Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips Respironics System One PRS1 Heated Tube Upgrade Kit for Humidifier Series 60
RE: Philips Respironics System One PRS1 Heated Tube Upgrade Kit for Humidifier Series 60
(12-28-2014, 05:21 PM)DocWils Wrote: We had our first snow today and temperature is to drop down to -11 C tonight, so I will try heating my hose as the bedroom is bound to cool down, since they turn the heat off late at night. Settings 3 for humidity (since I normally use setting 4 on non heated hose mode for the humidity, and this is closest, I warrant) and 2 for hose heat - let's see how it goes......

Do tell.

(12-28-2014, 05:27 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Still waiting to hear back on my end bout Medicare coverage. Am getting tired of waiting, but $75 bucks is a chunk in my book, that I'd rather not pay if I don't have to. I've gone back to 'classic" (with rain-out) to stop my nose bleeds...

Was going to message and ask how my info worked out for you. Was curious.

If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips Respironics System One PRS1 Heated Tube Upgrade Kit for Humidifier Series 60
Well, one live call, and two voicemails last week, and no reply as of this writing. Will continue to bug them next week. I am about to rattle some cages as I am feeling ignored at this point.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-28-2014, 10:24 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Well, one live call, and two voicemails last week, and no reply as of this writing. Will continue to bug them next week. I am about to rattle some cages as I am feeling ignored at this point.

Medicare paid for mine but I had the DME order it with the heated hose installed and ready to rock so it came with the machine. And they pay the usual 80 percent for replacement heated hoses on schedule.

If your having nosebleeds with the system one mode " I never did but with the heated hose you can get full 90 percent humidity at the mask where System one mode only senses humidity at the machine output" I would think your GP could write a script for the heated hose as a med necessity because of the higher humidity possible with it and your nose bleeds affecting your therapy adversely. That should get medicare to pay for it.

Post Reply Post Reply
So, so far so good - setting 3 and 2 respectively seemed very nice, comfortable, not much throat or nasal irritation. Used a good half a tank on 5.5 hours sleep (I never seem to often sleep more than that and wake automatically after 5 hours, then sort of lie there for a bit longer (a hold over of my internship hell or my army hell, not sure which). Better than expected given that when I first got the heated hose and tried it I ended up the next day with a massive throat infection (which was probably incubating for a while and brought out by the heat and humidity).
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2014, 12:26 AM)Ghost1958 Wrote:
(12-28-2014, 10:24 PM)Peter_C Wrote: Well, one live call, and two voicemails last week, and no reply as of this writing. Will continue to bug them next week. I am about to rattle some cages as I am feeling ignored at this point.

Medicare paid for mine but I had the DME order it with the heated hose installed and ready to rock so it came with the machine. And they pay the usual 80 percent for replacement heated hoses on schedule.

If your having nosebleeds with the system one mode " I never did but with the heated hose you can get full 90 percent humidity at the mask where System one mode only senses humidity at the machine output" I would think your GP could write a script for the heated hose as a med necessity because of the higher humidity possible with it and your nose bleeds affecting your therapy adversely. That should get medicare to pay for it.

Even though I got a script from my sleep doc with the exact name of the 'kit', I was flat out told today that Medicare (with Medicaid backup) would NOT pay for it period.

As life is too short, I just ordered it from Supplier #1 for $70.75 (inc shipping). I get too mad and it's not worth the stress, so I am done.

On the 'classic' setting, '5' gives me rain-out, and '4' does not, but does make the inside of my mask damp. With system one mode at '5' I had a total of six bloody nose issues (one waking me due to the flow). I am sure that with the heated hose all will be well for me.

FYI? I never had a heated hose with my Resmed machines, nor got bloody noses, only had sneezing fits if I ran out of water (my fault). Oh, and I have never, ever turned a Resmed machine all the way to the max either. I like my System One, but I feel that this is an area that Resmed does better.
*I* am not a DOCTOR or any type of Health Care Professional.  My thoughts/suggestions/ideas are strictly only my opinions.

"Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you. Jesus Christ and the American Soldier. One died for your Soul, the other for your Freedom."
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2014, 02:36 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I never had a heated hose with my Resmed machines, nor got bloody noses, only had sneezing fits if I ran out of water (my fault). Oh, and I have never, ever turned a Resmed machine all the way to the max either. I like my System One, but I feel that this is an area that Resmed does better.

Yes, perhaps, but your previous machines (ResMed) were not ASV, and your new PRS1 machine is ASV, so another possibity is that ASV therapy simply makes stronger demands on the humidifier.

This may be the case because ASV therapy requires higher pressures to work, causing higher airflows, requiring higher rates of humidification, making it harder for the humidifier to keep up.
The Advisory Member group provides advice and suggestions to Apnea Board administrators and staff on matters concerning Apnea Board operation and administrative policies.  Membership in the Advisory Member group should not be understood as in any way implying medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(12-29-2014, 02:58 PM)vsheline Wrote:
(12-29-2014, 02:36 PM)Peter_C Wrote: I never had a heated hose with my Resmed machines, nor got bloody noses, only had sneezing fits if I ran out of water (my fault). Oh, and I have never, ever turned a Resmed machine all the way to the max either. I like my System One, but I feel that this is an area that Resmed does better.

Yes, perhaps, but your previous machines (ResMed) were not ASV, and your new PRS1 machine is ASV, so another possibity is that ASV therapy simply makes stronger demands on the humidifier.

This may be the case because ASV therapy requires higher pressures to work, causing higher airflows, requiring higher rates of humidification, making it harder for the humidifier to keep up.

Actually, that may well be a very good point~! As I have noticed over the years that not just the humidity in the bedroom, and the number of hours slept, but also leak rate and how high the pressure is (it's varied over the years). As this *is* my first ASV machine, I am not actually comparing apples to apples.

But other than the humidity issue, I am loving the machine, and the consistent low AHI. Even woke on my own today with under nine hours of sleep (now to make that a habit).

Post Reply Post Reply
Yep higher leak rate, higher pressure causing higher vent rates on the mask etc will for sure up the water usage. Get a high enough leak and the air isnt near the humidifier long enough to pick up much humidity.

But the heated hose should end your troubles. With the sensor at the mask end it reads the humidity at the mask so you actually can get a full 90 percent humidity in the mask itself. If you want that much. Assuming no leaks so big or vent rates so huge the air is moving to fast to pick up the moisture which likely wont happen much at all.

Just a heads up. When you wash the hose dont immerse the end that has the little power plug on it or let water get in the little plug. I just hold my thumb over it. If by chance you would let the little plug get wet let it dry before you plug it back into the machine.Sleep-well
Post Reply Post Reply
You mean I can't run it through the washer machine???

I expect life to be fine with both warm and humidified air. While I have no regular 'large leaks', I do know that I flunk roughly 10-11% of the time, and the machine forces me to breathe and if I don't get the hint fast enough, it can pop my ears...

Post Reply Post Reply
(12-30-2014, 01:04 AM)Peter_C Wrote: You mean I can't run it through the washer machine???

You can run it through the dishwasher, of course you can, you can run it over with your bicycle too, but it's gonna cost you $75 Laugh-a-lot
If everyone thinks alike, then someone isn't thinking.
Everyone knows something, together we could know everything.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 56 4,983 Yesterday, 02:51 PM
Last Post: btreger
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,964 359,674 Yesterday, 02:17 PM
Last Post: btreger
  Persistent micro arousals? first few days on ResMed after switch from Philips. manders513 10 1,221 04-17-2024, 01:14 PM
Last Post: freakyfrog
  Do you take out the Tube Outlet Connector in the Airsense 11 to clean? dharma2255 7 187 04-16-2024, 10:03 AM
Last Post: dharma2255
  [Equipment] Bag for Aircurve 10 without humidifier? melbell 2 112 04-15-2024, 09:09 AM
Last Post: MrIvanDrago
  Tube Temp and Humidity Setting To Avoid Rainout tomkelly 10 279 04-11-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: tomkelly
  Cleaning the Airsense machine itself (not the mask, tube, chamber)? dharma2255 3 160 04-10-2024, 10:47 AM
Last Post: dharma2255

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.