Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Phillips Respironics low pressure
Phillips Respironics low pressure
I have a Phillips Respironics System One. My pressure settings are 4/10. Normally, when I wake up at night, the pressure is around 6-8, and I can tell just by breathing that the machine has increased the pressure. For those that use these machines, you know what it is like when the machine increases the pressure. When I roll over onto my back, my throat closes and the machine ups the pressure to 8-9. When i wake up, I usually push the ramp button to drop the pressure back to 4, roll over, and go back to sleep.

But for the last week I've noticed what when I wake up, this hasn't happened. I wake up, and the machine is idling, no pressure increase. And the low pressure feels lower than usual. I've been using this machine for five years, and I'm very familiar with how it feels at low pressure, and the low pressure is not lower than it should be. I don't have a pressure guage, but I'm thinking of getting one. We have moved recently, so we don't have a supplier or provider here to check it for us.

If I look at the "info" display to see what the 80% pressure is, I see it has dropped from the usual 8.x to 6.x. AHI remains unchanged at about 2.5.

Is this a sign of the machine approaching the end of its life? It has about 5000 hours on it.
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Phillips Respironics low pressure
You can make a simple water manometer to measure pressure. It's convenient that cpap pressure is measured in cm-H2O.
Just get some clear tubing; make a U-shape bend; put water in such that it will support about 25 cm of water.

Hooked into a tee in your cpap line, the manometer will indicate the pressure by the difference in water column height in cm.
Be sure there is plenty of tubing on the open end to prevent a pressure transient from blowing water out the open end.

Machines are usually replaced at about 5 years; but their design life is about 10 years.

Perhaps you just don't need as much pressure.
Admin Note:
JustMongo passed away in August 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 10:47 AM)justMongo Wrote: You can make a simple water manometer to measure pressure. It's convenient that cpap pressure is measured in cm-H2O.
Just get some clear tubing; make a U-shape bend; put water in such that it will support about 25 cm of water.

Hooked into a tee in your cpap line, the manometer will indicate the pressure by the difference in water column height in cm.
Be sure there is plenty of tubing on the open end to prevent a pressure transient from blowing water out the open end.

Machines are usually replaced at about 5 years; but their design life is about 10 years.

Perhaps you just don't need as much pressure.

I've lost some weight recently, but I would not think it would make that much difference. I think I'll drop by a hardware store and get some plastic tubing and have a go at a home made manometer...how hard can that be?

Post Reply Post Reply
(03-12-2015, 11:07 AM)zootal Wrote: I've lost some weight recently, but I would not think it would make that much difference. I think I'll drop by a hardware store and get some plastic tubing and have a go at a home made manometer...how hard can that be?
Here is a link to a how-to build a manometer published in 2012:
http://www.apneaboard.com/forums/Thread-...ew-dollars
Crimson Nape
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com
Attaching Images and Files on Apnea Board
Apnea Helpful Tips

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi zootal,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Hang in there for more responses to your post and much success to you as you continue your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply
So I built an improvised manometer which consisted of my daughter holding some 1/2 plastic tubing in a big U, with a couple of inches of water in it. Mark the water level. Other end of tube goes into cpap hose, holding it with my hands so it doesn't leak. Set cpap to 4cm. Mark water level. Set cpap to 10cm. Mark water level.

Measure water level and much to my (pleasant) surprise, the first two marks were exactly 2cm apart, indicating that when it says 4cm, it really is putting out 4cm. The last mark was exactly 5cm from the first, indicating that when it says 10cm, it really is 10cm. Crude but surprisingly accurate.

So it looks like it really is putting out the pressure it says it is. Which leaves me at a loss as to why it doesn't ramp up the pressure while I sleep. I think I'll watch it a while longer and see. Maybe I really don't need as much pressure now that I've dropped 25 pounds?
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 183 29,026 03-24-2024, 06:30 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Phillips Dreamstation 2 High Disconnects mrsleepyhead2001 2 124 03-22-2024, 04:20 PM
Last Post: mrsleepyhead2001
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 200 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 228 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 783 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,464 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  Returning defective machines to Philips Respironics big_dave 5 671 02-04-2024, 02:15 PM
Last Post: big_dave

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.