Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

[Product Review] Phillips-Respironics DreamWear
RE: Phillips-Respironics DreamWear
Great review! Thanks! And you used the stars!
PaulaO

Take a deep breath and count to zen.

Post Reply Post Reply
Respironics Dreamwear Nasal Mask is a Dream for Me
I just wanted to throw out a recommendation for the Phillips Respironics DreamWear mask. I've been a CPAP user for 5 years now and previously the only mask that I could get to work for me was a Resmed Mirage Softgel mask and even with that mask I needed use a mask pad from PadACheek to minimize my leakage. Earlier this year I tried the Resmed N20 thinking that a newer technology mask would be better but it leaked like crazy as I'm an active sleeper that moves all night long. Before Christmas I was able to get a new mask for free so my provider suggested the Dreamwear mask. Looking at the mask at first glance I thought that there wasn't a prayer that this mask would be better but I was amazed at how well it is working for me. The mask is made out of soft, flexible tubing with a removable nose piece and the connector for the air tube on top of your head. This may sound weird but with the air connector on top you can lay your air hose behind your pillow so it's totally out of the way. When you have your machine on, air flows from the top down the flexible, flat tubing on either side of your face and the air pressure inflated the thin flexible materials of the nose piece to the point where it creates a tight seal right under your nostrils. For an active sleeper like myself If I roll onto either side the flexible tubing on that side does collapse but the air is still flowing down the tube on the other side so you never lose pressure. My worst fear is that the mask would not be tight enough or slip when I roll from my back to my side but for me this has not been the case as the seal of the nose piece to my skin has very tight. In addition to the fit of the mask in general I REALLY like how light this mask is on my face, the open face design as I can now read a book or watch TV with the mask on since there's no interfering nose bridge that blocks my view. No mask lines in the morning either. Besides the fit and design I can report that my AHI is about 3.1 which is slightly lower than with my softgel and my pressure readings and mask leak rated are all down in comparison to my Softgel.

All of the above being said I understand that fitting a mask is not an easy task and no one mask can work for everyone but for me this mask is great. In addition the only difference between the Dreamwear nasal mask and the Dreamwear nasal pillow mask is the interchangeable nose piece and my provider said that if I want to switch to pillows all I need to get is the pillow nose piece instead of the nasal piece. In addition, Respironics also makes a Dreamwear full face mask for mouth breathers. So, if you're having trouble with your mask leaking and/or you just want to try something different, I highly recommend the DreamWear nasal mask.
Post Reply Post Reply
(06-11-2018, 11:21 AM)gregger Wrote: ...Got my Gel Pillows yesterday and tried them out last night. The fit was fine but noise from the air vent (slot at front of mask) was very distracting. I don't mind the frame tube noise, but this ...  How to describe it... a Burble? Bubble? Crackle? Sputter? I thought since I had just washed it that maybe water droplets were causing noise...  

[I am posting these comments elsewhere in a Main Board thread about my mask trials to see if others have comments. FYI and thanks.]

This is exactly what mine sounded like!  Crackle/sputter.  Pinching and playing with the vent made it go away.  I ended up ordering the gel pillows in small.  In my case the mediums were too large for my nasal opening and caused the crackle/sputter noise.  The small size works perfectly.
Post Reply Post Reply

I just got the Dreamwear Gel Pillows and I really like it.

Granted, I haven't experienced a lot of masks because I just started my CPAP journey, but this is by far the best mask I've ever tried. My first mask was the respironics comfort blue gel (came with the machine) and that mask was fine and I still keep it as my spare.  I experimented by buying a full face mask (comfort blue gel) and Apex Wizard 220  but I just couldn't get those masks to work for me. I couldn't stop the leaks and the sound of rushing air was so loud that it annoyed me. 

Pros:
1. Modular system. I like the fact that the frame and headgear can be used for the dreamwear nasal as well as with the dreamwear full face mask (although you have to buy a new headgear for the FFM ). Saves me from buying the whole set if I plan to try the other mask type from the dreamwear line.
2. Unobstructed view. Enabled me to watch tv or read a book with my mask on.
3. Swivel on top. Perfect for me because I ran my hose to come from below (between the headboard and mattress)
4. Minimal leaks when turning to the side.
5. Small footprint. Easy to store because frame is flexible.
6. Mask kit came with 3 sizes. Saved me from the hit and miss in choosing the correct size.

Cons:
1. I found slightly a bit louder than the comfort blue gel and I could hear myself breathing
2. The headgear would sometimes slide up when I move around in my sleep.
hearsay73
Hosehead padawan 
Repaying my sleep debt, 1 night at a time...
Post Reply Post Reply

Have been using this thing for 2 years and love it. 

Pros:
  • Comfort is awesome and I'm able to have it so much looser than the full face makes I've tried. 
  • I love that the connection is on top of my head so I'm not wrestling with it all night.
  • Fitting is easy and not super finnicky
Cons:
  • After about a year I was getting a whistling sound on the nasal exhaust port. Resolved by squeezing the nose piece a little
Post Reply Post Reply

I too am using the Dreamwear mask, and I do like it except that I am getting leaks & it does seem to be noisy at times. 

Recently, I started getting a whistling noise on my left side, and couldn't figure out what was going on until I took the mask apart for cleaning.  Then I saw a slight tear in the opening where the air tube on the left side fits into the mask.  In certain positions, this would let just enough air through to start a whistle.

My guess is that I tore the rim of the opening (which forms a seal) when I last reassembled the mask.  So just a caution for everyone out there that is considering this mask.

Sleep-well

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Post Reply Post Reply
Recently got the DreamWear nasal, and I find that the nasal opening is too large, pushing out air too strongly. Comparatively, the N30i's cradle has separated openings for each nostril, and thus the airflow seems to be less, being more comfortable. Edit: I think openings are about the same in size. It's the N30i's vent that vents greater air out, which reduces the strength of the air to the nose.

What happens with DreamWear is that, when I try to fall asleep, I believe the the machine increases the pressure, and I feel too strong airflow and wakes me up. Just like the P10 or N30 that shoot strong air bursts that wakes me up. Combining this with the aggressive Resmed algorithm, I get too many awakening throughout the night.

Reason why I was interested in this style of mask is the lack of straps. Since I have TMJ, I don't like straps around my jaw. Also, I had to go with DreamWear over N30i due to my large noggin that the N30i standard size being too small causing too tight of a fit.

Neither works for me. However, N30i's cushion design combined with DreamWear's large frame size would work for me. Or simply Resmed to offer a large frame size.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Product Review] AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 22 35,059 11-28-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Kathy14225
  [Product Review] Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 52 58,832 01-08-2023, 04:08 PM
Last Post: WakeUpTime
  [Product Review] The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 75 74,223 12-16-2021, 07:56 AM
Last Post: CorruptAlligator
  [Product Review] Philips Respironics Dreamwear Full Face Mask FLsleeper7 10 7,662 04-20-2020, 02:47 PM
Last Post: hmonnier
Wink [Product Review] ResMed AirFit N30i Review/Comparison with DreamWear srlevine1 5 8,577 12-13-2019, 05:35 PM
Last Post: Feedsack
  [Product Review] Respironics "Amara View" Full Face Mask JudgeMental 34 33,524 09-07-2019, 01:18 AM
Last Post: st8800
  [Product Review] New Dreamwear FFM Review April 7 2018 CZOscar 16 9,526 05-15-2018, 05:01 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.