Hello Guest, Welcome to Apnea Board !
As a guest, you are limited to certain areas of the board and there are some features you can't use.
To post a message, you must create a free account using a valid email address.

or Create an Account

Phrenic nerve stimulator thoughts?
Phrenic nerve stimulator thoughts?
Cardiologist wants me to look at a rememde phrenic nerve stimulator implant to give me relief from my CA. I have been on an ASV for four years with reasonable success. The doctor installing the implant said this would cure my CA and wouldn't be a puff of air. He is working with my sleep doctor to get her opinion. My question is? If all three drs. say yes to the procedure what should I do it? Your thoughts and experiences would be appreciated!!!
Post Reply Post Reply
RE: Phrenic nerve stimulator thoughts?
I don't have enough info about your centrals to even venture a guess at this. What is the cause of your centrals?

What is the nature of the stimulator they are going to implant, what are it's algorithms? Precisely and specifically what events actually drive the stimulator?

I'm not against the surgery, just in formed on both the implant and your centrals.
Post Reply Post Reply
This is a relatively new technology approved in 2017 for treatment of CSA. The clinical trials were relatively small and I have no awareness of another member of the forum getting the implant. I hope if you choose to do it, you will continue to participate here and document your experience. From this article https://pulmccm.org/randomized-controlle...eep-apnea/

"FDA approved remedē System after a small clinical trial in 141 patients, who were implanted with either the working system or an inactivated device. At six months of followup, about half the patients with the Respicardia system had a ≥50% decrease in their apnea-hypopnea index (number of impaired breathing events per hour). Only one in 9 patients with a deactivated system had a similar improvement in overnight breathing.

Generally speaking, the FDA has a much less rigorous review process to approve devices, compared to drugs. Manufacturers must prove the device is safe, probably effective, and roughly comparable to existing devices."
Sleeprider
Apnea Board Moderator
www.ApneaBoard.com

Organize your OSCAR Charts
Attaching Files
Mask Primer
How To Deal With Equipment Supplier

INFORMATION ON APNEA BOARD FORUMS OR ON APNEABOARD.COM SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED AS MEDICAL ADVICE. ALWAYS SEEK THE ADVICE OF A PHYSICIAN BEFORE SEEKING TREATMENT FOR MEDICAL CONDITIONS, INCLUDING SLEEP APNEA. INFORMATION POSTED ON THE APNEA BOARD WEB SITE AND FORUMS ARE PERSONAL OPINION ONLY AND NOT NECESSARILY A STATEMENT OF FACT.
Post Reply Post Reply
Remember, even if all three (or more!) doctors say 'yes', you can still say 'NO" if you feel unconvinced or uncomfortable for any reason. You still have your ASV, after all.
Apnea Board Monitors are members who help oversee the smooth functioning of the Board. They are also members of the Advisory Committee which helps shape Apnea Board's rules & policies. Membership in the Advisory Members group does not imply medical expertise or qualification for advising Sleep Apnea patients concerning their treatment.
Post Reply Post Reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Question Any thoughts on why my heart rate increases when using CPAP? hejohoo 3 963 04-08-2024, 09:59 AM
Last Post: hejohoo
  What are your thoughts on dental Daytime Nightime Appliances (DNA)? NoddingHacker 13 2,849 01-24-2024, 05:55 PM
Last Post: Msevcsisin
  I cannot fall asleep with my bipap/home ventilator. Hypoglossal nerve stimulator? Jay51 220 15,078 01-17-2024, 11:02 AM
Last Post: Jay51
  Your thoughts on my stats Brennie 60 2,711 12-30-2023, 09:03 PM
Last Post: Brennie
  some thoughts after a few weeks? ifsmithy 39 1,674 12-21-2023, 02:07 PM
Last Post: UnicornRider
  Thoughts on my data (after double jaw surgery) accetableplaintain 2 458 11-27-2023, 06:30 AM
Last Post: accetableplaintain
  New mask, thoughts on my sleep data? SleepyMcDonald 1 421 11-08-2023, 11:13 AM
Last Post: gainerfull

About Apnea Board

Apnea Board is an educational web site designed to empower Sleep Apnea patients.