Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Phillips Auto Bipap vs. Aircurve 10 Vauto?
Phillips Auto Bipap vs. Aircurve 10 Vauto?
Hi everybody,

I recently posted a thread about a used Aircurve ASV machine vs. an Aircurve Vauto.  The comments there convinced me to hold off a bit on the used machine, mostly as I'm not able to inspect it locally.  That means I am down to picking out my BiPAP machine, which my doctor has just prescribed for my newly-diagnosed OSA.

The two I am looking at are the Aircurve Vauto 

and the Phillips PR System One REMStar 60 Series BiPAP Auto with Bluetooth and Heated Tube  Humidifier.

I see the Phillips is almost $600 less than the Aircurve Vauto at the moment on a popular Cpap website.  Through reading this forum, I have also determined that the Phillips will adjust both Ipap and Epap independently in Auto mode, whereas the Aircurve forces you to set them relative to each other (PS setting) only.  Additionally, the Phillips reports RERAS, whereas the Aircurve does not.  I assume both are compatible with Sleepyhead, but I'm not positive on advantages there.

Considering price point and the two features I list above, is there any reason, in your opinion, to go with the Aircurve Vauto over this model Phillips?  Humidification?  Reporting to doctor?  Anything?  Not sleeping well is a huge hit to one's life, as I know you are all aware, and I want to do my best to get this right the first time.  So if there are good reasons to choose the more expensive Aircurve that will not be a problem.

Thank you.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Phillips Auto Bipap vs. Aircurve 10 Vauto?
To be perfectly honest, if this is an out-of-pocket purchase, there is nothing in the Resmed AirCurve 10 VPAP Auto that warrants paying an extra $600 over the PR System One BiPAP Auto.

The auto algorithms are a bit different.  I personally like the fact that the PR machines increase IPAP and EPAP separately.  Others prefer the fact that the Resmed is a bit more aggressive in reacting to events.

Both machines are fully compatible with SleepyHead. Both machines are common enough bilevels from the two big companies. Hence sleep docs should have no trouble pulling the data off either machine's SD card. Or you can download the official software and print out the data for the sleep doc yourself. (That's what I do.)
Questions about SleepyHead?  
See my Guide to SleepyHead
Post Reply Post Reply
you will be able to get either one working for you, You tighten in on the pressure that works for you, instead of leaving the settings wide open. I'd also check amazon, there were some cheap bipaps going there.
I use a manual BPAP and find that an auto isn't needed. If you want to save more money. You can titrate the manual fine and the forum will help. The secondhand market is well worth looking at. I have 4 machines and just got my 5th and all were second hand. (I'm collecting them like stamps. LOL)
mask fit http://www.apneaboard.com/wiki/index.php...ask_Primer
For auto-cpap, from machine data or software. You can set the min pressure 1 or 2cm below 95%. Or clinicians commonly use the maximum or 95% pressure for fixed pressure CPAP, this can also be used for min pressure.
https://aasm.org/resources/practiceparam...rating.pdf
Post Reply Post Reply
I have both, and the comfort and effectiveness is not noticeably different. The variable pressure support on Philips works nicely if hypopnea is part of your profile, while the Resmed seems a bit faster to increase pressure and slower to decrease pressure for obstructive events. Working with the settings, there will be no difference once you dial in each machine for its response.

Take a look on Amazon for the Dreamsation BiPAP Auto DSX700T11. Might save some money.
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Thank you guys for your comments, as always they are very helpful to newcomers like myself.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Rant and AirCurve 10 vs AirCurve 11 question Whacked 11 298 03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Sleepster
  Rate my Resmed 10 VAuto deal from FB GrandCentral 18 858 03-23-2024, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 128 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Treatment] Johnny O's ResMed AirCurve 10 VAuto for severe sleep apnea (61 AHI) and OSA, CSA JohnnyO 23 563 03-21-2024, 05:02 PM
Last Post: JohnnyO
  Plmnb's New Therapy ResMed AirCurve 10 ST-A Plmnb 204 8,511 03-19-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: Plmnb
  Trouble adapting to ResMed AirCurve 10 ASV JanetW 6 207 03-19-2024, 01:58 AM
Last Post: stevew168
  New Bi Level AC/11 VAUTO skcampbell2 19 465 03-18-2024, 02:27 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.