Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Old Newbie with questions
Old Newbie with questions
Hi,

I was diagnosed with severe OSA quite a while ago, and about 10 years ago I bought a ResMed VPAP III machine. I had a very hard time with the mask and about a year later got a Mirage Quattro full face mask. I really struggled with the mask, but not consciously - I would just wake up in the morning with the mask off.

Way before this diagnosis, I had insomina much of my life. No problem falling asleep, but after a couple of hours I wake up and can't get back to sleep.

I have recently tried to get back on the machine and am having some problems:

1. the seal up around the sides of my nose leak to the extent that air sometimes blows into my eyes. I once woke up with a dry spot on my eyeball (I took a pill - see below) that took quite some time to get back to normal. What's the best thing to put on the mask to help seal it around there? Vaseline? Although less important, my cheeks also often have flaky skin in the morning where the mask rubs against them.

2. I have requested an email manual for my cpap, but with its age I have begun to wonder if there is any maintenance needed beyond cleaning the humidifier and air inlet filter. Not sure if it records any data or not, or if the Sleepyhead software will be of any use with it - I just found out about it.

3. I've told my doctor about my problems with it (I recently switched doctors) and he gave me a prescription for Trazadone, which works, but I would like to not have to use it. I've also ordered a copy of a book he recommended to help with better sleep hygiene. Anyone found Trazadone to be a problem, other than sleeping through dry eyeballs?

4. Anyone using a pulse oximeter that records a "low water mark" for the O2 level during the night, or doing any other similar monitoring for that matter?

I am hoping that when I get the manual I can figure out what the machine is saying.

I am new to this board, so if there are other resources I should be using, please don't assume I know of them!

Thanks in advance,

Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Old Newbie with questions
You may have to try some different masks to get one that works for you. I'm going through that same exercise right now myself.

I recorded my o2 levels a couple of nights, using a CMS50D+. The results can be viewed by the software that comes with the oximeter, or you can import the results into a program called SleepyHead (used by many people on here).
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi revwarguy,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
I'm not familiar with your machine as to weather you can use SleepyHead but someone will know the answer to that question.
You might have to try other masks to see if you can find one that will be better suited for you.
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you re-start your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
The eye leak problem would be enough to keep anyone awake. I think it's time to try other masks. I had leak problems with the Mirage Quattro also, and I could not get it to work for me. Are you able to use a nasal mask or nasal pillows? They are both easier to adjust than a full face mask.

The VPAP III is an S7-series machine, which is 3 generations out of date. You will probably find that a newer machine works better for you. The VPAP III does record detailed data, but it will be difficult to download. You will need a null modem cable to connect the machine to your computer and an old version of ResScan. Sleepyhead and the current version of ResScan do not support it.
Post Reply Post Reply
If your machine is really old - and in this case 10 years is really old - you need to get a script for a newer machine, which probably will entail a new sleep study. Also, masks do break down after a while. How old is your full face mask? Depending on your health insurance, I believe you should be getting a new mask every 3 to 6 months: other FFM users can advise you on this.

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. 
ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.
Post Reply Post Reply
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-28-2015, 08:51 AM)revwarguy Wrote:
(04-27-2015, 10:43 PM)trish6hundred Wrote: WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you re-start your CPAP therapy.

Thanks so much for the responses!

I ordered the CMD50D pulse oximeter mentioned above - I looked into them several years ago but they were too expensive, so now for $20 it sounds like a deal. Any body have any advice how I can keep it on my finger all night long?

I also now have both the Clinician's and the Maintenance manuals for my unit - interesting reading. I believe from a quick glance that the machine does do data logging, and there is a 9 pin d type connector on the back (two of them, actually) and an option for it called a null modem cable (which says to me 9 pins wired straight through that plugs into a computer serial port) Is this an RS-232 type interface, or a straight logic level 5 volt type? - the manual doesn't say but I presume it's meant to plug directly into a computer COM port. Anyone know how I can get an old version of ResScan?

I have a compound deviated septum, which means I breathe through my mouth, so a FFM is about the only option. I gather that if the mask is irritating my skin or leaking, then my only option is a different mask?

This website and forum is a real help to me, thanks so much!

Post Reply Post Reply
You don't want to use Vaseline or any other petroleum products under the silicone of the mask, it will cause it to degrade faster and then it will be leak city. I would start looking for a newer machine if you can and keep the old one as backup. I've had some trouble with the Quattro as well, and would find that it would blast my eyes too. Best of luck with your therapy!
Post Reply Post Reply
interesting tidbit about leaking mask blowing light wind against eyeballs -

When you place light cloth strip between the mask and your face in the nose bridge and adjacent area, you would expect the leakage to go up and eyes to get drier. I found that using the cloth strip, minimal difference in leakage, but SUBSTANTIAL REDUCTION of air flow rate against eyeballs.

cloth passages slow down the already present leakage so you won't even be able to detect a breeze.

what you may detect instead - a cooling sensation in that area. that may have it's own soothing or therapeutic value.

QAL

by the way - do not let the drying eyeballs thing continue. that can lead to serious conditions.
Dedicated to QALity sleep.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Juniper's questions juniper 5 78 5 hours ago
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Help Lowering a Varying AHI for a Newbie rtkierke 5 95 03-17-2024, 09:51 PM
Last Post: HalfAsleep
  Newbie kindly asking for OSCAR analysis ash630 1 120 03-13-2024, 11:16 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] [NEWBIE] I cannot sleep with CPAP colethegamer 11 441 03-06-2024, 10:58 AM
Last Post: colethegamer
  Newbie with extreme swallowing air Burrells5 3 238 02-28-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: robbob2112
  Newbie - Can't seem to Fall Asleep with Apap on JoniBean 4 269 02-27-2024, 12:13 AM
Last Post: TechieHippie
  New - so many questions Matsu1 4 230 02-25-2024, 10:53 PM
Last Post: Crimson Nape

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.