. But they will never be able to come up with a "one mask for everyone" because it just is not possible. Not only is each face different, but so is our tolerance level. Some people are perfectly content modifying their headgear because they enjoy the mask. Or wearing a chin strap because they don't want to wear a FFM. Or whatever.

If anyone feels strongly about a positive or negative experience with a mask or whatever in regards to their CPAP life, feel free to review it!

how to do a mask review http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...orum--5546
but before you do http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...-YOU-START
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,824 Yesterday, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,612 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,048 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,072 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 373 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  Alternative Therapy to CPAP (Nasal Breathing) Wcwilson 1 148 03-07-2024, 04:02 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,122 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.