Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Phillips-Respironics DreamWear
To reduce leaks at the nose, it helps to push the hose attachment toward the back of your head slightly. This pivots the entire mask, as if it were pivoting around a shaft extending between your two ears, so as to push the cushion upward against your nose. Because the frame is elastic, you can push the hose attachment a bit harder to stretch the frame a bit and increase the pressure against the underside of your nose. (These suggestions came from a friend who also uses the Dreamwear, and they work for me too.)

I find it most stable with the strap somewhat lower than the back of the head. If I position the strap straight back instead of downward, it tends to slide up, which loosens the mask.

The first night it made a lot of noise at the hose attachment. I removed the plastic pivot from the elastic frame and reinserted it, and that spot has been quiet ever since. I think the initial seal may not be good from the factory. The vent holes through the pivot seem well designed to be quiet.

Regarding the noise through the cushion, I think most of it is caused by an imperfect seal against your nose rather than the vent hole in the cushion because it drops dramatically if you get the cushion adjusted just right. I have to fiddle with the frame, rotating it tiny amounts left, right, fore and aft, and then wiggle the cushion a tiny amount, but I usually can get it very quiet.

If I can’t get it adjusted quite right, I agree that the noise from the cushion leak is more distracting than the P10, which makes a reliable seal with no fiddling, but the P10 irritates my nostrils a bit, while the Dreamwear does not.

Even when I can’t get the cushion leak completely quiet, the Sleepyhead software usually shows a surprisingly small leak.

Ordering a Small frame helped it remain more leak-free during the night. I am mainly a side-sleeper. When I roll from one side to the other, I usually have to shift the position of the frame a bit as described above.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 01:43 AM by beet.)
10-18-2016 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board
Shorty Offline

Members

Machine: Respironics DS560 auto
Mask Make & Model: Dreamwear Nasal
Humidifier: Respironics
CPAP Pressure: 6-12

Other Comments:

While I'm very happy with the general design of the mask, I find it very comfortable and often wake up thinking initially it has come off as I don't feel it when waking i'm very concerned at the quality of the headgear as it is failing rapidly nearly reaching the worn out stage after six months of use.
As replacement cost is in the region of $50+ here in Oz just for the headgear where the whole mask costs nearly $300 initially the quality is found severely wanting.
I rang Phillips here in Australia and they basically said "tough" and they only provide 3 months warranty.
When I stated that clearly wasn't good enough the replay was still "tough" and that I was free to buy whatever I wished including their replacement parts at whatever they cost.
Very tempted to bin the whole thing except it works so well, Very frustrated!!!
11-16-2016 07:51 PM
beet Offline

Members

Machine: Resmed AirSense 10 Autoset
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-11

Other Comments:

@Shorty: How is the headgear failing? Is it no longer making an airtight seal to the cushion or the swivel? (I've used mine only a short time, so don’t know what to expect.)
11-17-2016 11:55 PM

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 64 33,304 12-01-2016 11:06 PM
Last Post: Newbee2016
Thumbsup Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 49 23,364 11-07-2016 06:51 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 13 6,056 09-23-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks TomR1 16 9,236 11-01-2013 08:38 PM
Last Post: me50