Mask Type: Nasal mask
Mask Make & Model: Respironics Dreamwear
Humidifier: Resmed
CPAP Pressure: 5-11
CPAP Software: SleepyHead

Other Comments:

Sex: Male

RE: Phillips-Respironics DreamWear
To reduce leaks at the nose, it helps to push the hose attachment toward the back of your head slightly. This pivots the entire mask, as if it were pivoting around a shaft extending between your two ears, so as to push the cushion upward against your nose. Because the frame is elastic, you can push the hose attachment a bit harder to stretch the frame a bit and increase the pressure against the underside of your nose. (These suggestions came from a friend who also uses the Dreamwear, and they work for me too.)

I find it most stable with the strap somewhat lower than the back of the head. If I position the strap straight back instead of downward, it tends to slide up, which loosens the mask.

The first night it made a lot of noise at the hose attachment. I removed the plastic pivot from the elastic frame and reinserted it, and that spot has been quiet ever since. I think the initial seal may not be good from the factory. The vent holes through the pivot seem well designed to be quiet.

Regarding the noise through the cushion, I think most of it is caused by an imperfect seal against your nose rather than the vent hole in the cushion because it drops dramatically if you get the cushion adjusted just right. I have to fiddle with the frame, rotating it tiny amounts left, right, fore and aft, and then wiggle the cushion a tiny amount, but I usually can get it very quiet.

If I can’t get it adjusted quite right, I agree that the noise from the cushion leak is more distracting than the P10, which makes a reliable seal with no fiddling, but the P10 irritates my nostrils a bit, while the Dreamwear does not.

Even when I can’t get the cushion leak completely quiet, the Sleepyhead software usually shows a surprisingly small leak.

Ordering a Small frame helped it remain more leak-free during the night. I am mainly a side-sleeper. When I roll from one side to the other, I usually have to shift the position of the frame a bit as described above.
(This post was last modified: 10-18-2016 01:43 AM by beet.)
10-18-2016 01:31 AM
Find all posts by this user Post Reply Quote this message in a reply

Donate to Apnea Board

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  AirFit P10 versus DreamWear cmk17 13 5,249 09-23-2016 07:46 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
Thumbsup Respironics Nuance / Pro Mask Review allielb83 48 22,553 08-15-2016 04:55 PM
Last Post: PaulaO2
  The Respironics Wisp Nasal Mask trish6hundred 61 32,457 07-22-2015 09:31 PM
Last Post: me50
  F&P Forma and Phillips Amara Full Face masks TomR1 16 9,103 11-01-2013 08:38 PM
Last Post: me50