Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips machine failed within 4 years. Is this normal?
Question 
Philips machine failed within 4 years. Is this normal?
I tried to find posts about this, and the only one I found was complaining about ResMed. I have been using a Philips Respironics BiPap since like 2016, and it finally hit the fan this year. I've posted about that, but when I did get back to my doctor I asked him if that was normal and he said they generally do get replaced every 4-5 years so he did not seem surprised (he also said he was not a fan of the particular machine I was given). 

And then I saw that post about ResMed when I searched, so I was wondering for the people who have been on the therapy for over 5 years, does your machine usually break at that point?  I am just wondering if it's normal for them to stop working and expected that we will replace them every 4-5 years. 
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips machine failed within 4 years. Is this normal?
I have over 17000 hours on a Resmed Aircurve 10 Vauto after over 5 years. It still runs as expected, but is closing in on replacement. Standard warranty on the Resmed is 2-years, and most DMEs warrant for the life of the machine due to insurance and Medicare requirements. The reliability of the Resmed has been very good from what I have seen, however there were a number of machines that had bad pneumatic blocks (fans) that developed noise. Nearly all of those were replaced under warranty. Other failures are nearly non-existent. The Resmed implementation if both auto CPAP and VPAP auto is considerably superior to Philips for a number of reasons. Resmed is preventive of events, while Philips tends to be reactive. The deliver of pressure changes from IPAP to EPAP is much smoother thanks to Easybreathe™ which is far more comfortable than the comparatively square-wave pressure of Philips. Finally, only the Resmed gives you the ability to make fine adjustments to trigger and cycle sensitivity and time of inspiration (IPAP). Mostly it just runs seamlessly, but the adjustments are useful in some cases.

I'm aware of both Philips and Resmed machines that are mechanically sound up to 25000 hours, but there is no doubt that they all need updated and replaced eventually. 5-years is considered standard.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Technology, probability, power surges, and time all conspire against you. Pretty much why the manufacturer's MTBF (Mean Time Before Failure) is only an indication under most circumstances, not a guarantee. Or as they say, IT happens.
"The object in life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane." -- Marcus Aurelius
Post Reply Post Reply
My Resmed s10 is 5 years yesterday and still going strong. I will look to replace it any day now just to be safe.
CPAP is a journey like “The Wizard of Oz”. It’s a long slow journey. You will face many problems and pick up many friends along the way. Just because you reach the poppies, it doesn’t mean you are in Kansas. 
Post Reply Post Reply
Hrs on the machine is more accurate possibly because some folks sleep longer hrs than others and pressures that the machine is under are also determining factors IMO. I'm on my 2nd Resmed Autoset 10 and the 1st machine is my backup machine and was working fine with approx 5 years on it.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 48 3,855 03-27-2024, 04:49 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  Which is the most normal waveform? SingleH 9 212 03-26-2024, 12:40 PM
Last Post: G. Szabo
  Foam Removal - Philips System One peewee44 47 10,622 03-26-2024, 05:46 AM
Last Post: jojopuppyfish
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,074 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  New user - is my experience normal? SleeplessGrouch 3 420 03-23-2024, 03:02 PM
Last Post: ButtonNoseBarbie
  New sleep study after 17 years? Jim1952 2 120 03-21-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: Jim1952
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,961 352,326 03-20-2024, 02:21 PM
Last Post: btreger

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.