Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Phillips Respironics mask resistance setting
Phillips Respironics mask resistance setting
How critical is the PR Mask resistance coding in their System One setup menu? I use mostly non-PR masks. Are there any rules of thumb for assigning a resistance code for nasal vs pillows vs full face "generic "masks? [/b][/size][/font]
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Phillips Respironics mask resistance setting
I don't know how critical the resistance setting actually is. I believe it is used by the machine to more accurately determine unintentional leaks.

As a general rule all full face and nasal masks will be set at X1. Nasal pillows will be set as follows: large- X1, medium- X2, small- X3 and petite-X4. As an alternative you could use the System One Resistance Control Chart to find a mask with a similar vent rate as the one you are using and use that mask's setting.

Sleep well,
Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
(10-09-2016, 09:18 AM)jmayer180 Wrote: How critical is the PR Mask resistance coding in their System One setup menu? I use mostly non-PR masks. Are there any rules of thumb for assigning a resistance code for nasal vs pillows vs full face "generic "masks? [/b][/size][/font]

If you are using a non PR mask it should be turned off. If using a PR mask the setting is indicated on the mask.

Post Reply Post Reply
The resistance setting is used by the machine to give the patient the correct pressure at the mask. It is called resistance setting because it is set to let the machine know how much resistance or pressure drop will be encountered by the air getting from the hose into the mask.

Best Regards,

PaytonA

Admin Note:
PaytonA passed away in September 2017
Click HERE to read his Memorial Thread

~ Rest in Peace ~
Post Reply Post Reply
Thanks for the clarification, Payton. I agree there is a perceived difference in pressure. Whether or not it is enough to matter I don't know. I prefer to use it, even with non PR masks, although turning it off is an option. I tend to use all of the bells and whistles that don't adversely affect my treatment or comfort.

Mitch
Useful Links
Download OSCAR
Organize your OSCAR and SleepyHead charts
Attaching images and files to posts

Advisory Members serve as an "Advisory Committee" to help shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply
Hi jmayer180,
WELCOME! to the forum.!
Good luck to you with your CPAP therapy.
trish6hundred
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  NOTICE: Philips Respironics Recall Replacement Tally RayBee 181 28,809 03-10-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: Phaleronic
  Setting time and date on Resmed Airsense 10 cmadon 42 32,010 03-08-2024, 09:13 AM
Last Post: Sleeprider
  AirSense 10 Max Pressure setting Tomt 13 810 03-04-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Tomt
  [Equipment] Phillips DreamStation Replacement & Medicare oneeyeopen 3 179 02-29-2024, 01:29 PM
Last Post: Deborah K.
  Complete Newb trying a Respironics Legacy CPAP for the first time. Dmickey68 5 219 02-28-2024, 03:20 PM
  Dreamwear Philips Respironics mask altrout 12 753 02-12-2024, 03:04 PM
Last Post: tbhausen
Question Just given a Phillips Dreamstation 2 the same day Phillips agrees to stop selling Montacute 39 1,422 02-09-2024, 11:54 AM

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.