Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Philips or Resmed?
Philips or Resmed?
Dear all,

I was recently diagnosed with chronic osa. I had the worst sleep ever when I did my sleep study ($255) but was advised the results were still clinically valid. AI was 45.7/hr, Ahi 38.8/hr, supine rem resp 54.3/hr. My GP said my licence could be at risk so I did the cpap trial ($380). This was two weeks in auto mode on a Philips remstar auto a-flex, ahi went down to 2.4. Next two weeks was constant pressure at 6.5 with ramp initially set at 4. I ended up changing ramp to 5 as found it difficult to breathe at 4. Ahi came down to 1.7. Then came the shock! $2498 for Resmed 10 auto, without mask! I have hbf so I think they will pay $740 but that is still way beyond my means. I can get the Philips auto for $1740 with humidifier and any mask and the local chemist can do Resmed auto 10 for $2200 but still have to buy the mask. So my question is, what would you do? I have a 10 pack of provent that I was hoping would keep me going while I work out what to do but it's not the same (tore them off after an hour) and I'm already feeling like crap again. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Philips or Resmed?
Anything used on Craig's List? Pick up something for $500..

If cash is the issue get the cheaper one.
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 06:38 AM)Sotakethepressuredown Wrote: Dear all,

I was recently diagnosed with chronic osa. I had the worst sleep ever when I did my sleep study ($255) but was advised the results were still clinically valid. AI was 45.7/hr, Ahi 38.8/hr, supine rem resp 54.3/hr. My GP said my licence could be at risk so I did the cpap trial ($380). This was two weeks in auto mode on a Philips remstar auto a-flex, ahi went down to 2.4. Next two weeks was constant pressure at 6.5 with ramp initially set at 4. I ended up changing ramp to 5 as found it difficult to breathe at 4. Ahi came down to 1.7. Then came the shock! $2498 for Resmed 10 auto, without mask! I have hbf so I think they will pay $740 but that is still way beyond my means. I can get the Philips auto for $1740 with humidifier and any mask and the local chemist can do Resmed auto 10 for $2200 but still have to buy the mask. So my question is, what would you do? I have a 10 pack of provent that I was hoping would keep me going while I work out what to do but it's not the same (tore them off after an hour) and I'm already feeling like crap again. Any suggestions or help would be much appreciated.

Welcome to the Board,
Have you tried any of the U.S. Online suppliers from the Supplier List at top of the page? It may be cheaper if you are buying outright. Also, Supplier #2 sells gently used or new open box units.
In the meantime, until you get your machine, there are some things you can do...like avoid sleeping on your back, also sleep elevated a bit if you can.
Good luck!
OpalRose
Apnea Board Administrator
www.apneaboard.com

Soft Cervical Collar
Optimizing therapy
OSCAR supported machines
Mask Primer

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE.  ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA.  INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Here is a used Philips auto for $1000:
link removed
You need to get a current model that gives you detailed reporting on how you are doing.
There is a lot of info at this site.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----
Post Reply Post Reply
G'day Sotakethepressuredown, welcome to the forum. Both the Resmed and Philips are great machines - it's a bit like Ford or Holden really. In your situation I'd seriously consider OpalRose's advice and check out the American dealers. There's a link to a list at the top of each page on this forum. You will probably not get a refund from HBF but the American prices are so low that you will still come out ahead.

It's a disgusting situation, especially considering the Resmeds are made here in Australia and you can get them OS for half the local price.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi Sotakethepressuredown,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Check out this link for which machines to buy and which machines to avoid: http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ne_Choices .
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you start your CPAP journey, good luck on your machine decision.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
If you're on HBF ancillaries you should get the sleep test and at least part of the trial covered. In fact you might find the sleep test is covered by Medicare. Worth checking out.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you so much for the advice and tips. I checked out the supplier list and I think I will go that way. I'm surprised any get sold locally given the price differential!
Post Reply Post Reply
(04-13-2015, 07:58 AM)player Wrote: Here is a used Philips auto for $1000:
link removed
You need to get a current model that gives you detailed reporting on how you are doing.
There is a lot of info at this site.

-----
Moderator Action: Link Removed
To maintain our status as an educational organization, the only commercial links allowed in this forum are to CPAP-related manufacturer websites. This is stated in the Apnea Board Rules with details given in the Commercial Links Policy section.
-----

I had Googled used CPAP machines Australia and came up with a number of good links last night, but as you see they are not allowed here, which I totally understand. There are lots of deals on used ones, so if you don't want to shell out $2K for one, try the search I did and go from there.

Post Reply Post Reply
What's aHolden?

I don't put any faith in a Ford .....

OMMOHY

(04-13-2015, 08:04 AM)DeepBreathing Wrote: G'day Sotakethepressuredown, welcome to the forum. Both the Resmed and Philips are great machines - it's a bit like Ford or Holden really. In your situation I'd seriously consider OpalRose's advice and check out the American dealers. There's a link to a list at the top of each page on this forum. You will probably not get a refund from HBF but the American prices are so low that you will still come out ahead.

It's a disgusting situation, especially considering the Resmeds are made here in Australia and you can get them OS for half the local price.

Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Discontinues Numerous Devices and Halts Dreamstation Sales in the U.S. WakeUpTime 40 3,219 10 hours ago
Last Post: Sleeprider
Exclaimation [News] RECALL THREAD-- IMPORTANT PHILIPS DREAMSTATION & SYSTEM ONE USERS Sleeprider 2,959 348,922 Yesterday, 02:02 PM
Last Post: Tampa Jim
  Is my Philips Remstar Pro System One working? alanbc 11 318 03-13-2024, 11:41 AM
Last Post: alanbc
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,814 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Where to send my philips REPLACEMENT machine Rice95 7 1,070 02-29-2024, 01:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  [CPAP] Philips SD Card Format Question Crimson Nape 1 225 02-16-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: Crimson Nape
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 754 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.